• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best early Bronze Age supernatural/demonic/horror stories and/or story arcs in Marvel continuity/universe
1 1

56 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, pickycollector said:

Master of Kung-Fu, Tomb of Dracula, Amazing Adventures (Killraven) and surprisingly, Howard the Duck are among some of the best BA runs to read

@pickycollector: Thanks Patric, I have read most of Killraven at the time.
Actually I would absolutely love if boardies can point me to the horror/supernatural related stories, or story arcs (especially with satanic/demonic themes) which struck them most and that would consider the most beautiful, insightful, striking  whatever. Any single suggestion is much appreciated! :)

32 minutes ago, pickycollector said:

Master of Kung-Fu, Tomb of Dracula, Amazing Adventures (Killraven) and surprisingly, Howard the Duck are among some of the best BA runs to read

@pickycollector: BTW, in Killraven the "horror" is definitely present, albeit not in a "conventional" supernatural manner. The future imagined is terrifying, they struck me immensely as a kid.
Even if not directly related to Daimon Hellstrom and/or satanic themes, this is definitely the kind of suggestion I was looking for: stories from more superheroic titles, from minor characters, maybe buried in annuals or in antologic magazines… that kind. Many thanks again!

For horror titles, apart of Tomb of Dracula which I think is the best BA horror storyline, Tales of the Zombie (magazine) #1-10 feature also great horrific stories and terrific art by Pablo Marcos.

Also, Epic Illustrated which is a very under-rated magazine feature some great horror/science-fiction stories, some great art by very well known artists and lot of female nudity. Also featuring with #26 the Last Galactus story. Very underpriced magazine

@pickycollector: Thanks! Do you have specific issues of Dracula to advise? I’d be interested in the satanists sub-plot and I’ve read there is a story where he meets Satan, but unable to pinpoint all of them.
Are there in Epic (aside from the Galactus stories) other stories which fall in Marvel continuity that could qualify as per my requests?

@jools&jim: Thanks, but as I explained in the first post, I am looking for suggestions of stories in Marvel age continuity. :)

2 minutes ago, vaillant said:

@pickycollector: Thanks! Do you have specific issues of Dracula to advise? I’d be interested in the satanists sub-plot and I’ve read there is a story where he meets Satan, but unable to pinpoint all of them.

I would recommend the whole run but if looking for the plot with Satan then it starts from #46 until the end to #70. The best Dracula storyline indeed.

And no, my personal run is not for sale (you could not afford the shipping cost anyway) :devil:

44 minutes ago, pickycollector said:

I would recommend the whole run but if looking for the plot with Satan then it starts from #46 until the end to #70. The best Dracula storyline indeed.

And no, my personal run is not for sale (you could not afford the shipping cost anyway) :devil:

Canadian shipping costs are absurd! Thanks for the details.

1 hour ago, vaillant said:

@pickycollector: BTW, all of them? I mean, in all issues starting from #46 there is the satanic sub-plot?

Pretty much most of them, maybe add #45 just to be sure. Issue #46 features Dracula's wife, then #52 features a battle vs an angel who will reincarnate into Dracula's son body later, culminating into a saga that will feature something like God vs Satan vs Dracula.

If you like Son of Satan stories, Tomb of Dracula should be first in your BA WTB list.

2 hours ago, pickycollector said:

Pretty much most of them, maybe add #45 just to be sure. Issue #46 features Dracula's wife, then #52 features a battle vs an angel who will reincarnate into Dracula's son body later, culminating into a saga that will feature something like God vs Satan vs Dracula.

If you like Son of Satan stories, Tomb of Dracula should be first in your BA WTB list.

@pickycollector: Thank you, I somewhat guessed that but I would have not imagined so many issues were treaded with the satanic themes.
But I believe it somewhat culminated around issues #60-61 – you say it continues up to the end of the series?
Also, the X-Men Annual… there is that issue related to Dracula (much later I know, but I seem to get it’s important).

1 hour ago, Chaykin Stevens said:

Giant-Size Werewolf #2 by Doug Moench and Don Perlin featured another character derived from Anton LaVey, Danton Vayla, who was the leader of the Brotherhood of Baal.

@Chaykin Stevens: Thanks! I know the character was Lupeski. I asked specifically about LaVey because, as I explained, @lizards2 told me that once they published a letter in the letter section from LaVey himself, and I wish to locate that issue first. :)

You might want to consider changing the title of the thread. To me at least, "Marvel age" (i.e., "The Marvel Age of Comics") means all comic books published by Marvel after, and including, Fantastic Four #1.

"Best early Bronze Age supernatural/horror stories and/or story arcs in Marvel Universe continuity" might yield better results...

(thumbsu

Marvel Graphic Novels did some decent horror stuff.  Greenberg the Vampire, Marada the She Wolf, Dracula, Conan the Witch Queen, Amazing Spiderman Hooky (Wrightson), 

2 hours ago, electricprune said:

but the Montessi formula story line in Dr. Strange (with Dracula) is really good. I believe Montessi was spelled with one S and two in the storyline, oddly enough.

Yup.  That would be from the great Roger Stern run, with an interesting outcome for one particular TOD character.