• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To tape or not to tape
1 1

31 posts in this topic

I was preparing to send this book to CGC and I gerbered (mylite caught a flap) the bottom inside corner of my WTotF 7.  I don't like how it looks without the chip and am willing to accept whatever label from CGC.  I want to see what everyone else' opinion on this is; would you leave it alone or tape the chip?  

Thanks,

JP  

IMG_3313.JPG

IMG_3314.JPG

IMG_3315.JPG

Edited by comicquant

14 minutes ago, oldrover said:

I recently had this happen to a book. I understand the temptation. 

But dont. 

I agree at this point.  I talked to a couple of others as well and the consensus is to accept it for what it is.  The tape would be considered restoration since its fixing an issue.  Ugh, the front cover presented well for the grade until this happened.  Oh well, I guess its time to upgrade.  I almost have to upgrade because now everytime I look at it all I see is the chip (shrug).

8 hours ago, comicquant said:

Oh well, I guess its time to upgrade.  I almost have to upgrade because now everytime I look at it all I see is the chip (shrug).

Therein lies the real problem. From experience, the book will forever pain you to even look at it. I would just sell it, as is, with the chip. Let the new owner decide what to do. 

15 minutes ago, oldrover said:

Yes, that is true. I was thinking scotch tape.

And now I must be channeling my inner Tony Stark... because at 11am I'm thinking scotch. LOL

Don't drink paint when thinking abut painter's tape. Pro tip

3 minutes ago, comicquant said:

So if I used a small piece of scotch tape I'd be okay (universal label).  I say "if" because I probably won't do it, but if I do I just want to be certain.

You're talking about it... that means you're thinking about it. :)

Dude, you realize you have NO MARGIN FOR ERROR... if you miss with that tape, and have to peel it off... ugh...

1 minute ago, oldrover said:

You're talking about it... that means you're thinking about it. :)

Dude, you realize you have NO MARGIN FOR ERROR... if you miss with that tape, and have to peel it off... ugh...

Oh I know.  I doubt I'll do it for that reason.  If it's not on there perfectly it would look even worse.  The only thing I could think would help is to "clamp" the piece and the cover to a substrate to line the piece up, then tape it.  But, then you risk ripping the cover.  The spine is already split to just beneath the bottom staple.

1 minute ago, joeypost said:

Yes, but it really isn’t worth it. 

Based on all the input I'm definitely not going to do it.  I think I'll just search for an upgrade and in the meantime, practice not shaking my head then uttering the words "You ####ing insufficiently_thoughtful_person" every time I look at the book.