• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hidden/surprise art

15 posts in this topic

I bought a key DPS for a very recent modern book. The artist's technique is to do the layouts for the art on the back of the page, and then lightbox on the front. The layouts are drawn in mirror fashion, so they come out right on the front. The Double Page Splash included the first appearance of the main villain/antagonist in the comic. On the backside, in the layouts, this character was drawn a bit differently, and in a way that made their identity much more obvious. But, the final decision of the artist was to make the character's identity more ambiguous in the final version. I would show you the piece, but I want to keep it private for a while.

In any case, while some readers of the comic may have guessed the identity of this character, I know for certain who it is because of this subtle change in the way the character was first conceived by the artist in the layouts on the back of the published page.

I can show you something else, though. I am a fan of the 80’s Comic DNAgents. I found a nice DPS on eBay by the series co-creator, Will Meugniot. On the back of the two DPS pages was sone very nice bonus pin-up art featuring his female characters from the series.

Here’s the published side:

37134E12-D302-4AB1-B387-EF6A022579D9.thumb.jpeg.373f70712f2c448cdb6bb3b88917be9b.jpeg

Here are the two pin ups/character studies on the back:039D4140-75C6-419B-B419-98B7C7740E69.thumb.jpeg.20f3a4bb7c30b9dc93e95e987fc82751.jpegBDFD540C-B54F-4ED9-BFC4-B8D6413BC43B.thumb.jpeg.8725b822ebba54f8b29fefd8eff0d303.jpeg

Edited by PhilipB2k17

On 12/16/2018 at 11:28 AM, Yo!Jimbo! said:

Anybody ever discover hidden or surprise art?  I have one cool example.  I'ts not quite the same as removing the stats from a stat cover to reveal an actual hand drawn Kirby FF cover (which happened), but cool nevertheless.

Wait what?

About 3 years ago I was on ebay, and I saw this guy selling two "conan drawings". I took a look and true enough it was Conan and as it happened was also by John Buscema and Ernie Chan. It was framed and a crappy far away photo, BIN like 300 bucks. But when i looked in the corner i saw these little small black lines that appeared to be like a stamp. In fact it looked like a marvel back stamp, so i i figured I would role the dice and hit BIN.

The piece came in, an inked conan with some pencil back grounds....and it was marvel stamped right at the bottom. I had no idea but i figured there was a decent chance there was something on the other side..

ConanBack.thumb.jpg.2eb76780c75681abcd38d9f63ce5162a.jpg

Turns out my hunch was right. I was not disappointed.

ConanFRont.jpg

Edited by zhamlau

9 hours ago, zhamlau said:

About 3 years ago I was on ebay, and I saw this guy selling two "conan drawings". I took a look and true enough it was Conan and as it happened was also by John Buscema and Ernie Chan. It was framed and a crappy far away photo, BIN like 300 bucks. But when i looked in the corner i saw these little small black lines that appeared to be like a stamp. In fact it looked like a marvel back stamp, so i i figured I would role the dice and hit BIN.

The piece came in, an inked conan with some pencil back grounds....and it was marvel stamped right at the bottom. I had no idea but i figured there was a decent chance there was something on the other side..

ConanBack.thumb.jpg.2eb76780c75681abcd38d9f63ce5162a.jpg

Turns out my hunch was right. I was not disappointed.

ConanFRont.jpg

Wow - That is wild, nice pickup...what a seller!