• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your Top 3 Personal Comic Book/Original Art Acquisitions of 2018!
5 5

213 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Here are my three favourites this year :)

The first one is chosen for it's cover, which I love, but also because it represents my current task to try and gather every single Charlton pence variant available to humanity. Cynthia Doyle, Nurse in Love #66:

687391837_CynthiaDoyleNurseinLove66(Vol.2)October1962(9d).thumb.jpg.244611b260bd9a6293c78835fd93ed61.jpg

The second one is a book that's been on my watch list for 800 years - the Miller indicia Rawhide Kid #22 variant. I managed to train a few Jedi while I waited for him to appear:

750201870_2210cLM-CSticker.thumb.jpg.9e8d2af8ba016c8f8a1dea8809d26a5c.jpg

The last one is Marvel Super Heroes #104, pence copy. This book turned up as a pence copy despite 800 years of research indicating that it wouldn't. But it did. And I liked it :)

104.thumb.jpg.d14eea6218a28b970f200d55983a0d8c.jpg

Hey Obi-wan, can you PM me that MIller indicia list please? I have a honey hole with a ton of these westerns that I plan on visiting Monday afternoon!

17 minutes ago, Bird said:

Hey Obi-wan, can you PM me that MIller indicia list please? I have a honey hole with a ton of these westerns that I plan on visiting Monday afternoon!

These are not the comics you are looking for.....

Spoiler

PM incoming :)

2 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

We got some big ballers on this board

I guess maybe the OA for IH 180 page 32 was just simply... unavailable for him? (shrug)

Seriously where would you even keep that stuff? I haven't been on these boards too long so I wonder if anyone ever posted anything of higher value?

On 12/11/2018 at 9:46 PM, LordRahl said:

Hopefully I'm not done yet as CC auction isn't ending until Friday but these are my 3 favorite so far. 

avengers4_cgc96_92004.jpg

Congrats!! All three books are Silver age royalty! Good luck with more of the same in 2019.  (thumbsu

On 12/12/2018 at 6:16 PM, dinesh_s said:

RAD613222017920_10424.jpg

Dinesh, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess your collecting budget is bigger than mine...  :foryou:

But your goodies remind me of something I think is great about this hobby: there is something for everyone, at every level. I enjoy seeing your grails, and I enjoy seeing someone's oddball Charlton romance that they just treasure. 

Congrats on some lofty acquisitions.  (thumbsu

1 hour ago, MGsimba77 said:

Seriously where would you even keep that stuff? I haven't been on these boards too long so I wonder if anyone ever posted anything of higher value?

Yes, by far.

Captain America Comics 1 CGC 9.4

AF15 CGC 9.4 ( although scan I don't think was posted public only private )

OA Action Comics 15

Mid-grade Action Comics 1 and Detective Comics 27

are just a few examples ...

Edited by Gotham Kid

4 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

The Allentown is a 9.8, right? Do you know the provenance of the 9.4 you mentioned? 

Correct (owned by the late John Verzyl) but scan never actually posted on the boards, at least not publicly. The 9.4 is owned by boardie sartre, along with many other fine books. Been a long time I haven't seen him post in Gold.

Edited by Gotham Kid

11 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Correct (owned by the late John Verzyl) but scan never actually posted on the boards, at least not publicly. The 9.4 is owned by boardie sartre, along with many other fine books. Been a long time I haven't seen him post in Gold.

Thank you. Yes, sartre was still posting when I joined, but as you say, I have not seen him of late. 

A 9.4 Cap...  :cloud9:  :cloud9:   :cloud9:

Edited by PopKulture

9 hours ago, PopKulture said:

Thank you. Yes, satre was still posting when I joined, but as you say, I have not seen him of late. 

A 9.4 Cap...  :cloud9:  :cloud9:   :cloud9:

Sartre and I are friends. He told me he hasn't posted almost anything since the boards switched over. He's not a fan of the new layout, so he isn't on really anymore.

It's a safe bet to say he's got the 2nd best Timely collection in the world.

Edited by Timely

6 minutes ago, Timely said:

Sartre and I are friends. He told me he hasn't posted almost anything since the boards switched over. He's not a fan of the new layout, so he isn't on really anymore.

It's a safe bet to say he's got the 2nd best Timely collection in the world.

Given the mind-numbing scale of the best Timely collection in the world, the second best must be stupefying in much the same way.  :cloud9:

Tell him the new layout hain't half bad and to come back and post. Haven't we all pretty much forgotten by now what we disliked whenever some new improved version is rolled out?  hm

2 hours ago, PopKulture said:

Given the mind-numbing scale of the best Timely collection in the world, the second best must be stupefying in much the same way.  :cloud9:

Tell him the new layout hain't half bad and to come back and post. Haven't we all pretty much forgotten by now what we disliked whenever some new improved version is rolled out?  hm

I still don’t like the new layout but have gotten over it to an extent. Based on the drop in posting I think plenty are holding a grudge even after time has passed. 

1 hour ago, mysterio said:

I still don’t like the new layout but have gotten over it to an extent. Based on the drop in posting I think plenty are holding a grudge even after time has passed. 

That's a shame, as we are undoubtedly the poorer without them sharing their gems and insights.  (shrug)