• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I am looking to get a book restored--any suggestions on who to choose?

45 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, faster friends said:

Not sure your motivation but this is a valuable book. If it does not already have some form of restoration done to it, then I would not get the defects you describe fixed. While it may look a bit nicer restored, it will be worth significantly less money.

Here's your proof from GPA's CGC sales:

FF4 in 3.0 GVG condition sold this month for $1200.

FF4 in 8.0 VF condition, C1 restored (includes: small amount of color touch on cover, tear seal to cover. RIGHT & BOTTOM EDGE TRIMMED) , sold in September for, guess what?

$1200.

Don't mess with it, IMHO.

I'm no expert on restoration, but do you not think that restored VF sold for $1200 because of a couple of the edges being trimmed.  I'm thinking if it was only the color touch and tea seal, it would have went for way more.

11 hours ago, ninanina said:

I'm no expert on restoration, but do you not think that restored VF sold for $1200 because of a couple of the edges being trimmed.  I'm thinking if it was only the color touch and tea seal, it would have went for way more.

While this may be true, there is also the cost of restoring the book. To take a 3.0 to an apparent 8.0 is going to be very expensive.

I see no financial win in restoring the OP’s book.

50 minutes ago, faster friends said:
12 hours ago, ninanina said:

While this may be true, there is also the cost of restoring the book. To take a 3.0 to an apparent 8.0 is going to be very expensive.

I see no financial win in restoring the OP’s book.

And there's no guarantee that it gets up to 8.0 after to resto is done.

Others may suggest more stringent criteria, but my opinion is anything over 2.0 in grade, and under $1500 in value will not make a good restoration candidate. Also, not every candidate that fits my minimum requirement is still a good candidate, every book is different. Exceptions could be tape removal, or conservation.

How about you remove the money equation....what if this book has sentimental value...why is everyone so concerned about value? Why can't I choose to pay to get something restored regardless of whether it makes sense money wise? Yeah...I get it...but what if I WANT a high grade copy of this book regardless of whether I loose money or not? Why are all the comic restorers so focused on value? Why can't I just say..."hey....you want money?  Please restore this book because I use to have this book as a kid and it means something to me emotionally....."  This book also has a small split spine.....I think it would look gorgeous restored...it may not make logical sense money wise...but who cares? I am willing to pay for it.....everyone is so concerned on value and worthiness...what if I don't care? 

Edited by EC Phanatic
more stuff

No offense to those I emailed...but why can't they say...."Hey dude...this book aint worth restoring money wise...but...if you want to pay..I can restore it to the best of my ability,.,,,,"  Instead of 1) ignoring my emails...2) dude...sorry..its not worth it...bye....3) Keep it as it is,....bye.....4) sell it......buy something already restored if you can...I mean really...Value is relative to a person. And yes, it may not meet the current going rate--but isn't that what is so cool about this hobby? We want to relive our past...sometimes money doesn't matter...that 8.0 you had in the early 80's was affordable...now it is not....

If you didn't want to hear opinions, why did you post and ask for opinions ? If this book has sentimental value than leave it alone. It's not the same book you owned in your childhood if you have it restored.  BTW, you are right about everyone answering from a monetary perspective. There are very few collectors anymore. Comics are no longer fun, they are an investment. Sad but true.

Maybe there's someone local who is capable of restoring it? Talk to some local comic shop owners as they might know someone. I'm thinking somewhere along the lines of it probably being less stressful having someone local do it rather than mailing or shipping it out to someone out of town. I live in Winnipeg and know we have a local guy that's very capable and would pick him over anyone out of town. Another advantage is you would be able to see some samples of his work before you decide on whether you will be happy with his/her work.

:wishluck:

Professional comic book restoration services include 

CCS - the in house restoration and pressing service of CGC - https://www.cgccomics.com/ccs-pressing/
Eclipse Paper Conservation - http://www.eclipsepaper.com/services.htm
Hero Restoration - http://www.herorestoration.net/
The Restoration Lab - https://www.therestorationlab.com/

Any of the above will do professional work. My first choice would be Mike at Hero Restoration. In the past he's done great work for me and the cost was a little less. Second probably CCS.  I'm seriously skeptical of a "local guy" idea. The problem being that MOST collectors wouldn't recognize the difference between professional restoration and decent looking amateur. But there are significant differences in materials used and techniques applied between pro and amateur. 

See the above link — I just posted a link to an example of the work of the Restoration Lab on my AF 15.  Susan Cicconi does terrific work and has been doing this a long time.  I have used her more than once. I highly recommend her.

As an aside, I find it funny that you asked whom to use, not whether you should get restoration at all. Yet most people chose to answer the latter question. 

4 hours ago, EC Phanatic said:

...it turns out, this book was once restored....go figure..

But you said this book has sentimental value ? You obviously bought it after it was 'unrestored'.  Usually, the scrapes associated with a CT removal are obvious. The paper below will look fresh, not vintage. Assuming you did not recognize this, you probably paid a premium price for a manipulated book. I would sell the book and buy another copy that is original.