• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic connect winter auction
2 2

49 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, GoldCap said:

Does anyone know what the two Daring Love #1's sold for?

Ask and ye shall receive:

dar11.11a.jpg

Looks like the above CGC 2.5 graded copy sold for $1,815 and I believe it didn't move at all during the extended bidding time period, while the CGC 4.0 graded copy below sold for $3,048:

dar11.10a.jpg

From the scans, it would appear that the back cover for this 4.0 graded copy is far superior to the more worn out appearance of the front cover here.

On 12/16/2018 at 3:53 PM, lou_fine said:

I guess I am just not one of those deep pocketed collectors who have so much confidence in CGC's grading that I would be willing to fork over a significant extra $100,000 dollars for something so seemingly insignificant as only a subjective 0.2 difference in the condition grade of a book.  But again, to each their own.  (thumbsu

On 12/16/2018 at 6:57 PM, tth2 said:

Doesn't matter Dean.  You're still of the old school mindset that a slabbed comic has an existence separate from its existence inside the slab.  The market has spoken, and certainly at least 2 bidders here have spoken, that so long as a comic is inside a slab, that comic is a 9.4 so long as its label says 9.4, and any slab that the book used to reside in is irrelevant. 

Tim;

As I had stated in my post above, it's really to each their own, as I can definitely also understand the mindset of the CGC generation of collectors. (thumbsu

As you had stated, I am definitely guilty of the old school mindset whereby I place a significant relevance on the visual appearance of the book vis-a-vis the grade on the label, as opposed to just focusing on that big number on the top left of the label above anything else.  As such, I would not be willing to pay triple the price for any book that is only one incremental grade higher, especially if it is exactly the same book and even more so, if the difference in price is in the neighbourhood of 6 figures.  hm

All I can say for those buyers who are willing to pay this kind of increased multiple for only a one incremental grade higher in this day and age of rampant and undisclosed optimization of potential along with undisclosed changes in grading standards over time, then more power to them.  (thumbsu  (thumbsu  

Wonder what was discussed that was so inappropriate in the Detective 38 thread that the Mods decided to purge the entire thread, even though the last few pages was all about the recent ComicConnect Auction and some of the books in the auction?  hm  (tsk)

22 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Wonder what was discussed that was so inappropriate in the Detective 38 thread that the Mods decided to purge the entire thread, even though the last few pages was all about the recent ComicConnect Auction and some of the books in the auction?  hm  (tsk)

Does this happen often?  I’d followed and participated in that thread, and learned new stuff about Tommy Thorson’s collection of PreRobin Tecs.  I thought the thread meandered a lot of directions, but found it interesting and informative 

15 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Does this happen often?  I’d followed and participated in that thread, and learned new stuff about Tommy Thorson’s collection of PreRobin Tecs.  I thought the thread meandered a lot of directions, but found it interesting and informative 

Gave it some more thought and I remember that the thread was started by Peter and the topic was on a 'Tec 38 that had been graded a few different times by CGC and the other company who we seemingly cannot name on these boards here or the entire thread might just be purged.  :ph34r:

I guess we have to understand that these boards belong to the host company and as a matter of courtesy to them, they do not want us to post anything that would put the other company in an overly positive light and/or shine a negative spotlight on themselves.  (tsk)

Unfortunately, I would have to assume whatever was posted in the first couple of pages of the thread (which I actually can't remember the exact details) was enough for the Mods to kill the entire thread even though the last few pages were all about the CC auction and as you said, was rather interesting and informative.  They really should have just killed the first couple of pages and left the last few, but I guess they really didn't want to leave any questionable traces behind at all.  (shrug)