• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some kind of a new record for Marvel Super-Heroes #13

64 posts in this topic

52 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

No it won't. Even stupidity has its limits.

I'd bet on the $100,000 price for the lone 9.8 if it went into one of the big auctions.  If a lowly 9.6 went for 30k then 3x seems about right for single highest.

4 hours ago, ygogolak said:

An 8.0 was more than $1k last year.

only because of the movie hype surrounding Ms. Marvel. Do you actually believe the book will maintain these levels of value? A CGC 9.6 is really worth more than a CGC 4.5 AF 15 or CGC 6.0 Hulk #1?

Sell them if you got 'em people and cash in on the stupidity.

11 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

only because of the movie hype surrounding Ms. Marvel. Do you actually believe the book will maintain these levels of value? A CGC 9.6 is really worth more than a CGC 4.5 AF 15 or CGC 6.0 Hulk #1?

Sell them if you got 'em people and cash in on the stupidity.

Why is AF 15 of Hulk 1 worth so much? Sell them while you can.

Just now, ygogolak said:

Why is AF 15 of Hulk 1 worth so much? Sell them while you can.

first appearances of major characters, and the books have been valuable for decades. Certainly have not vaulted in value by 9X or more because of a movie coming out.

Just now, Artboy99 said:

first appearances of major characters, and the books have been valuable for decades. Certainly have not vaulted in value by 9X or more because of a movie coming out.

Why must people continually bring up the fact that others are not allowed to collect or pay what they want for something?
Did you ever think the people paying these prices already have those books?
Carol Danvers has been around for decades too.

1 minute ago, ygogolak said:

Why must people continually bring up the fact that others are not allowed to collect or pay what they want for something?
Did you ever think the people paying these prices already have those books?
Carol Danvers has been around for decades too.

you are correct that people can spend whatever amounts of cash they have for whatever they want. They are allowed to do so and no one says they can not.

I and those who think like me question why they spend the money they do is all it amounts to. Why is a book that sold for $1500 2 years ago suddenly worth $12,000? Certainly there is nothing wrong with questioning that validity.

5 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

you are correct that people can spend whatever amounts of cash they have for whatever they want. They are allowed to do so and no one says they can not.

I and those who think like me question why they spend the money they do is all it amounts to. Why is a book that sold for $1500 2 years ago suddenly worth $12,000? Certainly there is nothing wrong with questioning that validity.

Because that is the market we are in. If you want to use logic from 20 years ago, you will not understand.

2 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Because that is the market we are in. If you want to use logic from 20 years ago, you will not understand.

The logic I employ is not from 20 years ago, it is from today. Paying $31,000 for something does not make that item worth that today or tomorrow or 10 years from now. It was a purchase made for no market reason, it made no market sense and it should be questioned.

1 minute ago, Artboy99 said:

The logic I employ is not from 20 years ago, it is from today. Paying $31,000 for something does not make that item worth that today or tomorrow or 10 years from now. It was a purchase made for no market reason, it made no market sense and it should be questioned.

May I use your logic to buy some stocks then since you can tell what the market will be in 10 years?

We all understand movie hype. And yes, it's a real thing. I agree, in a year Captain Marvel will be off people's radar. But those books may also be off the market. What you are assuming is people are buying these to sell in a year. Maybe some are actually going in collections.

Just now, ygogolak said:

May I use your logic to buy some stocks then since you can tell what the market will be in 10 years?

We all understand movie hype. And yes, it's a real thing. I agree, in a year Captain Marvel will be off people's radar. But those books may also be off the market. What you are assuming is people are buying these to sell in a year. Maybe some are actually going in collections.

what the market will be in 10 years is relatively uncertain, what is certain is that whoever paid $31,000 for the CGC Marvel Super-heroes #13 vastly overpaid whether it was for a personal collection or for a sale down the road. Vastly overpaid when you consider what the market has been for the book and what the perceived market value will be in 10 years. You know it, I know it and so does virtually everyone else in this thread.

I will admit that I have purchased books paying at the time GPA high or even higher for my personal collection. I justify my decision in that I knew the value of the books would be more in a few years by observing market trends. The payment of $31,000 in this case is not a market trend. It does not make sense with exception to the person who made the purchase.

For the people who do not like the current market are you sitting it all out and not buying or selling hot movie craze books?  There may be a couple who say they are sitting back and watching the madness but everyone I know is checking the long boxes and selling the hot books when they explode.  You can't tsk people's buying habits when you are hip deep in the profits being made by the hot books.