• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman : The Cult- What's With The Poster Pricing?

13 posts in this topic

Is there something we don't know about the value of these, or is it just a bunch of hot air?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-1988-Batman-The-Cult-36x21-Dark-Knight-detective-poster-1-Wrightson-art/361646553654?hash=item5433d07a36:rk:1:pf:0

I mean, the most famous thing about B:TC mini was that issue #4's page sequence got messed up during the bindery process.

Or could this be a case of the by-product becoming more popular than the "buy-product"?

Like EDDIE AND THE CRUISERS in which the movie was so-so but two songs from it managed to become popular?

I started collecting comics after the release of Batman: The Dark Knight, but before The Cult. I remember at the time thinking that another Batman book published in this prestigious format was certain to be the next book to skyrocket in value. It wasn't, of course (I was an insufficiently_thoughtful_person teenager who didn't know a ton about collecting then), but I imagine there are many people still collecting now that may have been at a similar age at the time, and perhaps thought the same. That in itself might lend a little bit of notoriety to the book; the idea that it would eventually be valuable.

11 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I started collecting comics after the release of Batman: The Dark Knight, but before The Cult. I remember at the time thinking that another Batman book published in this prestigious format was certain to be the next book to skyrocket in value. It wasn't, of course (I was an insufficiently_thoughtful_person teenager who didn't know a ton about collecting then), but I imagine there are many people still collecting now that may have been at a similar age at the time, and perhaps thought the same. That in itself might lend a little bit of notoriety to the book; the idea that it would eventually be valuable.

You weren't the only one. Actually before the Cult hit there was also The Killing Joke which was an overnight success, although prices weren't as high as TDKR it was still up there.. The Cult was definitely highly speculated. Too bad they massively overprinted lol

2 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

You weren't the only one. Actually before the Cult hit there was also The Killing Joke which was an overnight success, although prices weren't as high as TDKR it was still up there.. The Cult was definitely highly speculated. Too bad they massively overprinted lol

Yeah, Prestige Format used to mean just that: prestige. If a book was coming out in PF, it was special. Now I have boxes full of Batman PF's that I picked up for 50 cents. The good thing about PF's, though, is they are usually in nice shape!

3 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Yeah, Prestige Format used to mean just that: prestige. If a book was coming out in PF, it was special. Now I have boxes full of Batman PF's that I picked up for 50 cents. The good thing about PF's, though, is they are usually in nice shape!

And some of them do eventually rise in value. I sold a few Gotham by Gaslight this year.

Now just need Longbow Hunters to take off.

Ha, that's funny, I'm also sitting on a cache of both Long Bow Hunters AND Hawkworld. However, I also really dig those books, so I don't mind.

If Cosmic Odyssey ever hits, my ship will truly have come in.

On 12/10/2018 at 10:29 PM, skyy38 said:

Or could this be a case of the by-product becoming more popular than the "buy-product"?

That's a nice phrase.  I think this situation occurs quite a bit, and the by-product can even become more valuable than the buy-product.  Malibu Sun #13 is a good example.  It's not the first appearance of Spawn. It's an advertisement for the first appearance of Spawn, but there aren't nearly as many of them... so the advertisement by-product greatly exceeds the value of the real thing buy-product. 

6 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Ha, that's funny, I'm also sitting on a cache of both Long Bow Hunters AND Hawkworld. However, I also really dig those books, so I don't mind.

If Cosmic Odyssey ever hits, my ship will truly have come in.

If Warner Brothers is smart, they'll build towards a Cosmic Odyssey movie the way Marvel did Infinity Gauntlet. Put all the players on the table first and then have a big crossover. 

23 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

If Warner Brothers is smart, they'll build towards a Cosmic Odyssey movie the way Marvel did Infinity Gauntlet. Put all the players on the table first and then have a big crossover. 

From your mouth to the movie gods ears. I'll be sitting on my stockpile until that day comes!