• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic connect winter auction
2 2

49 posts in this topic

On 12/13/2018 at 1:30 AM, atomised said:

Blue Beetle (Fox) #36 Church 9.4 hammered for $1,805.  I don't think it's the most inspired cover in the run but it's the best copy out there.  I was hoping to steal it at a lower price, no luck.

That's putting it mildly.  No disrespect to the winner (I threw in a couple of bids when it looked like it might end very low), but that cover is an indication of why BB (with the exception of a few issues) has never ranked very high on most collectors' hit parade.

20 minutes ago, clarkkentdds said:

The #14 9.4 used to be a 9.2...

From little acorns mighty oaks grow.

10 hours ago, sfcityduck said:
13 hours ago, tth2 said:

You can't compare the price of a 9.2 copy to a 9.4 copy just because each was at the time the highest graded copy.  It's an apples to oranges comparison.

Why?  Highest graded is highest graded.

Let's assume the MH Action 1 is the single best copy in existence (a safe assumption, I think), will it really matter to its price whether it grades out as a 9.2 (Fishler's view) or 9.4 (Borock's view)?  I don't think.  World's best Action 1 is worth what its worth because it is the best, not because its a 9.4 or 9.2.  

So if the previously highest graded copy of a book was a 2.0, and then a 9.4 copy is graded, the 9.4 copy should sell for only slightly more than the 2.0 copy because "highest graded is highest graded"?

Superman 14 ended up at $112K.

Edited by adamstrange

31 minutes ago, The-Collector said:

This seems like a pretty healthy price. 

Screen Shot 2018-12-15 at 3.28.18 pm.png

The census reflects that it's a very difficult book to find.

I'm feeling very down about it.

Spoiler

Not really.

PioneerPict6.jpg.7072c81037b1a254f76e0c9db10c5d40.jpg

1 hour ago, tth2 said:

Other notable sales:

Planet Comics #2 CGC 9.4 (MH) $40,222

Police Comics #2 CGC 9.4 (MH) $7,100

Police Comics #5 CGC 9.6 (MH) $13,710

I think the PC #2 sold for a very reasonable price.

I was the under bidder on the Police Comics #5 and I had a hard time getting my head around that sale.  As soon as I ended my bidding after a few extended rounds, the book sold slightly above - I got the sense I was going head to head with someone.  I believe this is the copy HA solid in May for $19,120.  I have no idea why it sold for this much less.  What an amazing book and congrats to the buyer.

8 hours ago, atomised said:
9 hours ago, tth2 said:

Police Comics #5 CGC 9.6 (MH) $13,710

I believe this is the copy HA solid in May for $19,120. 

Ouch! :eek:

8 hours ago, atomised said:

I have no idea why it sold for this much less.

Not too difficult to figure out why.  Selling a book only 7 months later isn't usually advisable. 

The winner in May is now selling, which means that one of the bidders in May is missing this time around.  Assuming that the price spiraled up in May because of a 2-way competition between the winner and an underbidder, this time the underbidder only had to compete with whoever came in 3rd place last time, which means the underbidder wins at a much lower level.  That's assuming the underbidder was even bidding this time around--who knows if he/she tracks CC auctions.

On 12/14/2018 at 6:46 AM, tth2 said:

You can't compare the price of a 9.2 copy to a 9.4 copy just because each was at the time the highest graded copy.  It's an apples to oranges comparison.

I would certainly understand this point of view if you was referring to more recent key SA books where they are available in high condition.  With respect to the GA books, I thought the thinking with most collectors was that availability of a high grade copy, especially the highest graded copy, is a big factor in determining the final price as opposed to the actual grade itself. (shrug)

Especially in the case of a CGC 9.2 highest graded copy at the time versus a CGC 9.4 now highest graded copy a few years later.  With undisclosed grading standard changes over time and the constant CPR game now being played by many speculators, its certainly not unreasonable to have a CGC 9.2 graded book on a Monday become a CGC 9.4 graded book on a Wednesday.  This can be done with or without any additional additional optimization work being done to the book, as grading is still an art (as opposed to an exact science) and totally subjective based upon various factors at the time.  Yet the difference between $35,000 and say $130,000 is a very clear and distinct difference to me which cannot be disputed.  Now, if you was talking about say a then highest graded copy of CGC 5.0 versus a now highest graded copy of CGC 9.4, then I could buy your argument as it being an apples to oranges comparison.  Definitely not so much the case for a comparison between only a minor difference of a CGC 9.2 graded copy against a CGC 9.4 graded copy.  hm

I guess I am just not one of those deep pocketed collectors who have so much confidence in CGC's grading that I would be willing to fork over a significant extra $100,000 dollars for something so seemingly insignificant as only a subjective 0.2 difference in the condition grade of a book.  But again, to each their own.  (thumbsu

On 12/14/2018 at 6:46 AM, tth2 said:

On 12/14/2018 at 6:03 PM, clarkkentdds said:

Counselor;

We rest our case. :D

Well, it's obvious to me that clark here would make for a much better lawyer as he is so much more concise and succinct in presenting his case than me.  (thumbsu

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I guess I am just not one of those deep pocketed collectors who have so much confidence in CGC's grading that I would be willing to fork over a significant extra $100,000 dollars for something so seemingly insignificant as only a subjective 0.2 difference in the condition grade of a book.  But again, to each their own.  (thumbsu

Once the book is in a slab, the 0.2 difference is not subjective at all.  It's completely and irrefutably objective.  No matter what angle you look at the book and whatever microscopic examination you might choose to make, that label will continue to say 9.4, and 9.4 will continue to be 0.2 higher than 9.2.

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:
On 12/15/2018 at 10:03 AM, clarkkentdds said:

Counselor;

We rest our case. :D

Well, it's obvious to me that clark here would make for a much better lawyer as he is so much more concise and succinct in presenting his case than me.  (thumbsu

Doesn't matter Dean.  You're still of the old school mindset that a slabbed comic has an existence separate from its existence inside the slab.  The market has spoken, and certainly at least 2 bidders here have spoken, that so long as a comic is inside a slab, that comic is a 9.4 so long as its label says 9.4, and any slab that the book used to reside in is irrelevant. 

Edited by tth2

On 12/14/2018 at 10:17 AM, sfcityduck said:
   On 12/14/2018 at 6:46 AM, tth2 said:

Why?  Highest graded is highest graded.

Let's assume the MH Action 1 is the single best copy in existence (a safe assumption, I think), will it really matter to its price whether it grades out as a 9.2 (Fishler's view) or 9.4 (Borock's view)?  I don't think [so].  World's best Action 1 is worth what its worth because it is the best, not because its a 9.4 or 9.2.  

So if the previously highest graded copy of a book was a 2.0, and then a 9.4 copy is graded, the 9.4 copy should sell for only slightly more than the 2.0 copy because "highest graded is highest graded"?

We're comparing 9.2 to 9.4.  I gave you a real world example of the MH Action 1 (Borock says 9.4, Fishler 9.2, in either case it is highest graded).  I think it holds up.

Edited by sfcityduck

4 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

i just wanted to unite the guy in the corner with his long-lost twin.

sha1673a.jpg

They actually put baby in a corner.