• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newsstand Edition Distribution in the early '90s

4 posts in this topic

What are the chances that some Newsstand Editions would have been distributed to comic stores in the early '90s? I ask because I'm going through a bunch of my comics now to list on eBay, and I'm finding that there are a few issues in runs that I have multiple issues of (like, I have 3 copies of every issue) that are newsstands. That is, I have 3 direct editions of a number of issues, but one book in the middle of the run I have only newsstands of. I did hit some 7-11s and stationery stores when I started collecting in 1987 and over the next couple of years, but by 1991 I was pretty much only buying books from comic stores. If I happened upon another non-comic store venue that sold comics, I might buy them, but then, I should have direct edtions *in addition* to the newsstand versions, but I don't. They're pretty much random issues (Hulk 397, Marvel Comics Presents 97, Spirits of Vengeance 9, etc.) so it's not like they would have sold out at comic stores. I know there are some books in this period (Moon Knight, Doctor Starnge) that had barcodes on the Direct versions as well as the newsstands, but these books I'm finding seem to have versions without barcodes. Could it be that some stores had orders filled with Newsstand versions by accident? Or deliberately, if direct versions weren't printed in sufficient quantity?

I saw this discussed recently around here, I don't remember which thread. I think the general consensus was that comic shops would not have newsstand editions via Diamond. Collecting in the 80's, my LCS would always have 100% direct for their new releases, but their back issue boxes  were always a mix (so, collecting runs, I would end up with both). I don't know where their old stock came from, but I suspected they may have bought leftover newsstand from a seller somewhere.

17 hours ago, HarrisonJohn said:

I saw this discussed recently around here, I don't remember which thread. I think the general consensus was that comic shops would not have newsstand editions via Diamond. Collecting in the 80's, my LCS would always have 100% direct for their new releases, but their back issue boxes  were always a mix (so, collecting runs, I would end up with both). I don't know where their old stock came from, but I suspected they may have bought leftover newsstand from a seller somewhere.

Absolutely there would be newsstand editions ending up in the back stock of comic shops, probably through the purchase of collections. But these are books which were purchased new.

On 12/15/2018 at 3:39 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Absolutely there would be newsstand editions ending up in the back stock of comic shops, probably through the purchase of collections. But these are books which were purchased new.

Diamond, Capital City, Friendly Frank's... possibly others?  There were more distributors at that time, so it's possible that a store that didn't use Diamond would have done things differently.