• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is there a clear cut Top 5 ?
1 1

25 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

You won’t get a lot of pushback on 

1. Action 1

2. Detective 27

3. Superman 1

4. Batman 1

5. Captain America 1

....except from me, of course.

Marvel Comics 1, Baby!

I’m with you for the first 2 ....I think it gets really muddy after that and there are a lot of non fiscal arguments after that.  What I find interesting of your top 5 listed above is that all those books have the featured character on the cover ( abc are classic covers ). Any interest in rating just the covers from an iconic standpoint ? ( I’ve got Tec 27 at #5).  If you throw MC 1 into the mix why not DC 1 ??  Just askin.....

26 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

I’m with you for the first 2 ....I think it gets really muddy after that and there are a lot of non fiscal arguments after that.  What I find interesting of your top 5 listed above is that all those books have the featured character on the cover ( abc are classic covers ). Any interest in rating just the covers from an iconic standpoint ? ( I’ve got Tec 27 at #5).  If you throw MC 1 into the mix why not DC 1 ??  Just askin.....

A comparison of covers as icons might be dicey; people put a lot of weight on personal favorites. I would put Action 1 first, Cap 1 and Tec 27 tied for 2nd, Supes, Bats, then MC1.

Marvel 1 gets my love for starting my favorite comics and its double-whammy hero intros. Detective 1 is awesome (so is New Fun 1), but I think you gotta have the heroes to move this big a needle.

3 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

You won’t get a lot of pushback on 

1. Action 1

2. Detective 27

3. Superman 1

4. Batman 1

5. Captain America 1

....except from me, of course.

Marvel Comics 1, Baby!

I agree with this list. 

3 minutes ago, thedude said:

I agree with this list. 

I’ve had Cap 1 my number 3 for a while because I thought Marvel deserved some love and bat 1 at 4. I go back and forth if AS 8 deserves to be in the top 5. I think no wonder woman on the cover leaves it out. I also think pep 22 desserts and not somewhere because of the scarcity factor Others like MF 73, 816, flash comics one have her wear them selves available and more abundant in the marketplace over the last four years  where as a pep 22 continues with relatively low census number 

30 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

I’ve had Cap 1 my number 3 for a while because I thought Marvel deserved some love and bat 1 at 4. I go back and forth if AS 8 deserves to be in the top 5. I think no wonder woman on the cover leaves it out. I also think pep 22 desserts and not somewhere because of the scarcity factor Others like MF 73, 816, flash comics one have her wear them selves available and more abundant in the marketplace over the last four years  where as a pep 22 continues with relatively low census number 

The Pep 22 would be a hard book for me to own,  for the same reason you point out on the All Star 8: the character whose significance you treasure is no where to be seen. It’s inside the book, and out of view. Archie might as well be on the dark side of the moon. I don’t crack em out so that’s no solution for me. So my choices get made with the realities/limitations of the CGC holder. I think it would become a source of irritation for me that all I can see is 2 1940’s characters with whom I have no connection. 

5 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

The Pep 22 would be a hard book for me to own,  for the same reason you point out on the All Star 8: the character whose significance you treasure is no where to be seen. It’s inside the book, and out of view. Archie might as well be on the dark side of the moon. I don’t crack em out so that’s no solution for me. So my choices get made with the realities/limitations of the CGC holder. I think it would become a source of irritation for me that all I can see is 2 1940’s characters with whom I have no connection. 

I think that’s a huge plus for the coverless Action 1s , Tec 27, Cap1s , Bat and Supes 1 -the cool intro pages 

20 hours ago, woowoo said:

Well you got

Bedrock

G.A.tor

Gotham Kid

batman_fan

Cat-Man_America

(thumbsu

and me ....

:jokealert:

Edited by Mr bla bla