• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Movie Hype is a PITA...list the books that are dropping fast
2 2

80 posts in this topic

55 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

So you condone insider trading?

I guess I should change what I said to "true" movie rumors or updates.  I do not condone manipulating the market to make money.  People who accurately and quickly report movie updates and rumors definitely are a benefit to the average flipper.  The current market makes a king out of the man who gets good info quickest.

3 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I guess I should change what I said to "true" movie rumors or updates.  I do not condone manipulating the market to make money.  People who accurately and quickly report movie updates and rumors definitely are a benefit to the average flipper.  The current market makes a king out of the man who gets good info quickest.

A king?  Seems more like extra lunch money when a $1 book goes to $10 overnight.

1 minute ago, Cliff R. said:

It always amazes me when I see books for sale on the boards that are overpriced 20% or more than the same book from other sources.  Are these sellers anticipating a price jump before it happens?

It's more likely that the seller isn't window-shopping for other copies.  They already have one they don't want. :kidaround:

1 minute ago, valiantman said:

It's more likely that the seller isn't window-shopping for other copies.  They already have one they don't want. :kidaround:

Just between you and me, I always compare prices before I buy.  And when I decide to sell some books, I'll try to price them competitively.  I know that most sellers listen to offers, but a high asking price discourages offers, I think.

14 minutes ago, valiantman said:

A king?  Seems more like extra lunch money when a $1 book goes to $10 overnight.

With the crazy number of movie / show hype comics that blow up in a given year you could fairly easily make a nice part time wage just flipping those books to the masses.  A lot of books go down so I do see why people would be pissed if they bought it high and see prices crash down (ie like the 5 copies of ASM 263 that I paid $5 - $8 for and didn't sell quick enough and will be lucky to regroup my money)

3 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

With the crazy number of movie / show hype comics that blow up in a given year you could fairly easily make a nice part time wage just flipping those books to the masses.  A lot of books go down so I do see why people would be pissed if they bought it high and see prices crash down (ie like the 5 copies of ASM 263 that I paid $5 - $8 for and didn't sell quick enough and will be lucky to regroup my money)

With postage and time spent will that even buy you a meal?  Best just buy what you like and see what happens...

Just now, Karl Liebl said:

With postage and time spent will that even buy you a meal?  Best just buy what you like and see what happens...

I wish everyone would take this sound advice.  Flipping books is just not worth it.

20 minutes ago, Cliff R. said:
27 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Just between you and me, I always compare prices before I buy.  And when I decide to sell some books, I'll try to price them competitively.  I know that most sellers listen to offers, but a high asking price discourages offers, I think.

Buyers should definitely compare prices.  Sellers don't "shop around" for what they're selling.

4 hours ago, batmiesta said:

Hulk #271 seems to be on the decline, the cheapest 9.6 I can see is $275 , that is $270 more than I would pay for it. 

But that is actually a popular character (in comics and outside of comics) that is likely to hang around. That it is arguably not the first appearance is another issue.

2 hours ago, the blob said:

But that is actually a popular character (in comics and outside of comics) that is likely to hang around. That it is arguably not the first appearance is another issue.

Maybe so, but before the hype, who cared? And I still don't, another one is Marvel Premiere #28, I don't even remember why that shot up in price, was it another movie rumor or something? :eyeroll: Nice cover, mess book, these are books I will never own because I refuse to buy into this hype bollocks, and I can't imagine I am the only one, that can't be good for the hobby .......it still is a hobby...isn't it? O.o  

2 minutes ago, batmiesta said:

Maybe so, but before the hype, who cared? And I still don't, another one is Marvel Premiere #28, I don't even remember why that shot up in price, was it another movie rumor or something? :eyeroll: Nice cover, mess book, these are books I will never own because I refuse to buy into this hype bollocks, and I can't imagine I am the only one, that can't be good for the hobby .......it still is a hobby...isn't it? O.o  

I bought the marvel premiere 28 from half price books just before the hype. As I bought it for the book, i didn't sell, but I then bought champions 1 1975.

Seems it was a niche at the time, but I'll enjoy them....

4 minutes ago, grebal said:
6 hours ago, blazingbob said:

So you condone insider trading?

Sounds more like (legal) information arbitrage, which is not quite the same thing.  Unless the info came from an actual "insider," in which case Andy should go to jail.

Image result for burn the witch jpg

11 hours ago, grebal said:

Sounds more like (legal) information arbitrage, which is not quite the same thing.  Unless the info came from an actual "insider," in which case Andy should go to jail.

How would there be insider trading in terms of comic books?  You get a call from the movie studios and they tell you about the upcoming movies they are planning before announcing it to the public?  I guess its the same as insider trading with stocks but would a person break a law if they got a tip from a studios (which I have never gotten - the bastards).

Edited by 1Cool

5 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

How would there be insider trading in terms of comic books?  You get a call from the movie studios and they tell you about the upcoming movies they are planning before announcing it to the public?  I guess its the same as insider trading with stocks but would a person break a law if they got a tip from a studios (which I have never gotten - the bastards).

Yeah it's not insider trading because the information is garnered from an open source. Even if there were movie professionals doing this I doubt there are laws pertaining to comic books that are similar to stocks.