• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best early Bronze Age supernatural/demonic/horror stories and/or story arcs in Marvel continuity/universe
1 1

56 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, electricprune said:

The Tomb of Dracula 44, Dr. Strange 14 crossover story is really good. It's a bit late, but the Montessi formula story line in Dr. Strange (with Dracula) is really good. I believe Montessi was spelled with one S and two in the storyline, oddly enough.

11 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Yup.  That would be from the great Roger Stern run, with an interesting outcome for one particular TOD character. 

yes, and yes! Definitely what I am looking for… sorry for the lack of clarity: by speaking of "Marvel age" here in Italy we specifically mean the continuity, otherwise they are just comics published by Marvel (i.e. Epic, the various not-in-continuity books et al.). @jools&jim: Thanks much for the suggestion, will do.

4 hours ago, Jeffro. said:

Marvel Team Up 41-44. 

A rollicking good paranormal and supernatural time set against the backdrop of 17th century Salem Mass and the Salem Witch Trials. 

4 hours ago, jools&jim said:

Has anyone mentioned the tarot story in Marvel Team-Up 76?  Great art by Byrne and Austin, too!

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Marvel_Team-Up_Vol_1_76

@Jeffro. @jools&jim: Thanks much to both! I might have read these as a kid but maybe not – will check them!

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 9:15 AM, vaillant said:

Thanks. But still… not in Marvel continuity, right? :)

It is not part of an ongoing series but it is a marvel, non-reprint story - no one stopping Disney from turning it into a marvel team up with Jack Sparrow...but heck, I didn;t really understadn the distinction until this thread

Edited by mtlevy1

Here's another fun one. Amazing Spider-Man Annual 14. Spidey and Dr Strange go up against Dr Doom, the Dread Pirate Roberts Dormammu and Lucius Dilby (who?) to try to prevent the Bend Sinister (the what??) from happening. Pretty weird but cool story illustrated by Frank Miller when he could still draw.

Edited by Jeffro.

11 hours ago, mtlevy1 said:
On 12/17/2018 at 12:15 PM, vaillant said:

Thanks. But still… not in Marvel continuity, right? :)

It is not part of an ongoing series but it is a marvel, non-reprint story - no one stopping Disney from turning it into a marvel team up with Jack Sparrow...but heck, I didn;t really understadn the distinction until this thread

Well that, and how is anyone supposed to determine if a particular story is, or is not part of the continuity?  

31 minutes ago, Jeffro. said:

Well that, and how is anyone supposed to determine if a particular story is, or is not part of the continuity?  

Well… clearly, when Marvel started launching new titles, since the 1960s it was always pretty much "crystal clear" whether they were part of the continuity, or "Marvel age".
When it wasn’t evident, as in the case of the Eternals, it was very likely decided afterwards (with the Thor storyline) to incorporate the concept within the Marvel age "scope of things".
"Borderline" titles of the 1970s, like Conan, Kull or the 1960s-1970s westerns were somewhat "forced into" the continuity by single cross-overs or time-travel events, but – for example – in the case of Dracula, it was almost immediately determined that it was in continuity and that specific interpretation of the character was intended to accomplish that purpose.
Titles of the Copper age (not of my interest anyway for this research) inspired by toys or things bonded by some copyright or merchandise logic (Micronauts, ROM, Crystar) were pushed into continuity but clearly could not last as they had to become subdued to market logics that created a somewhat "unsolvable" binding.

On 12/12/2018 at 12:09 AM, fett said:

Haunt of Horror and Monsters Unleashed have Gabriel, Devil-Hunter and Satana. :)

HauntOfHorror005.jpg

Was reading The Haunt of Horror #5 the other day and it had a classic Gabriel story about a possessed child. The possessed baby was black and there were multiple pages of him spewing some pretty racial stuff. Let's just say that I wouldn't expect this book to be reprinted anytime in the future without some editing. Cool Satana cover (by Giordano) and story also.

9 hours ago, boomtown said:

Was reading The Haunt of Horror #5 the other day and it had a classic Gabriel story about a possessed child. The possessed baby was black and there were multiple pages of him spewing some pretty racial stuff. Let's just say that I wouldn't expect this book to be reprinted anytime in the future without some editing. Cool Satana cover (by Giordano) and story also.

I have yet to read it but I have it. Thanks much! (thumbsu
I have read the first Gabriel origin story (in #1? I don’t recall) and I admit I found it somewhat "artless". Fascinating anyways.
I should be missing just one Satana issue of HoH, when hopefully I will embark in the reading I’ll read them all in order. :)

17 hours ago, Brother J said:

Defenders story arc "The Six-Fingered Hand" (Defenders #94-100) is a favorite of mine. Don Perlin created some very grotesque images in those books, especially the "Hell on Earth" stuff.

Thanks and of course I have these (just completing my Defenders run), being Hellstrom at the center-stage (and the sub-plot created by DeMatteis around Patsy Walker is surprising).
I am waiting to read it after I will have re-read all the Son of Satan stories and those of his sister (which I have mostly never read before). :)

17 hours ago, Brother J said:

Defenders story arc "The Six-Fingered Hand" (Defenders #94-100) is a favorite of mine. Don Perlin created some very grotesque images in those books, especially the "Hell on Earth" stuff.

BTW, I loved how Perlin (which often was very goofy and amateurish in his anatomy) managed to create striking splash pages and weird compositions regardless.
Overall, the fact that I can’t fully like him is due to the expressions of the characters, which often weren’t much carefully drawn. Jim Mooney, often considered a "second rate" artist was a master of this (see his and Gerber's Omega the Unknown). :cloud9:

The absolute best written and beautifully drawn Satana story of the era was Marvel Preview #7, bar none.  The sexy cover drew you in, but it was the internals that blew you away.  Unfortunately, this book is out of reach for most collectors these days.  

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Fnk-6cy3Qn4

Edited by Brian48