• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Immortal Hulk
1 1

47 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, Gabagool said:

immortal Hulk has been a breath of fresh air. it's one of my favorite Marvel titles currently, and i was glad when this came out and replace " totally awesome"..... we got our Original hulk back !

I definitely prefer the Hulk as a monster, and prefer that he isn't dumb...just misunderstood and feared because of his power and unpredictability.

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 3:44 PM, kairos70 said:

Third times the charm. There is a hop-scotch Prequel to the Immortal Hulk. Although Banner is the Immortal Hulk, he hasn't been resurrecting himself . After Banner was killed by Hawkeye in Civil War II #3 , the criminal ninja organization ,The Hand, stole Hulk's body in Uncanny Avengers #14. The Avengers tried to stop the Hand's ritual in Uncanny Avengers #15 but were unsuccessful. The resurrected zombie-like Hulk emerged and engaged the Avengers in battle that ran from Uncanny Avengers #16  into #17. In issue #17 Doctor Voodoo was able to free Bruce Banner from The Hand's control and Banner subsequently "died" again.

The second resurrection was in Secret Empires #5. Arnim Zola brought Banner back briefly under the control of Hydra except the second resurrected Hulk wasn't zombie-like. Although Bruce Banner didn't want to help Hydra, the Hulk persona had no qualms about doing battle against the Anti-Hydra group known as The Underground.  Zola used a time-delayed device to kill Hulk again right before the Hydra base was destroyed in Secret Empire #6. Hulk's deteriorated body was left buried under the Mount.

The third and final resurrection before immortality came about in the  Avengers "No surrender" story arc. Challenger, an Elder of the Universe challenged The Grandmaster to a cosmic game. Challenger was the original Grandmaster but lost the title to En Dwi Gast after losing a previous cosmic game. The Challenger brought Bruce Banner back to life in Avengers #679 (he was in the shadows) in order to have Hulk be his ultimate champion. Bruce realized after this third resurrection that he was essentially immortal and he is captioned as so in a cameo shot in Avengers #682. In Avengers #684 Immortal Hulk goes into battle for the Challenger ,however, he ended up double-crossing Challenger causing him to lose the cosmic game. After the Avengers "No surrender" situation, the Immortal Hulk/Banner decided to hit the road again trying to stay under the radar and do good where ever he could. That's where the Immortal Hulk series picked up. 

This was a great recap and I appreciate it!  I have no single issue but TPB's 1 & 2. 

Going to be a little expensive buying single issues now.  This is moving to iconic status for me and it's about time Hulk was relevant again IMO

Some seller with 0% feedback is selling 3 individual Immortal 2 Zaffino variants for $76.25.  What is really shady is this seller is from China and is not charging anything for shipping.  Anyone who is dumb enough to purchase a copy from this seller, deserves what they get.

1 hour ago, Tazmaster83 said:

Some seller with 0% feedback is selling 3 individual Immortal 2 Zaffino variants for $76.25.  What is really shady is this seller is from China and is not charging anything for shipping.  Anyone who is dumb enough to purchase a copy from this seller, deserves what they get.

I've noticed a lot of low price sold  keys coming from that seller. I never clicked on the ad to check their feedback because I saw China as the country of origin. I wouldn't buy anything from there on ebay no matter how affordable the buy-it-now price is.

I think it’s been a great read and a great refresh on the character in general. The Hulk needed it. I’m interested to see where it ultimately goes. I don’t think turning the Hulk into an undying monster who is only vulnerable during the day is a long term thing, but who knows. Right now, I’m enjoying it, but I am worried it’s too close to going “stale” without some major kind of pivot, or reveal.

5 hours ago, BobBain said:

I preordered the two book set of Alex Ross' SDCC Immortal Hulk #20.   
Cover B is going to be hot!

Dang it, I missed this.  Didn't even hear about it until it was too late.  Guess I'll have to seek out a facilitator to help me pick up copies from his booth.  :\

6 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

Dang it, I missed this.  Didn't even hear about it until it was too late.  Guess I'll have to seek out a facilitator to help me pick up copies from his booth.  :\

There are still a few signed sets left @ $125 plus shipping.
https://www.alexrossart.com/Immortal-Hulk-20-Alex-Ross-Art-Exclusive-Set-of-2-SIGNED_p_925.html

10 hours ago, BobBain said:

I don't like buying signed books not graded by CGC.  It's just a personal preference.  And in this case, I shouldn't be spending $400 to buy cover A&B signed/graded.  I'll just hope more stock goes up on his site or that I can get a facilitator to grab some for me at SDCC.

5 hours ago, Juaks said:

Sorry, is the main cover better to collect in the Long run or variant cover for immortal hulk? There seem to be too many variant covers to choose 

Depending on popularity, some variant covers may increase in value long term, but it's a real crapshoot.  I'm sticking with his regular covers, but in this case I do like his cover B as it's an homage to Hulk #1.  But I'm also collecting it for its artistic merit and not for any long term value.

So I FINALLY got around to picking up the first two trades to read this, as I do not normally buy anything new but soooooooo many people said how great this was, I had to.

Am I missing something? Is it simply the fact that they took back Hulk to his “I’m a monster by night” origin? Having only read the first two trade I don’t see how this can last. Plus they are so concerned about capturing him, why not follow Hulk at night and then capture him when he is Banner? 

I will say it isn’t bad. 99% of Hulk solo stuff is terrible. He has always been better as a bit player in a team or crossover or appearance in someone else’s title. This take isn’t bad but I just am not blown away. I also don’t understand calling this a horror comic. There is no horror element aside from a night only Hulk. He’s not some enraged monster, he is capable of thought...a lot of it. He doesn’t seem bent on killing, at least not on purpose. I was half expecting that the way people were talking and would consider that an actual horror comic and waaaay more interesting.

I also find the grotesquely drawn fight between Hulk and Absorbing Man laughable. If that’s the horror people are loving, it’s silly. Hulk looks anorexic with a big head and he’s fighting a spine with a split open Absorbing Man just hanging there. Now they are supposedly in Hell. That’s where I am left hanging and trying to decide if I love this enough to continue. 

The artwork isn’t bad but again when you have hardly any great current art outside of indie books it isn’t hard to appeal to people when the bar is so low. Obviously the Alex Ross covers are the best thing about them as he is fantastic.

In conclusion, I am on the fence and leaning towards ditching it. If this continues with Hulk wandering through Hell battling some old villain or even a new one and monsters and whatever, I’m out. If they have a nice wrap up to who this Dr Frye guy is and why they wanted to experiment on Hulk so badly, I might continue.

Edited by comicginger1789

On 6/30/2020 at 10:12 PM, oldbsturgeon said:

My issue 34 just arrived in the mail today. I got a cool condensed understanding of the leader I was unaware of. What it means to this storyline I don’t know 

Seems like they were suggesting he is the "Immortal Leader". It appears almost all gamma mutates are immortal in a sense but they change subtly when they return from the "dead".