• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bought my first collection: merry Christmas to me!
2 2

83 posts in this topic

34 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

Nice get. Any info on how original owner collected and what motivated the sale?  Also very interested in what percentage of full value do you think you paid?  Very cool. 

Thanks! Original owner was clearly only into Marvel and at one time this collection had some of the big hits like amazing 129, IH 180, 181, 182, Conan 1, etc but at some point a couple decades ago those were picked out of it. I couldn’t have afforded the collection with mega keys in it anyway. Is still got quite a bit of good stuff in it.

He was mainly into the Hulk and there is almost a complete Hulk run starting in tales to astonish and ending around IH 222.

i think I did alright. I figure I paid somwhere around a third of the overall value. MAYBE a bit better if I’m patient on reselling what I don’t want, but I’m not ever looking to milk dollars and cents. I’m happy to say the least!

31 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Very nice. I hope it is the first of many. My advice would be to savor the moment and sell the books as quickly as possible. The way to make money is to churn inventory, not acquire it . 

Yep. Gonna decide what I want to keep and start selling the rest ASAP. It’s a small enough collection that it isn’t super urgent to sell but im eyeing another collection that’s quite a bit bigger so ya im motivated. 

2 hours ago, Beige said:

And this is why I love these boards - a guys first find!

You can see the passion and pride in each post.

Congrats Speedcake - hope you find many more.

Thanks! I’m pretty giddy ha. 

Finished re-bagging and boarding the Hulk run. Here are the highlights and a box of sweet IH!

the 141 is absolutely wrecked. The 142 is low grade. But the 154 and 162 are super nice so it’s alright :)

7F6855CA-30F2-4BF8-8C41-F51B7F784162.jpeg

18DFA145-3F06-44E8-BF18-30D77C5877BE.jpeg

4E825DF5-278E-4302-BD10-0BB4DD0F1D64.jpeg

Congrats....

I inherited My grandfathers collection of 175 Boxes...it took me 3 years to go through it and get it the way I wanted it...

But of course the first month or so I went through every box pulling Keys and getting them all together first...

simply put, theres is NOTHING like going through A collection and discovering Keys...

My grand father lived across the street from me for 9 years before he passed, I knew his collection like the back of my hand, But I still found HUNDREDS of Keys that I didnt even know he had when I went through them after He died

I'll never forget when I found A Marvel Spotlight #5....I knew he had 1....it was Rough, Probably a 3.0...I had seen it Many times...

I was going through a box of Marvel Team Up and there was The Marvel Spotlight #5, I immediately Thought "whats It doing there, It should be in The Boxes with All His Keys", I pulled it out and started looking at it and Then really started looking at it as I realized something was wrong, It was Beautiful, Probably an 8.0, it was a completely different copy, I then look in the box where I found it and Theres Marvel Spotlight 6 to 11...then Theres Marvel Spotlight #1 to 4....Literally Just A Run Of High Grade Marvel Spotlight #1 to 11 mixed it with A box of Marvel Team Up...

I cant tell you how many Keys I found like this and It was So exciting!

Nice! That sounds like quite the job though ha.

well I’m waiting for a plane so no more pics. There’s a decent little stack of captain America, a few tomb of Dracula issues including origin of Blade (and Blade’s first appearance that I already showed off), some unfortunately beat Thor issues, a nice little stack of Daredevil including Bullseye’s second appearance, and a sprinkling of other super hero stuff. 

Really fun little collection. Hard part will be deciding how much to keep. 😩😎

are these your first comics period?

or just your first collection you bought?

I noticed you said The Amazing Spider-Man 121 was your first one and you were going to keep it...

are you working toward trying to put sets together?

its sounds like you got a pretty good start here with The Hulk, are you gonna try to keep adding to what you got a make Hulk set?

you gonna try to put together A Spider-Man set?

or you just looking to collect Keys?

These aren’t my first comics , just the first collection of any size I’ve bought. I’ve been working on a full run of volume 1 uncanny x-men and amazing spider-man and hadnt thought much about collecting any other runs. Not until I get a bit deeper into these two.

I’m not sure what I’ll do with the Hulk run. I think since it’s mostly not high grade I’ll keep the earliest books, the keys, and sell the rest. I don’t have a lot of storage room to work with.

I’d like to have a nice set eventually , at least through #200, and will probably use what I keep here as the start to that run.