• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay seller fees

63 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, grebal said:

^ and shipping is much easier now, plus it often qualifies for a discount, and my trips to post office to ship are much more infrequent.  All those comparison based on ebay several years ago vs today.

My own sense after listing here a few times as what I will always be, a perennial noob, is that I'm better off just selling on feebay, despite the negatives.  Though imo, long-established boardies often can do 'better' here, I agree with that.

I only sell here and on the bay with 2 accounts. I make about $750 a month minimum on cheap books and lots and that is a nice income when I need it and great for the wash, rinse, repeat selling style that I have. It takes time but I have no other real hobbies and enjopy being home with the family instead of out gallivanting.

46 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

Everyone should stay off eBay because it sucks so bad. I'll be out there taking the bullet for you. How I suffer.

:facepalm:rantrant

Yes, you whiny people_without_enough_empathy. You pay 10% to a company that has billions of eyeballs on it that allows you to sell your product quite literally anywhere. I have regular customers in Australia, Germany, South Africa, Singapore, and Argentina, plus regulars in the United States that buy my stuff.

You pay 2.9% (less if you have  business account, which is less than either Visa, MasterCard, or Amex) for the ability to have instantaneous verified money.

I'm old, so I remember when it used to be a hassle to sell comics. You had to do mail order, you had to make catalogs, or you had to set up at shows. You got CHECKS, which you had to wait to clear, sometimes they bounced, and it was a pain to go to the bank and stamp them.

I can make a very nice second income while never leaving my house with absolutely zero infrastructure costs.

rantrant:facepalm:

So do you sip or gulp the Kool-Aid???

5 minutes ago, comicquant said:

So do you sip or gulp the Kool-Aid???

Is it Original Owner Kool-Aid?

1 hour ago, FlyingDonut said:

Everyone should stay off eBay because it sucks so bad. I'll be out there taking the bullet for you. How I suffer.

:facepalm:rantrant

Yes, you whiny people_without_enough_empathy. You pay 10% to a company that has billions of eyeballs on it that allows you to sell your product quite literally anywhere. I have regular customers in Australia, Germany, South Africa, Singapore, and Argentina, plus regulars in the United States that buy my stuff.

You pay 2.9% (less if you have  business account, which is less than either Visa, MasterCard, or Amex) for the ability to have instantaneous verified money.

I'm old, so I remember when it used to be a hassle to sell comics. You had to do mail order, you had to make catalogs, or you had to set up at shows. You got CHECKS, which you had to wait to clear, sometimes they bounced, and it was a pain to go to the bank and stamp them.

I can make a very nice second income while never leaving my house with absolutely zero infrastructure costs.

rantrant:facepalm:

Keep your hair on FD.  I did acknowledge the positives in my post so don't lump us all in the same boat. I would just prefer a simplified fee structure instead of little bits all over. And maybe slightly cheaper fees. And a car. Free money. A Thor #19 newsstand. 

Is that too much to ask?

17 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Keep your hair on FD.  I did acknowledge the positives in my post so don't lump us all in the same boat. I would just prefer a simplified fee structure instead of little bits all over. And maybe slightly cheaper fees. And a car. Free money. A Thor #19 newsstand. 

Is that too much to ask?

It is a simplified fee structure - it used to be much more complex with higher fees for lower amounts. Your total price is X. You give eBay 10% of X. The end. If you use paypal, you give them 2.9% of X.

30 minutes ago, Jeffro. said:

Nobody, anywhere is ever happy about fees but what's your solution? All things considered is there a better option?

There is no better option.

I don't like them either. Every single decision and change eBay has made in the past 20 years has made it harder to sell stuff. They clearly don't want small time sellers anymore. That being said eBay had the first mover advantage and completely dominates the market. If you don't want to use eBay, that's your business, but for the overwhelming majority of comic book sales, you will be losing revenue and eyeballs anywhere else.

4 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

It is a simplified fee structure - it used to be much more complex with higher fees for lower amounts. Your total price is X. You give eBay 10% of X. The end. If you use paypal, you give them 2.9% of X.

Did you get out of the bed the wrong side today FD? I included some flippancy in my post. 

You may well have that simplification, if you have an account of some sort. In the UK, without such an account, I pay a listing fee, a final value fee, a final value fee on postage, a  PayPal fee and have to provide a blood sample. 

So it could be simpler. 

1 minute ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Did you get out of the bed the wrong side today FD? I included some flippancy in my post. 

You may well have that simplification, if you have an account of some sort. In the UK, without such an account, I pay a listing fee, a final value fee, a final value fee on postage, a  PayPal fee and have to provide a blood sample. 

So it could be simpler. 

I wasn't counting the listing fee. Final value fee is 10% on everything - that's what I meant.

10 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

So it could be simpler. 

At least here in the US every account gets 50 free listing per month. My "better" account with much more feedback also gets promotions offered, such as $10 final value fee cap (which I used once this month on a $400 item) and 100 free auction listings (which I managed to get 80 up and running while I was home off work).

1 minute ago, Bird said:

At least here in the US every account gets 50 free listing per month. My "better" account with much more feedback also gets promotions offered, such as $10 final value fee cap (which I used once this month on a $400 item) and 100 free auction listings (which I managed to get 80 up and running while I was home off work).

Yes, that happens occasionally - at random intervals I still get a free listing offer. When I was selling, it would usually come just after I'd listed everything!  The drafts I used to sit on waiting for it to come...:bigsmile:

I haven't checked but our (UK) cap is £250 I believe. 

35 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

Neither. I just get paid.

I know, I was kidding. But, like you said, its about the number of eyes seeing whatever you're selling.  95% of the time, if I don't sell something on the boards I put it up on eBay and it sells for my asking price (not including fees).  

45 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

I wasn't counting the listing fee. Final value fee is 10% on everything - that's what I meant.

Got ya.

Joking aside, ebay's positives far outweigh their negatives.  I wouldn't have 90% of my collection without it. The fact that I can locate that obscure book, or myself sell a book to a worldwide audience without leaving my house is nothing short of fabulous. Do they tinker and annoy with their policy changes? Yes and thrice yes. Are some of the users certifiably insane? Absolutely. Would I be without it? Not in a million years. Also, it's a one stop price guide, if you know what you're doing. All that for 14% or so when you sell. It's a bargain really, warts and all. 

6 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Got ya.

Joking aside, ebay's positives far outweigh their negatives.  I wouldn't have 90% of my collection without it. The fact that I can locate that obscure book, or myself sell a book to a worldwide audience without leaving my house is nothing short of fabulous. Do they tinker and annoy with their policy changes? Yes and thrice yes. Are some of the users certifiably insane? Absolutely. Would I be without it? Not in a million years. Also, it's a one stop price guide, if you know what you're doing. All that for 14% or so when you sell. It's a bargain really, warts and all. 

Oh, and I forgot to add that as a researcher, it's an invaluable resource. 

22 minutes ago, PunisherPunisherPunisher said:

Im a fan of eBay as a buyer, not so much as a seller

This right here.  Honestly the fees don't bug me all that much since 10% is relatively standard.  But I'll never sell a high dollar book on eBay as long as their current policy of "Buyer first, buyer second, buyer third.  What sellers?" still exists.  There's too many horror stories about successful eBay return scams floating around out there.  I've personally never experienced one, but even with the relatively lower dollar books I sell, I'm still anticipating one day getting a complaint about a scratched case and then receiving a phone book from Boise, ID in return.

The good stuff always gets consigned to a trusted third party.

2 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

This right here.  Honestly the fees don't bug me all that much since 10% is relatively standard.  But I'll never sell a high dollar book on eBay as long as their current policy of "Buyer first, buyer second, buyer third.  What sellers?" still exists.  There's too many horror stories about successful eBay return scams floating around out there.  I've personally never experienced one, but even with the relatively lower dollar books I sell, I'm still anticipating one day getting a complaint about a scratched case and then receiving a phone book from Boise, ID in return.

The good stuff always gets consigned to a trusted third party.

Exactly

As a seller on eBay, your on a hiding to nothing 

As a buyer, find a bargain and its paradise