• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Daredevil 181

10 posts in this topic

I have a comic it appears to be in near mint condition, but when shown the light it looks like someone had done they are homework on it and there’s a couple of sentences indented on the front cover.  The only way to describe is it someone I put some looseleaf paper over the front cover and wrote out the grocery list. Could pressing remove this or is the comic spoiled? Thank you, Richard 

24 minutes ago, Brooklynmet said:

I have a comic it appears to be in near mint condition, but when shown the light it looks like someone had done they are homework on it and there’s a couple of sentences indented on the front cover.  The only way to describe is it someone I put some looseleaf paper over the front cover and wrote out the grocery list. Could pressing remove this or is the comic spoiled? Thank you, Richard 

Pressing might be able to press the indentation out if there's no break in color in the indentation.  Can u post a scan of the cover 

I think that's referred to as an "embossing" defect (not the same as an embossed cover) when you have writing/drawing indentation on the cover.  It's considered cover wear and that particular area is relative large, looks to be about 1.5" x 0.5"

CGC 8.5.  Will likely press out (along with the minor spine roll) mostly or fully and raise up to 9.0 / 9.2 range

2 hours ago, davet75 said:

I think that's referred to as an "embossing" defect (not the same as an embossed cover) when you have writing/drawing indentation on the cover.

I have a few book that also writing indentations that appear to be deep....

it looks someone actually were grading the comic, and after putting the book in a bag and backer , I think they put a blank sticker on the front on the Bag and then wrote the grade with comic under neath ....because on a couple issues I have I can actual see in writing indentations .....

"VF-

$26.00"

in indentations on the cover...

It is complete indentations ...no ink or anything have even remotely bleed through...

do you have any idea what kind of effect this would have on the grade on a comic...

thanks

On 12/9/2018 at 5:50 PM, billbrown7080 said:

I have a few book that also writing indentations that appear to be deep....

it looks someone actually were grading the comic, and after putting the book in a bag and backer , I think they put a blank sticker on the front on the Bag and then wrote the grade with comic under neath ....because on a couple issues I have I can actual see in writing indentations .....

"VF-

$26.00"

in indentations on the cover...

It is complete indentations ...no ink or anything have even remotely bleed through...

do you have any idea what kind of effect this would have on the grade on a comic...

thanks

It's considered cover wear similar to non-color breaking creases and bends.  Obviously the size and depth of the embossing defect will determine the severity of the defect.  Without this defect, this book would likely be a 9.2 due to slight spine roll.  A good press will improve or perhaps eliminate both defects.

2 minutes ago, davet75 said:

It's considered cover wear similar to non-color breaking creases and bends.  Obviously the size and depth of the embossing defect will determine the severity of the defect.  Without this defect, this book would likely be a 9.2 due to slight spine roll.  A good press will improve or perhaps eliminate both defects.

in a post above you said its a 8.5 the way it is now....

but would be a 9.2 if it didnt have the defect or got a press....

so were talking around a .5 to 1.0 discount usually for this "Indentation defect"?

7 minutes ago, billbrown7080 said:

in a post above you said its a 8.5 the way it is now....

but would be a 9.2 if it didnt have the defect or got a press....

so were talking around a .5 to 1.0 discount usually for this "Indentation defect"?

for this particular one yes, that's my estimate.  Again, depends on the size and severity of the defect.  Although I admit that i haven't looked at a lot of embossing defects specifically to estimate their effect on a grade

Edited by davet75