• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any Mad magazine OA collectors?

21 posts in this topic

I haven't seen too many discussions on Mad OA (or for that matter OA from Cracked, Crazy, Sick ...). Just want to see who here is into that stuff! 

I personally have several Duck Edwing pages (finally got around to posting on my CAF) and assorted pieces from Dave Berg, Paul Porges, Al Jaffee, John Caldwell, John Severin, Alan Kupperberg, Bruce Bolinger, ...

I am a BIG collector of Antonio Prohias Spy vs Spy art. Below are some including 2 of the 20 Spy vs Spy vs Spy published in Mad. Mad published Spy vs Spy with the two gags (single panel on top, 6-panel on the bottom) together from issue #60 up to #125. With issue #126 each Spy vs Spy was just a single 6-panel gag by Prohias.

The morse code at the bottom of the top gag translates to "by Prohias"

Mad #74

spyvspyvspy74.jpg

Mad #75

Mad #75 - Spy Vs Spy.jpg

Mad #84

spyvsspyvsspy_85.jpg

Mad #269

Last Spy vs Spy Antonio Prohias wrote and drew. After this issue he would come up with the gags, drawing rough layouts and Bob Clarke and others would draw the finished gag.

mad269last_spyvspsy.jpg

Edited by Brian Peck

What I collect would probably be considered pretty specific.

I own the complete 6 page story "Battlestar Garlictica" by John Severin from Cracked Magazine:

garlic1.jpg.82977f146a18c15c96fa8d0a16adc711.jpg

Story can be read here

I think it would be a hoot to pair that story with its Mad Magazine counterpart 'CattleCar Galaxica' by Angelo Torres.  Anyone know where that story might be?

cattle.jpg.9a33dd6ce4e0c5d51b31b2cc09ce003e.jpg

Andrew