• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay seller fees

63 posts in this topic

I’m sure this has been discussed in the past but could not find anything.  Plus having trouble finding a straight answer on eBay.  What does eBay charge for selling books?   Is there a fixed percentage and a cap?  Thanks in advance. Anyones help is greatly appreciate.  

4 minutes ago, kav said:

I think its 10% then paypal takes 3%

Silly me used to think that it was something much more reasonable like 2% or 3%, especially if you take into account the questionable quality of some of the bidders you would find on eBay.  meh

For those kinds of outrageous fees, if you have any books of real value, you may as well simply just go with the auction houses like CC and CL who has a built-in focused customer base for your books and who will also take care of all of the prep listing work for you.  And all at something that is generally lower than the 13% fee charged by eBay which provides you with only their auction site platform, but no additional services after that.  hm

29 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Silly me used to think that it was something much more reasonable like 2% or 3%, especially if you take into account the questionable quality of some of the bidders you would find on eBay.  meh

For those kinds of outrageous fees, if you have any books of real value, you may as well simply just go with the auction houses like CC and CL who has a built-in focused customer base for your books and who will also take care of all of the prep listing work for you.  And all at something that is generally lower than the 13% fee charged by eBay which provides you with only their auction site platform, but no additional services after that.  hm

Sell on these boards instead

42 minutes ago, kav said:

I think its 10% then paypal takes 3%

This is correct.  Last week I sold a book for a friend and had to go through and itemize all the fees etc.  The 10% is pretty standard if you're using a service to sell the book.  The 3% is just them kicking dirt in your face.  I always thought the PayPal fee was included in the 10% but found out last year it wasn't.

1 minute ago, comicquant said:

This is correct.  Last week I sold a book for a friend and had to go through and itemize all the fees etc.  The 10% is pretty standard if you're using a service to sell the book.  The 3% is just them kicking dirt in your face.  I always thought the PayPal fee was included in the 10% but found out last year it wasn't.

It's pretty steep but its better than the days when a comic shop would give you $15 for a $100 book.

8 minutes ago, LordRahl said:

There is a cap though unlike the big auction houses. The cap is $750. For very expensive books this could be a large chunk of change versus what you'd pay CL or CC, etc. 

Is there really?  I'm pretty sure its always 10% no matter what the sale price is.

3 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Do they still charge 10% on postage too? That used to annoy me. 

Yes.

And paypal takes 2.9% plus $0.30 per transaction. So if you sell a lot of individual comics like I do, it works out to 4-5% actually.

1 hour ago, GM8 said:
4 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Do they still charge 10% on postage too? That used to annoy me. 

Yes.

And paypal takes 2.9% plus $0.30 per transaction. So if you sell a lot of individual comics like I do, it works out to 4-5% actually.

I haven't sold in a long time but I seem to recall at one point eBay UK would cap the amount you could charge for comic postage. Trouble is, it was below what you actually paid, and then you lost 10% of it. I changed to free P&P with that cost built in in the end. I don't mind paying a fee for a service. After all, ebay is quick and easy and gives you global reach from your armchair. But I don't like the little bits here and there approach. A fee, a paypal fee, a postage fee. a listing fee. Just list one % fee and leave be done with it!

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I haven't sold in a long time but I seem to recall at one point eBay UK would cap the amount you could charge for comic postage. Trouble is, it was below what you actually paid, and then you lost 10% of it. I changed to free P&P with that cost built in in the end. I don't mind paying a fee for a service. After all, ebay is quick and easy and gives you global reach from your armchair. But I don't like the little bits here and there approach. A fee, a paypal fee, a postage fee. a listing fee. Just list one % fee and leave be done with it!

leave be done with it? 

Never change your sentence midway through :grin:

^ and shipping is much easier now, plus it often qualifies for a discount, and my trips to post office to ship are much more infrequent.  All those comparison based on ebay several years ago vs today.

My own sense after listing here a few times as what I will always be, a perennial noob, is that I'm better off just selling on feebay, despite the negatives.  Though imo, long-established boardies often can do 'better' here, I agree with that.