• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver Surfer #4
1 1

17 posts in this topic

To be frank, I have no grading skills..... I was thinking about placing a bid on this raw Silver Surfer #4 on eBay (see link below) and was hoping that someone could give me a grade on it and a maybe a max FMP bid $ value on it.  Thanks!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Silver-Surfer-4-Iconic-Thor-vs-Surfer-Cover-Beautiful-Book/273603147123

Edited by Xenosmilus

I am always hesitant to overgrade, without having the book in hand, based on the pictures, IMO this book would grade at a FN/VF 7.0.

Is there any restoration that is not disclosed???

Based on recent sold listings from eBay auctions, a raw Silver Surfer #4 (Vol 1) in this grade is selling for around $350.00 +/-.

A CGC Blue Label FN/VF 7.0 sold for $508.00.

I cannot tell you what to bid, what you bid is totally up to you and how badly you want this book.

Just remember, price will be dictated by how badly you and the other bidders want this book.

when it comes to Ebay raw books with their terrible picture system for comics I think it is best to be more conservative on grading/ bidding.

I wouldn't put this book any higher than a 5.0 as it appears to have stains, and what could be color loss on the spine ( or is that just glare? ..I don't know I can't really tell ) and small tears and quite a few spine creases.

4 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

when it comes to Ebay raw books with their terrible picture system for comics I think it is best to be more conservative on grading/ bidding.

I agree. On the flip side, I prefer listing mid to low grade raw books on eBay, basically 7.0 and under, unless the books are modern in bulk. I’m not super confident of my grading at the very high end. Plus if they’re valuable, I’ll just slab them to remove all doubt.

While I appreciate what this seller has for inventory, bear in mind that some of the other books he has for sale are listed as "beautiful high grade" copies. Unfortunately, his idea of high grade may be quite different from CGC's idea of high grade. 

The SS #4 appears to be more in the mid grade range. This is not to say it's not desirable---it still appears to be a nice solid copy with excellent page quality. I'd just keep your bid in alignment with a price more in the Fine range than a VF...and watch out for spine splits on those Surfer squarebounds...  (thumbsu

19 hours ago, Xenosmilus said:

To be frank, I have no grading skills..... I was thinking about placing a bid on this raw Silver Surfer #4 on eBay (see link below) and was hoping that someone could give me a grade on it and a maybe a max FMP bid $ value on it.  Thanks!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Silver-Surfer-4-Iconic-Thor-vs-Surfer-Cover-Beautiful-Book/273603147123

The grade appears to be in the VF+ range. There is not guarantee though even with my over 4 decades of grading experience as I can only base my estimate of grade based on the pictures shown, not what is NOT shown!  Get an estimate of value from eBay completed/sold listings and the internet websites such as ComicsPriceGuide.com, GoCollect.com etc.  There is always a element of gambling in this stuff and as this seller does NOT accept returns....best of luck.

45 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

While I appreciate what this seller has for inventory, bear in mind that some of the other books he has for sale are listed as "beautiful high grade" copies. Unfortunately, his idea of high grade may be quite different from CGC's idea of high grade. 

The SS #4 appears to be more in the mid grade range. This is not to say it's not desirable---it still appears to be a nice solid copy with excellent page quality. I'd just keep your bid in alignment with a price more in the Fine range than a VF...and watch out for spine splits on those Surfer squarebounds...  (thumbsu

Yeah, I just wanted a lower grade copy of SS#4 with a nice cover without spending too much money... I thought that, that copy might be that copy. Was hoping to spend maybe 200-250ish?

22 hours ago, Xenosmilus said:

Yeah, I just wanted a lower grade copy of SS#4 with a nice cover without spending too much money... I thought that, that copy might be that copy. Was hoping to spend maybe 200-250ish?

I wish you the best of luck, and happy holidays!   :wishluck:

On ‎2018‎/‎12‎/‎12 at 3:36 PM, amazingsiderman said:

The grade appears to be in the VF+ range. There is not guarantee though even with my over 4 decades of grading experience as I can only base my estimate of grade based on the pictures shown, not what is NOT shown!  Get an estimate of value from eBay completed/sold listings and the internet websites such as ComicsPriceGuide.com, GoCollect.com etc.  There is always a element of gambling in this stuff and as this seller does NOT accept returns....best of luck.

VF+? Are you the seller? :facepalm:

On 12/13/2018 at 9:51 PM, Xenosmilus said:

I just pulled the trigger on a SS#4 from the Dale Roberts sale! I hope I got a good deal lol. I have no idea doh!, I got trigger happy and they were going so fast! :wishluck:

silversurfer4.thumb.jpg.5f0996d6eeccc5143242dacd95d13897.jpg

He posted it at $225, and called it a VG.

I dont see a lot wrong with it.  I think he went conservative to avoid any disputes, and dinged it because of what looks like a small bottom spine split.  That's a very common defect with this book, and yours looks split away from the covers, which is favorable.  As a young man, I had a copy where the front cover bore the split, and opening the cover made the split worse.

You did good, you'll enjoy owning it.

On 12/13/2018 at 6:51 PM, Xenosmilus said:

I just pulled the trigger on a SS#4 from the Dale Roberts sale! I hope I got a good deal lol. I have no idea doh!, I got trigger happy and they were going so fast! :wishluck:

silversurfer4.thumb.jpg.5f0996d6eeccc5143242dacd95d13897.jpg

And buying from Dale, you'll know what you are getting, unlike an unknown seller on E-Bay.

44 minutes ago, aszumilo said:

And buying from Dale, you'll know what you are getting, unlike an unknown seller on E-Bay.

I’m new to this but noticed most books were getting bought right away so I figured they must be good prices since a lot of regulars seemed to be jumping on them.

8 hours ago, Xenosmilus said:

I’m new to this but noticed most books were getting bought right away so I figured they must be good prices since a lot of regulars seemed to be jumping on them.

My favorite silver age cover.  No risk to you buying from Dale.  If you aren't happy with a raw book, he accepts returns.  Great looking copy though.  I'm sure you will love it.  Congrats!