• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic connect winter auction
2 2

49 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, AnkurJ said:

Didn’t see a thread about the sale. Feel free to share your observations! 😊

Well, I guess we sort of have a quasi thread going about the CC Winter Event Auction if you advance to near the top of Page 3 of this thread here:  :gossip:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/443049-detective-38-listed-on-cc-w-eoy-auction-now-added/?page=3

sure here are my thoughts just on the books I tracked.

Bats 11 3.5 sold for $4,122.  I was closely watching that as prices seem to be right sizing after an outlier sale of a 3.0 for $5,975 threw weird energy into the cosmos.

Blue Beetle (Fox) #17 6.5 sold for $1,650.  I've never seen this book before and apparently neither has CC.  I'm sure a collector is real happy to have this.  Seriously, how many copies of this book exist? wow.

Blue Beetle (Fox) #36 Church 9.4 hammered for $1,805.  I don't think it's the most inspired cover in the run but it's the best copy out there.  I was hoping to steal it at a lower price, no luck.

Tec 71 5.5 with the iconic Joker cover went for $5,100.  Seems such a safe, high quality pickup for someone.

The Tec 168 2.5 realized $7,550.  Seems like the kind of magical book that you wake up the next day and it's already worth more than what you paid for.

A stunning Cap 77 7.0 went for $3,050.  This was actually my favorite book in today's session.  Some of these Cap books from the 50's are really overlooked and a beast to get in this condition.  A feel the same way about the Subby's in the 50's, shhh don't let the good secret out!

Edited by atomised

50 minutes ago, atomised said:

A stunning Cap 77 7.0 went for $3,050.  This was actually my favorite book in today's session.  Some of these Cap books from the 50's are really overlooked and a beast to get in this condition.  A feel the same way about the Subby's in the 50's, shhh don't let the good secret out!

Would this also apply to all of those near last issue Atlas hero books like Human Torch and Young Men also?  hm

11 minutes ago, tth2 said:

Superman #14 is joining the ranks of $100k books.

You mean this little copy here that is already at $104K with still almost 2 more days to go:

sup1.12519a.jpg

As Peter had posted in the other thread, he believes this might even get as high as the $130K to $140K price range which would put it about $100K more than the highest recorded sale in the Heritage archives to date for a copy of Supes 14.  :whatthe:

As I stated in the other thread, the assumption that Heritage tends to always get the highest prices for books may not necessarily be true.  Especially from the consignor's point of view once you factor in the higher auction fees that is retained by Heritage.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

16 hours ago, lou_fine said:

You mean this little copy here that is already at $104K with still almost 2 more days to go:

sup1.12519a.jpg

As Peter had posted in the other thread, he believes this might even get as high as the $130K to $140K price range which would put it about $100K more than the highest recorded sale in the Heritage archives to date for a copy of Supes 14.  :whatthe:

As I stated in the other thread, the assumption that Heritage tends to always get the highest prices for books may not necessarily be true.  Especially from the consignor's point of view once you factor in the higher auction fees that is retained by Heritage.  hm

rather spectacular copy. Tough black cover. Just...wow.

22 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I can't find any previous sale of a 9.4 copy on Heritage.  Do you have a link?

1 hour ago, tth2 said:
On 12/12/2018 at 11:54 PM, lou_fine said:

I can't find any previous sale of a 9.4 copy on Heritage.  Do you have a link?

The previous one on Heritage that I was referring to was a CGC 9.2 graded copy that sold for $35,850 back in May of 2015:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superman-14-dc-1942-cgc-nm-92-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7136-91205.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Superman #14 (DC, 1942) CGC NM- 9.2 Off-white to white pages....

At the time of that sale, it was one of two highest graded copies in existence since this CGC 9.4 graded copy in the current CC Auction was graded only a year ago back in December of 2017.  That's still a pretty significant increase in price (if Peter's prediction comes true) for the highest graded copy in existence at the time.  (thumbsu

1 hour ago, nearmint said:

If I can interrupt the Superman #14 discussion for a moment...I snagged myself a funny book!  :banana:

I've never owned a copy of this issue before, but have always loved the cover. 

master34.jpg

That is an awesome pickup. You see the other captain Nazi books come up more often than this copy. And how the heck is that just a 7.0???

5 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

That is an awesome pickup. You see the other captain Nazi books come up more often than this copy. And how the heck is that just a 7.0???

I'm really happy with it, but I'm also on the lookout for an upgrade.  Would love to find a ped of this issue. 

On 12/13/2018 at 12:30 AM, atomised said:

Blue Beetle (Fox) #17 6.5 sold for $1,650.  I've never seen this book before and apparently neither has CC.  I'm sure a collector is real happy to have this.  Seriously, how many copies of this book exist? wow.

Blue Beetle (Fox) #36 Church 9.4 hammered for $1,805.  I don't think it's the most inspired cover in the run but it's the best copy out there.  I was hoping to steal it at a lower price, no luck.

That 17 is a tough book.  I think I have only seen one other copy for sale.  

I am missing three issues of BB in the 30s (34-36).  Most of the run is tough.  41 though is rampantly available (warehouser).  I, personally, wouldn't have ponied up nearly $2 for the MH 36 but the 17 seemed like a decent snag for someone.

3 hours ago, tth2 said:

You can't compare the price of a 9.2 copy to a 9.4 copy just because each was at the time the highest graded copy.  It's an apples to oranges comparison.

Why?  Highest graded is highest graded.

Let's assume the MH Action 1 is the single best copy in existence (a safe assumption, I think), will it really matter to its price whether it grades out as a 9.2 (Fishler's view) or 9.4 (Borock's view)?  I don't think.  World's best Action 1 is worth what its worth because it is the best, not because its a 9.4 or 9.2.  

10 hours ago, nearmint said:

If I can interrupt the Superman #14 discussion for a moment...I snagged myself a funny book!  :banana:

I've never owned a copy of this issue before, but have always loved the cover. 

master34.jpg

Very nice!  Raboy covers rule!

8 hours ago, nearmint said:
8 hours ago, batman_fan said:

I'm really happy with it, but I'm also on the lookout for an upgrade.  Would love to find a ped of this issue. 

It is tough.  I have a 5.0.  Never quite understood why these books are as scarce as they are.  I guess the very high sales of CMA didn't carry over to Masters.