eBay seller fees
2 2

62 posts in this topic

553 posts

I’m sure this has been discussed in the past but could not find anything.  Plus having trouble finding a straight answer on eBay.  What does eBay charge for selling books?   Is there a fixed percentage and a cap?  Thanks in advance. Anyones help is greatly appreciate.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49,520 posts

I think its 10% then paypal takes 3%

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,974 posts
4 minutes ago, kav said:

I think its 10% then paypal takes 3%

Silly me used to think that it was something much more reasonable like 2% or 3%, especially if you take into account the questionable quality of some of the bidders you would find on eBay.  meh

For those kinds of outrageous fees, if you have any books of real value, you may as well simply just go with the auction houses like CC and CL who has a built-in focused customer base for your books and who will also take care of all of the prep listing work for you.  And all at something that is generally lower than the 13% fee charged by eBay which provides you with only their auction site platform, but no additional services after that.  hm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,331 posts
29 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Silly me used to think that it was something much more reasonable like 2% or 3%, especially if you take into account the questionable quality of some of the bidders you would find on eBay.  meh

For those kinds of outrageous fees, if you have any books of real value, you may as well simply just go with the auction houses like CC and CL who has a built-in focused customer base for your books and who will also take care of all of the prep listing work for you.  And all at something that is generally lower than the 13% fee charged by eBay which provides you with only their auction site platform, but no additional services after that.  hm

Sell on these boards instead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,553 posts
42 minutes ago, kav said:

I think its 10% then paypal takes 3%

This is correct.  Last week I sold a book for a friend and had to go through and itemize all the fees etc.  The 10% is pretty standard if you're using a service to sell the book.  The 3% is just them kicking dirt in your face.  I always thought the PayPal fee was included in the 10% but found out last year it wasn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49,520 posts
1 minute ago, comicquant said:

This is correct.  Last week I sold a book for a friend and had to go through and itemize all the fees etc.  The 10% is pretty standard if you're using a service to sell the book.  The 3% is just them kicking dirt in your face.  I always thought the PayPal fee was included in the 10% but found out last year it wasn't.

It's pretty steep but its better than the days when a comic shop would give you $15 for a $100 book.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49,520 posts

Or even less if you didnt know what you had-like $2 for ASM 129.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,977 posts

There is a cap though unlike the big auction houses. The cap is $750. For very expensive books this could be a large chunk of change versus what you'd pay CL or CC, etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,553 posts
8 minutes ago, LordRahl said:

There is a cap though unlike the big auction houses. The cap is $750. For very expensive books this could be a large chunk of change versus what you'd pay CL or CC, etc. 

Is there really?  I'm pretty sure its always 10% no matter what the sale price is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
473 posts
7 minutes ago, comicquant said:

Is there really?  I'm pretty sure its always 10% no matter what the sale price is.

Back 2014 it was only $250 and ever since hiked it to $750.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,553 posts
Just now, BAT MAN said:

Back 2014 it was only $250 and ever since hiked it to $750.

Josh, if you're reading this, pretend you didn't :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
544 posts
3 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Do they still charge 10% on postage too? That used to annoy me. 

Yes.

 

And paypal takes 2.9% plus $0.30 per transaction. So if you sell a lot of individual comics like I do, it works out to 4-5% actually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,184 posts

If you have an ebay store, fees are 9.15% with a $250 cap. Ebay also runs seller promos. Through today, I am able to list and sell items with a $10 final value fee cap. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,954 posts
1 hour ago, GM8 said:
4 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Do they still charge 10% on postage too? That used to annoy me. 

Yes.

 

And paypal takes 2.9% plus $0.30 per transaction. So if you sell a lot of individual comics like I do, it works out to 4-5% actually.

I haven't sold in a long time but I seem to recall at one point eBay UK would cap the amount you could charge for comic postage. Trouble is, it was below what you actually paid, and then you lost 10% of it. I changed to free P&P with that cost built in in the end. I don't mind paying a fee for a service. After all, ebay is quick and easy and gives you global reach from your armchair. But I don't like the little bits here and there approach. A fee, a paypal fee, a postage fee. a listing fee. Just list one % fee and leave be done with it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,954 posts
1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I haven't sold in a long time but I seem to recall at one point eBay UK would cap the amount you could charge for comic postage. Trouble is, it was below what you actually paid, and then you lost 10% of it. I changed to free P&P with that cost built in in the end. I don't mind paying a fee for a service. After all, ebay is quick and easy and gives you global reach from your armchair. But I don't like the little bits here and there approach. A fee, a paypal fee, a postage fee. a listing fee. Just list one % fee and leave be done with it!

leave be done with it? 

Never change your sentence midway through :grin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,346 posts
4 hours ago, Shrevvy said:

If you have an ebay store, fees are 9.15% with a $250 cap

They can't even give you a full 1% break?   Greedy *&@%#*^$

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,977 posts
12 hours ago, comicquant said:

Is there really?  I'm pretty sure its always 10% no matter what the sale price is.

I'm 100% positive there is a cap of $750.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,459 posts

^ and shipping is much easier now, plus it often qualifies for a discount, and my trips to post office to ship are much more infrequent.  All those comparison based on ebay several years ago vs today.

My own sense after listing here a few times as what I will always be, a perennial noob, is that I'm better off just selling on feebay, despite the negatives.  Though imo, long-established boardies often can do 'better' here, I agree with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
2 2