• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tips on photographing slabs?
1 1

31 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, oldrover said:

Wow. I can’t thank you enough. Is the scanner compatible with older versions of Windows? I use Windows 7, trying desperately not to upgrade. LOL (actually it’s due to recording software I use)

The scanners that work well for scanning CGC slabs are so old that the manufacturers quit updating the software long ago.  As such, they pretty much are not compatible with any version of Windows in use today.  That's where VueScan comes in.  It enables the scanners to be used with the more recent versions of Windows.

30 minutes ago, oldrover said:

Wow. I can’t thank you enough. Is the scanner compatible with older versions of Windows? I use Windows 7, trying desperately not to upgrade. LOL (actually it’s due to recording software I use)

7..really? You are old :baiting:

On 12/14/2018 at 5:19 PM, somewhereintexas said:

The scanners that work well for scanning CGC slabs are so old that the manufacturers quit updating the software long ago.  As such, they pretty much are not compatible with any version of Windows in use today.  That's where VueScan comes in.  It enables the scanners to be used with the more recent versions of Windows.

I have an HP 8300 on Windows 10 & haven't had any problems with the HP drivers. I'll check out the VueScan though just in case something ever goes wonky. 

On 12/14/2018 at 5:06 PM, somewhereintexas said:

If you end up taking the plunge on another scanner, you can send me a PM for the VueScan settings I use.  I got them from the scanner thread, but at this point it would take a while for someone to dig up that post.  Otherwise it's quite a bit of trial and error to come up with good settings.

And while I'm thinking of it, another tip is to scan with the lid open.  That provides the black border you see in my scan, as opposed to the inside of the lid.

I got the scanner for $50 shipped. I’ll definitely take you up on your settings offer when it arrives. Thanks again!

On 12/14/2018 at 2:31 PM, oldrover said:

None of the recommended scanners were easily acquired or even available. The thread IS upwards of 10 years old.

HP 8250. 

Got mine used on eBay about 7 years ago for $50 bucks. I've probably taken several thousand scans with it. Still going strong. 

Much easier than taking pictures. 

And never hire the CGC to do your scans. They are small and so low-res that they are practically unusable. 

The HP 8250 will run with Windows 7 but you will need to download the driver from HPs website. I use paint.net software (free). 

Don't blame you for running from Windows 10. It's garbage. 

As mentioned before, all of this is covered in detail in another thread. 

Vintage Comics already posted up the legal size scanner thread.  Check it out.  It will explain why new scanners take soft (fuzzy) scans of pictures, why older scanners using an older (still available but only expensive new scanners) technology.  

HP Scanjet 7000 & 8000 series scanners were mostly business class and HP has kept up to date drivers for Windows.  I have an 8300. It was originally used in at the US State Dept.  HP has current Win 10 drivers on their website,  It's tank like reliable and makes good scans. HP sold a jillion of them so they are not hard to find. If you find one in an eBay auction, they will usually go for less than $200. But if you want one right now, it's as cheap as $250 (with a best offer available) and $30 for shipping. Which is reasonable as they are big, heavy and need to be securely packaged.  

The right scanner is by far the easiest way to get great images of slabs

If you really want to do it with pictures, the trick is a photo light box.  That other grading company that used to be nearby and is now in Texas uses a light box for their pictures of slabs. To photograph slabs - and not do so with funky angles - you need even and diffuse light all around the slab.  I've not used a light box for slabs, but have looked at them before. I'd be disinclined to use the sub $50 models, but maybe they would work. The ones that start around $125 look like they probably would do the job.  That's less - like almost 1/2 - a good used HP Scanjet 8300. But it takes up a lot more room. But you could photograph a wide variety of objects. So just depends.  

Edited by Tony S