• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crisis on Infinite Earths comes to the CW!!!!
1 1

162 posts in this topic

I'm not a DC fan and I have not read Crisis on Infinite Earths but I do recognize some of the iconic covers, but I must say that DC does better TV than Marvel especially since their properties haven't been scattered to the winds.  I remember seeing the first couple of episodes of Supergirl and they would allude to Superman but never mention his name which really bummed me out.  I'm enjoying the cross-overs and the overall premise to Crisis and I'm digging the cameos and Easter eggs.

The actor, with his uncanny resemblance to the original movie Man of Steel, Christopher Reeve, starred in “Superman Returns” back in 2006. The film got respectable reviews and made $391 million at the global box office.

But this was pre-Marvel Studios mania and all that it spawned. There were no streaming superheroes. No Infinity Stones to be collected (yet). And no calls for a sequel or for Routh to punch Batman in the face.

It was a one-time gig — until this year, when Routh was invited to suit up as the Last Son of Krypton one more time. He’ll star in “Crisis on Infinite Earths,” a five-part crossover event that began airing Sunday, spanning several CW superhero shows and in which his Superman will join in Monday’s “Batwoman.”

Routh had already been starring in the network’s “DC’s Legends of Tomorrow” since 2016 as Ray Palmer/Atom (think Ant-Man with no ants). But he had been told this upcoming season of “Legends” (which begins on Jan. 21) would be his last. His wife, Courtney Ford, who also starred on “Legends,” would also be leaving. A stressful moment turned unexpectedly happy when he got the call from producer Marc Guggenheim to suit up.

“I was very touched,” Routh told The Washington Post. “Ultimately, I decided that I wanted to have another opportunity to be Superman and also it would help soften the blow of the ‘Legends’ aspect of it and help the exit feel [gentler] and end on a high note.”

Routh caused a geek viral moment in September when he posted online an official photo of him in his Superman suit. His hair was graying, and the red S was accented with black, as opposed to the classic yellow. Routh was officially the “Kingdom Come” Superman, an older Superman from the future who was not nearly as forgiving of humanity. The story line is based on one of DC’s most popular ’90s tales, from writer Mark Waid and artist Alex Ross.