• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To tape or not to tape
1 1

31 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, comicquant said:

I was putting it in the mylar (mylite 4) and it got caught on the flap and just sliced it off.  

That is why I dislike Mylars. I always replace them with the soft comic bags (CGC prefers too).  The Mylars make me nervous.

3 hours ago, JollyComics said:

That is why I dislike Mylars. I always replace them with the soft comic bags (CGC prefers too).  The Mylars make me nervous.

I like to use an oversized 1 mil mylite Bag(soft) and Board, flap taped at the bottom, and then slide this combo into the 4mil mylar. Just putting a book into a 4mil Mylar can be dangerous. It's really irritating to damage a book while inspecting/scanning for submission. Back in the day when I was submitting in quantity, after a couple accidents, I stopped the inspection/scanning altogether. I'd rather get a disappointing grade than to have an accident. Clipping a corner, incurring a tear, dinging a corner, fingerprints, etc. and all this before even being shipped. Scary.

33 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I like to use an oversized 1 mil mylite Bag(soft) and Board, flap taped at the bottom, and then slide this combo into the 4mil mylar. Just putting a book into a 4mil Mylar can be dangerous. It's really irritating to damage a book while inspecting/scanning for submission. Back in the day when I was submitting in quantity, after a couple accidents, I stopped the inspection/scanning altogether. I'd rather get a disappointing grade than to have an accident. Clipping a corner, incurring a tear, dinging a corner, fingerprints, etc. and all this before even being shipped. Scary.

Well, I stopped using them. The edges are too sharp. I carefully slide few books inside Mylar (any size or any kind). The covers were detached or split. The aged comic books are too fragile. That was when I decided not to use them further.

Sorry, could not keep my mouth shut...:devil:

Tape on the inside of the cover where it is not seen, still gets a Blue Label, it will not affect the grade and the piece will not be missing or destroyed

Or Use a very small dab of...

https://www.joann.com/zip-dry-glue/8458960.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8qHRrI-Y3wIVkITICh3D6Ag9EAQYASABEgKSKfD_BwE

download.jpg

Edited by marvelmaniac

3 hours ago, marvelmaniac said:

Tape on the inside of the cover where it is not seen, still gets a Blue Label, it will not affect the grade and the piece will not be missing or destroyed

That sounds great! I'm ready to fix my X-Men book! Well... except for one thing....

tenor.gif

I'll be in the minority here. But saying "it would only be for the aesthetics" is like saying "it's only for love" .  Aesthetics, appearance matter. 

I would neatly  tape the loose corner back on from the inside.  With archival document repair tape. LINECO brand from Blicks for instance.  I don't believe it will get a purple label from CGC for that - although I will say CGC leaves blue or purple in such situations in question. It MIGHT get purple. Which is why if it was my book I'd tape the corner back on with archival tape and I'd send it to Voldy, who uses CGC's old stance on tape and says outright if you tape, use archival. 

I also hate the thicker Mylar bags, just for this reason. I'd rather just change out bags every 3-5 years then risk damage like this. 

Edited by Tony S

19 minutes ago, Tony S said:

I'll be in the minority here. But saying "it would only be for the aesthetics" is like saying "it's only for love" .  Aesthetics, appearance matter. 

I would neatly  tape the loose corner back on from the inside.  With archival document repair tape. LINECO brand from Blicks for instance.  I don't believe it will get a purple label from CGC for that - although I will say CGC leaves blue or purple in such situations in question. It MIGHT get purple. Which is why if it was my book I'd tape the corner back on with archival tape and I'd send it to Voldy, who uses CGC's old stance on tape and says outright if you tape, use archival. 

I also hate the thicker Mylar bags, just for this reason. I'd rather just change out bags every 3-5 years then risk damage like this. 

Thanks Tony.  I had tagged you in the original post but removed it because I know you're a professional, so I appreciate the feedback.  Is this the correct tape?  I bought it in case I decided to repair it but then found out the archival tape could get a PLOD.  Do you know of any instance of archival tape not getting a PLOD?       

IMG_3397.JPG

Yes, that's the tape I spoke of. And yes, I have seen books with a small amount of archival tape on the inside cover or interior of a book come back blue label from CGC. If you decide to tape loose piece back on, it's going to be tiny amount of tape. 

Again, CGC's stance on this is a little hard to interpret.  And they generally don't answer "what if" questions.