• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'BRIGHTBURN' : Evil Superman movie?
1 1

30 posts in this topic

So...this is basically Looper but without the sophistication or time travel framing?

Not impressed.

(Seriously, though...Looper was so good it took this premise & relegated it to maybe the last 20 minutes of the film -- as a piece of the larger frame and the mcguffin that enables the characters' final redemption -- but it was almost a subplot.)

5 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

So...this is basically Looper but without the sophistication or time travel framing?

Not impressed.

(Seriously, though...Looper was so good it took this premise & relegated it to maybe the last 20 minutes of the film -- as a piece of the larger frame and the mcguffin that enables the characters' final redemption -- but it was almost a subplot.)

Looper is underrated

Irredeemable, as well.

That is, Mark Waid's evil Superman series.

Edited by Ken Aldred

As someone who has a deep admiration for superhero stories of all types, Brightburn was, as the kids say these days, “100 percent my jam.” It hits all the necessary beats one would expect from an origin story, but once it heads into full-blown horror territory, that’s when Brightburn transforms into a truly creepy and unsettling exploration of just what would happen if an otherworldly entity that had endless powers wasn’t bound to our society by any kind of morality code, and decided to use that to fulfill their darkest impulses.

When Brightburn leans into its genre elements, that’s when the film really begins to find its footing story-wise, and there’s a confidence to the way director David Yarovesky builds tension in several of Brightburn’s key moments of terror, which I very much enjoyed. I know the “eye scene” had been released into the public in the last few weeks, which is truly a visceral moment in itself, but there’s another set piece in Brightburn that takes things to even more horror-fueled heights, so much so that I (as well as several other people around me) exclaimed loudly, “Holy mess,” as soon as Yarovesky hits the reveal after one of Brandon’s attacks. Honestly, it’s probably the most cringeworthy moment I’ve seen in a studio film since the release of the Evil Dead reboot in 2013. It’s just wickedly nasty fun (and I absolutely loved it).

In this day and age where we are already inundated with tons of superhero-centric entertainment, I’m not quite sure just how many folks out there are willing to embrace a shockingly savage tween antihero who mutilates victims and obliterates others into a pulpy, gooey mess. But for me, I very much enjoyed the way that Yarovesky and co-writers Brian Gunn and Mark Gunn play around with all these different tropes in Brightburn, taking them into some very twisted and dark places, and I’d love to see more from this world in the future.

Movie Score: 4/5