• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

finally the return of the run collector

39 posts in this topic

was at a two day convention here in Los Angeles and the overwhelming buzz in the convention hall where collectors looking to complete runs. :banana:Yes, you heard me correct in that collectors were less interested in keys and wanted to complete runs and story arcs so as to read and admire the work of their favs .:golfclap: The dealers I spoke with were taken back a bit and were desperately cracking open slabs so collectors could buy and finish their runs AND read their books.:cloud9:

Then the dog woke me up, runny nose in my face. leash in his mouth, tail wagging eagerly in hopes I'd take him on a walk:sorry:

Not so sure that we can put the "endangered species" tag on run collectors yet. Been watching 2 OO collections being sold off in the forum and looks like plenty of people still buying "run" issues instead of just keys (and these are mainly SA DC books).

2 minutes ago, KPR Comics said:

"What and how I collect is cool, what and how you collect sucks?"

You've got that exactly backwards...., :baiting: 

4 hours ago, bc said:

Not so sure that we can put the "endangered species" tag on run collectors yet. Been watching 2 OO collections being sold off in the forum and looks like plenty of people still buying "run" issues instead of just keys (and these are mainly SA DC books).

I do agree there is a fairly high number of Silver-Age run collectors on the boards compared to what I see at the average Con.  The run collectors on the boards are looking for really good prices but at least they are buying.  The unsold book in my thread will be posted up on E-Bay in batches at a slightly higher price to account for fees and I'm curious to see how quickly they sell.

Edited by 1Cool

I think it depends on how the collectors were taught.  If the local store stocks run issues, prices them fairly, and keeps the bins fresh and clean, people will appreciate them.  If all you care about is wall books, or you price like the pigs in Ottawa who want between $3.50 and $7 for run issues of 80s and 90's drek, people will say "runs are too expensive, I'll just buy the keys."  Venting.

We did have a recent comic-only con where they advertised pretty widely, and had a lot of novice collectors come in.  They were genuinely wowed by the selection, and I just hope the aforementioned pigs didnt scare them with their prices.  I'll either be helping out with Spreads' booth, or getting my own for the first time.  With that many new people, I intend to educate the peasants before they get scalped.

59 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

I think it ultimately all comes down to price. Every show I go to, I'll see a bunch of folks congregating around the 50 cent, dollar and $5-under bins with lists, notebooks, spreadsheets on their phones, etc, trying to fill in their runs. They just don't want to spend a lot doing it. I think the interest is out there, the market just has to meet it.

But with the "cheapening" of the run collectors I hope they realize they will have to set up $5 booths at shows or sell them to a dealer for a couple bucks a piece when they go to sell.  You can't expect to buy books for a couple bucks but want to sell their run heavy collections for top dollar.  I love having to deal with a seller who quotes me guide prices but doesn't like it when I say I'd pay that if people were paying 1.5 guide.

5 hours ago, 1Cool said:

But with the "cheapening" of the run collectors I hope they realize they will have to set up $5 booths at shows or sell them to a dealer for a couple bucks a piece when they go to sell.

Those aren't run collectors.  Those are what I call "quitters."

11 hours ago, bc said:

The fact that you are talking about likely high grade SA DC books kind of negates the idea that this is evidence of original owners. 

1 hour ago, darkstar said:
13 hours ago, bc said:

The fact that you are talking about likely high grade SA DC books kind of negates the idea that this is evidence of original owners. 

The Dangling Donut's definition of Original Owner is that they were originally owned by someone.  And that seems to be most other peeps definition around here as well.

I was never a key collector.  The most fun I had collecting comics was putting together runs.  I would collect them, read them and sometimes sell them or keep them.   Comics are expensive now so collecting runs becomes a pricing issue.  Plus many comic shops by me, no longer carry any back issues.  Comics finally get awareness through movies, etc. but it makes it impossible for the bottom feeder like myself to enjoy the hobby.

17 hours ago, 1Cool said:

But with the "cheapening" of the run collectors I hope they realize they will have to set up $5 booths at shows or sell them to a dealer for a couple bucks a piece when they go to sell.  You can't expect to buy books for a couple bucks but want to sell their run heavy collections for top dollar.  I love having to deal with a seller who quotes me guide prices but doesn't like it when I say I'd pay that if people were paying 1.5 guide.

That's certainly true, but this particular breed of run collector that I see these days doesn't seem to be looking to sell, nor are they concerned about condition. They just want cheap runs of characters they like. I'm 100% sure you're right and there are many exceptions, but I'm just speaking about what I've seen locally. 

11 hours ago, darkstar said:

Since I sourced one of them, I can vouch that it is truly an Original Owner collection. The grades were not high, mainly G/VG. They were stored in one of those 40 gallon rubbermaid containers for over a decade, no bags or boards. I sold the collection to @1Cool who has a sales thread up.