• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Movie Hype is a PITA...list the books that are dropping fast
2 2

80 posts in this topic

Q:  How can you tell what books are going to explode from movie hype?

A:  Whatever I sell when I want to buy something different.

We've probably all experienced this.  Heck, I had a couple of books that I considered a "buying mistake" because when I did try to sell them to fund another acquisition, I was surprised how little demand there was for the book.  I sold them for a cheap price.  And then they got hot.  Did I repurchase those books?  No, because I know that the only thing supporting those books is Movie Hype, and when that's gone, look out below.

On the other side of the curve are the people trying to sell books that did jump from movie hype and they are losing their luster.  Pity the bagholders.

It reminds me of the movie War Games, where the computer concludes that the best strategy is no to play.

I'm not saying you can't benefit from movie hype.  I guess this is a rant about how I'm growing sick of it.  There are books I want that are current hot right now, so I need to wait until the hype fades.  And it will.  It always has.  Does anyone remember how hard it was for dealers to sell early ASMs after the first movie's hype faded?

So I'll just resign myself to picking up books that aren't benefitting from movie hype.  But that list is getting smaller and smaller.  It's irritating.

OK, so enough of my rambling, rant.  So that this thread can be productive, we've all seen the "books that are getting hot right now" threads.   Right?

Anyone care to list some books that are cooling off?  Books that are experiencing fading luster?  That kind of information needs to get out there to combat this ridiculous movie hype cycle.

Edited by Westy Steve

its not movie hype but tv show hype. the value of the walking dead books is falling. as the show now dies out and fades away the books will drop even further. i think there is a ton of people that got caught up in that hype that will wish they had invested in another book. 

19 minutes ago, Westy Steve said:

Q:  How can you tell what books are going to explode from movie hype?

A:  Whatever I sell when I want to buy something different.

We've probably all experienced this.  Heck, I had a couple of books that I considered a "buying mistake" because when I did try to sell them to fund another acquisition, I was surprised how little demand there was for the book.  I sold them for a cheap price.  And then they got hot.  Did I repurchase those books?  No, because I know that the only thing supporting those books is Movie Hype, and when that's gone, look out below.

On the other side of the curve are the people trying to sell books that did jump from movie hype and they are losing their luster.  Pity the bagholders.

It reminds me of the movie War Games, where the computer concludes that the best strategy is no to play.

I'm not saying you can't benefit from movie hype.  I guess this is a rant about how I'm growing sick of it.  There are books I want that are current hot right now, so I need to wait until the hype fades.  And it will.  It always has.  Does anyone remember how hard it was for dealers to sell early ASMs after the first movie's hype faded?

So I'll just resign myself to picking up books that aren't benefitting from movie hype.  But that list is getting smaller and smaller.  It's irritating.

OK, so enough of my rambling, rant.  So that this thread can be productive, we've all seen the "books that are getting hot right now" threads.   Right?

Anyone care to list some books that are cooling off?  Books that are experiencing fading luster?  That kind of information needs to get out there to combat this ridiculous movie hype cycle.

I agree with this. I have never understood the movie hype as most of the characters have been around for decades in other media too. Maybe some of the older dealers can tell us if JIM Thor got a bump in price when he appeared  in The Incredible Hulk TV movie😁? It's mostly musical chairs with speculators and then dealers gobbling up copies to sell off at higher price to those speculators. Shang chi was just announced as being in development. I have a 7.5 copy I purchased (1st App) 2 weeks ago for 60 bucks. The announcement was last week. The book is 5x that price now in similar grade. Nobody gave two $#;+s about that character until last week. It's both hilarious and sad all at the same time.

5 minutes ago, Krydel4 said:

I agree with this. I have never understood the movie hype as most of the characters have been around for decades in other media too. Maybe some of the older dealers can tell us if JIM Thor got a bump in price when he appeared  in The Incredible Hulk TV movie😁? It's mostly musical chairs with speculators and then dealers gobbling up copies to sell off at higher price to those speculators. Shang chi was just announced as being in development. I have a 7.5 copy I purchased (1st App) 2 weeks ago for 60 bucks. The announcement was last week. The book is 5x that price now in similar grade. Nobody gave two $#;+s about that character until last week. It's both hilarious and sad all at the same time.

I can't talk about the 70s or 80s market but I doubt books saw significant jumps when people showed up or had a show.  The closest I can compare the current market to is the Wizard hot book craze in the early 90s.  Wizard would post a unknown book in the hot list and it instantly became the hot book and had everyone running to the long boxes.  Very little reason for the demand other then Wizard saying it was hot. 

37 minutes ago, 1Cool said:
46 minutes ago, Krydel4 said:

I can't talk about the 70s or 80s market but I doubt books saw significant jumps when people showed up or had a show.  The closest I can compare the current market to is the Wizard hot book craze in the early 90s.  Wizard would post a unknown book in the hot list and it instantly became the hot book and had everyone running to the long boxes.  Very little reason for the demand other then Wizard saying it was hot. 

Everything Batman was very hot when the first movie came out in 1989. Character, such as Deathlok, got a boost when they got their own title. Hype has been around for a long time. It's just that this movie hype is hype on steroids.

Edited by Jeffro.

1 hour ago, Westy Steve said:

Flipping movie hype books is all about timing.  if you have them before the spike, you're in a good position to benefit from the increase.  If you're like the other lemmings who buy it after you're told you need it, I hope the lesson sinks in.

What was the last hype book, Ghost from Ant-Man?  Seems stable, but I wouldnt touch it.  I cant think of any others on the downwards part of their cycle.

What books do you need that are still hot?  Everything moving is recent, anything else that jumped has settled, and is holding steady at it's new normal.

Hype in the current market is being driven by a combination that is hasn't been seen before on such a wide scale.  There's movie, TV, Netflix  and other streaming services with rumors and actual announcements.  Everything (im overstating) is being optioned for TV or movie deals driving the prices of Indie books.  There's now every one and his momma making YouTube videos and Instagram posts on what the next hot book is going to be.  The newer collectors are buying into this heavily, case in point Ghost Spider #1 as a variant that jumped up wildly in price for being a 1:100 and having a decent cover (very overrated IMO) and things as silly as everytime Donnie Cates opens his mouth (God Country, Venom, Carnage).  I welcome all the extra info but sometimes it can be a bit much when there's a new hot every book that gets replaced with another hot book every 2.3 nanoseconds.  At the end of the day, collect what you want and ignore the silliness if that's what you perceive it to be.

13 minutes ago, batmiesta said:

Hulk #271 seems to be on the decline, the cheapest 9.6 I can see is $275 , that is $270 more than I would pay for it. 

...and it's trending up on 90 day and 12 month. So that price is close to current market.

People flipping books should be paying some kick backs to all the people starting all these movie rumors since the market would be pretty dull if the movie hot books disappeared tomorrow.  The instantly hot books make it a market where anybody with some knowledge that only a few people know about can grab books for $1 and flip for $20.  I'm not debating the whole process seems strange and destined for failure but from a making money stand point is genius.

Edited by 1Cool

3 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

People flipping books should be paying some kick backs to all the people starting all these movie rumors since the market would be pretty dull if the movie hot books disappeared tomorrow.  The instantly hot books make it a market where anybody with some pre hype knowledge can grab books for $1 and flip for $20.  I'm not debating the whole process seems strange and destined for failure but from a making money stand point is genius.

So you condone insider trading?

31 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

People flipping books should be paying some kick backs to all the people starting all these movie rumors since the market would be pretty dull if the movie hot books disappeared tomorrow.  The instantly hot books make it a market where anybody with some pre hype knowledge can grab books for $1 and flip for $20.  I'm not debating the whole process seems strange and destined for failure but from a making money stand point is genius.

I am not sure one could measure to which degree a "making money" stand point is good. I believe we all agree on the fact that there are negative aspects to this, or more precisely negative instances which motivate to buy and sell.
Personally, I would never support a book just because it becomes "hot" due to hype, unless I just have a copy by chance to sell. But that would be it – to me books need to have *inherent* value due to their content.