• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Movie Hype is a PITA...list the books that are dropping fast
2 2

80 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

I am saying that those who buy the books during movie hype should be careful as few examples hold their value after the film, the Incredible Hulk 271 you posted above is an example..

I think it is important to also note that neither of the examples you posted are at the level of Marvel Super-heroes 13 "hype" escalation which is why I am specifically discussing that particular book.

And MSH 13 has a number of things going for it.

1. Supply / demand. Iron Man #55 has been graded 3,500 times by CGC and 2% are 9.8. MSH #13 1,218 and 0.6% are 9.6 or higher.

2. First female lead Marvel comic book movie. Wonder Woman being the first since the recent move wave. Woman characters have been overlooked and are seeing a major correction.

1 minute ago, ygogolak said:

Sure, I would never buy during movie hype. But, as you glossed over Iron Man #55 has only risen in value since the original movie appearance.

Glossed over seems rather harsh. I didn't discuss Iron Man 55...so what? Lets have a look at IM 55 2 years from now after the Thanos story is completed in movies.

It seems you and I agree, you shouldn't be buying books at the high price during movie hype.

9 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

Glossed over seems rather harsh. I didn't discuss Iron Man 55...so what? Lets have a look at IM 55 2 years from now after the Thanos story is completed in movies.

It seems you and I agree, you shouldn't be buying books at the high price during movie hype.

I think we can all agree it's not wise to buy at the high point especially when there is a huge upswing in price but people want the hot things and price be damned.  Is it smart to buy the hot concert ticket when the band is hot when you could see them in 5 years later when tickets are half price?  Is it smart to buy cruise tickets during spring break when prices are 2x what you could pay in July? 

2 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I think we can all agree it's not wise to buy at the high point especially when there is a huge upswing in price but people want the hot things and price be damned.  Is it smart to buy the hot concert ticket when the band is hot when you could see them in 5 years later when tickets are half price?  Is it smart to buy cruise tickets during spring break when prices are 2x what you could pay in July? 

John Tesh won't be around forever....

14 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Nope. I am just as guilty: is it wise to try to buy a Planet Comics Church pedigree book during the on mass sale on Comicconnect of the Church collection? Probably not but it wont stop me from trying... **edit, looking at the prices I have no chance. LOL

Edited by Artboy99

20 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

IF your "intent" is "strictly to sell" then yes wait for the demand to drop after the movie hype fades. 

(It won't happen when they make the movie announcement to "Samurai Cat". Even after the movie hype fades, it will be worth 5X of what an Amazing Fantasy 15 sells for in the same grade...lol)

Edited by musicmeta

i can' t think of a duller way to collect comics: flipping via movie hype. 

EDIT: Does a store owner here have a "portrait" of a comic-book movie hype flipper? Similarities they all possess? Manner of dress? Etc? Built a line up!

Edited by NoMan

1 hour ago, Ride the Tiger said:

Movie hype is just a form of speculation. We learned how dangerous that is in the 1990s. Don't make the same mistake we did back then.

Seems like the 1993-94 implosion due to comic and sportscard :preach: spec followed similar pattern of the b/w boom and then gloom circa 1984-85 that crushed many LCS's. These hot 1:20 or 1:100 WEEKLY Wed. cover variants cannot be sustained in 2019. :boo:

5 hours ago, NoMan said:

EDIT: Does a store owner here have a "portrait" of a comic-book movie hype flipper? Similarities they all possess? Manner of dress? Etc? Built a line up!

Found one...

comic-book-guy-worst-post-ever.jpg

8 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

Seems like the 1993-94 implosion due to comic and sportscard :preach: spec followed similar pattern of the b/w boom and then gloom circa 1984-85 that crushed many LCS's. These hot 1:20 or 1:100 WEEKLY Wed. cover variants cannot be sustained in 2019. :boo:

Ah yes I forgot all about the sports cards. I was somewhat into them at the time. It used to be Fleer only if my memory serves me correctly. Then skybox, Upperdeck and a few more came along. Rookie cards were so plentious (not sure if this is a word but you get the idea) that they had no value anymore.

9 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

I’d maybe agree with you if you compared the chase variant market to the 90s crash.  People buying tons of product which couldn’t fail and they get stuck with a ton of unsellable books when the market crashes.  Movie craze mania doesn’t affect the whole hobby but more concentrated with the people flipping these books for a profit.  And since the movie books tend to go up and down fairly quickly I don’t see how there could be a true crash since most of the previous hot movie books have already crashed.  I see it being very similar to playing the futures market which is risky but you can make a bunch of cash if you get lucky.

Edited by 1Cool

14 hours ago, NoMan said:

I was just thinking the same thing as I read this thread.

(shrug)

I agree for the most part of this discussion. However, While I see similarities to the 90s in terms of variants for modern books. I don't believe this is bringing new money into the hobby. It's mostly publishers trying to squeeze $ out of the existing readership. I think most of the speculators for variants are coming from the kids who grew up in the 90s and remember the latest holofoil X-Men cover by Jim Lee from that time and how the price skyrocketed (even though there were a million of them). With regard to movie hype, both Marvel and DC's market research has shown that the movies are not bringing new readers into the market. The fans who became fans because of the movies are buying other movie related merchandise (toys, blurays, videogames,  t-shirts) not comics. And the movie key back issue market is mostly collectors selling and buying from dealers and other collectors. There is no one new. It's certainly not 12 and 13 year olds snapping up a mid grade MSH 13 for 600 bucks.

34 minutes ago, Krydel4 said:

I agree for the most part of this discussion. However, While I see similarities to the 90s in terms of variants for modern books. I don't believe this is bringing new money into the hobby. It's mostly publishers trying to squeeze $ out of the existing readership. I think most of the speculators for variants are coming from the kids who grew up in the 90s and remember the latest holofoil X-Men cover by Jim Lee from that time and how the price skyrocketed (even though there were a million of them). With regard to movie hype, both Marvel and DC's market research has shown that the movies are not bringing new readers into the market. The fans who became fans because of the movies are buying other movie related merchandise (toys, blurays, videogames,  t-shirts) not comics. And the movie key back issue market is mostly collectors selling and buying from dealers and other collectors. There is no one new. It's certainly not 12 and 13 year olds snapping up a mid grade MSH 13 for 600 bucks.

Is part of the reason of not bringing hardly any new readers because of the cost of a comic versus entertainment value? More value buying something else?  Is because comics are becoming stale...meaning pretty much the same ole story lines..hero(s) vs villian(s)..getting a bit old?
What about just plain bad writing and poor drawing/inks/paper quality...etc? I personally love the paper of the 60's/70's paper for comics.  
Is part of the reason all this variant craze that's happening?  
The constant rebooting of a character and starting all over again at #1 again? 

It would be an interesting case study to see how many people actually READ Modern comics.   I have 10 a month on my pull list, that  I read each and every one.  I like to keep up with the characters.  I would venture to say that a good percentage (30%-50%)  is not reading.  Simply buying variants or buying and filing away as runs.    I have no data to back this up.  Merely gauging responses to people on the Modern boards who ask about current titles with only a handful of responses.   You start a thread about a variant, and you get 20, 30, 40 responses.  You ask about a story line and you get crickets. 

36 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

It would be an interesting case study to see how many people actually READ Modern comics.   I have 10 a month on my pull list, that  I read each and every one.  I like to keep up with the characters.  I would venture to say that a good percentage (30%-50%)  is not reading.  Simply buying variants or buying and filing away as runs.    I have no data to back this up.  Merely gauging responses to people on the Modern boards who ask about current titles with only a handful of responses.   You start a thread about a variant, and you get 20, 30, 40 responses.  You ask about a story line and you get crickets. 

I've had a pull list for the last 30+ years, and..., not sure I've read a book since my youngest kid was born.  He'll be 22 in April.

21 hours ago, musicmeta said:

Is part of the reason of not bringing hardly any new readers because of the cost of a comic versus entertainment value? More value buying something else?  Is because comics are becoming stale...meaning pretty much the same ole story lines..hero(s) vs villian(s)..getting a bit old?
What about just plain bad writing and poor drawing/inks/paper quality...etc? I personally love the paper of the 60's/70's paper for comics.  
Is part of the reason all this variant craze that's happening?  
The constant rebooting of a character and starting all over again at #1 again? 

I think over saturation is an issue.  I look at Spiderman.  I miss when there was just 1 Spiderman title, (and 1 X-Men title).  Too much now.  We don't need AMS, PPSM, SpiderGwen, Miles Spiderman, Spiderverse this, Spider that.    The Spiderman character has become so diluted. 

Marvel and DC could really cut their Monthly offerings in half.  Quality over Quantity.

I don’t think I’ve read a new comic book since reading Saga 1-20 when they were in a collection.  I’m so far out of the loop I couldn’t tell you what books are still being produced and which have gone the way of the dodo.