• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I am looking to get a book restored--any suggestions on who to choose?

45 posts in this topic

I've dealt with Mike at herorestoration.net for the only 2 books I've had restored. I understand wanting to have nicer comics that cost less than a new car, and sometimes restoration is the only way to attain a copy. Both of my books were pretty ragged and he did wonders with them. FF4 is only going up and is one of those that will be out of range for most people before too long, so I say go for it. You'll never be happy with it how it is.

On 12/30/2018 at 10:10 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

But you said this book has sentimental value ? You obviously bought it after it was 'unrestored'.  Usually, the scrapes associated with a CT removal are obvious. The paper below will look fresh, not vintage. Assuming you did not recognize this, you probably paid a premium price for a manipulated book. I would sell the book and buy another copy that is original. 

Great suggestion.  I agree - sell this one and buy a higher grade unmolested copy.

Edited by pemart1966

On 12/21/2018 at 9:04 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

If you didn't want to hear opinions, why did you post and ask for opinions ? If this book has sentimental value than leave it alone. It's not the same book you owned in your childhood if you have it restored.  BTW, you are right about everyone answering from a monetary perspective. There are very few collectors anymore. Comics are no longer fun, they are an investment. Sad but true.

Not at all. I collect comics because I love the stories and super-love great cover art. Because I am also aware of investment (potential) value and take pains to protect the books in my possession doesn't make me a "non-collector" or find comics to be any less fun. Jeez.

to the OP:

Feel free to do whatever you want to do. That said:

1. How much will the restoration cost? Get an estimate.

2. How much could you sell the book you currently have for?

Combine those 2 totals and see what kind of book / grade you could purchase.