• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'BRIGHTBURN' : Evil Superman movie?
1 1

30 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

Ouch!

$7.5 million domestic / $15 million worldwide opening weekend isn't actually that bad considering its reported $6 million budget.

Consider that Will Smith's Bright had a $90 million budget and was a direct-to-Netflix release.

That said, I stand by my earlier assessment -- that this looks like a dumbed-down version of what Looper did as part of just its third act sub-plot.

6 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

$7.5 million domestic / $15 million worldwide opening weekend isn't actually that bad considering its reported $6 million budget.

Consider that Will Smith's Bright had a $90 million budget and was a direct-to-Netflix release.

That said, I stand by my earlier assessment -- that this looks like a dumbed-down version of what Looper did as part of just its third act sub-plot.

I agree with the lower budget this has room to breath. But with the assumed premise and this involving James Gunn, you would think a bigger reaction. but it sounds like the marketing budget may have been extremely low as well, impacting awareness.

Weekend Box Office: James Gunn's 'Brightburn' And Olivia Wilde's 'Booksmart' Both Open Below $10 Million

Sony and Screen Gems released Brightburn over the holiday weekend to middling results. The James Gunn-produced and David Yarovesky-directed chiller, which turns the Superman origin story into a gruesome R-rated horror movie, earned mixed-positive reviews but didn’t get much in the way of buzz heading into the weekend. As such, a $7.535 million Fri-Sun/$9 million Fri-Mon debut isn’t a surprise. The $7 million-budgeted Elizabeth Banks vehicle had the bad luck of ramping up its marketing just as Disney fired Gunn from Guardians 3 over some unearthed tweets. Disney hired him back, but Sony delayed Brightburn from Thanksgiving 2018 to Memorial Day 2019.

That wasn’t fatal, as it’s not like a cheapie like this needed a saturation campaign. After the first teaser played well enough online, the overall marketing frankly got kind of quiet. Sony may have just spent the bare minimum needed to get a $7 million-budgeted movie into the black (it’ll probably tap out at $18 million domestic). Come what may, this wasn’t the summer counter-programming event it was presumed to be after that first teaser. Still, the Mark and Brian Gunn-penned movie is a fascinating little deconstruction, examining toxic masculinity through a superhero origin while ironically taking the Superman myths closer to their roots as a Moses parable.

It is good movie, looks like an experiment,  a test to see where the story can go.

If handled well, it's a potential franchise. I love the concept ad I'd love to see Brandon gorwing up and becoming the evil superman he is ment to be. How mankind would handle something like this?

If I was advising the director I would say hey have him do a couple good things too.  That way he is a more complex realistic character.  The mwah ha ha bad guy is pretty stale.