• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Storage in NY garage without Heat or AC
2 2

28 posts in this topic

Hey all - Im thinking of purchasing a new lot of 15 boxes but I have a storage issue at home, so my only choice would be

to store in my garage. Its a good solid garage but has no heat or AC. Temperatures inside will range from 30 degrees in winter to 90+ in summer..

They will probably be there a 6-12 months before I get to them...

Drum roll question - will this damage my comics and to what extent?

I don't think the drastic temperature change is a good thing, but it sounds like 6-12 months is not a very long time, so I will leave that to the experts.   However. humidity can be your real enemy, and would be more of my concern. 

Edited by Mercury Man

6 hours ago, moemaya said:

Hey all - Im thinking of purchasing a new lot of 15 boxes but I have a storage issue at home, so my only choice would be

to store in my garage. Its a good solid garage but has no heat or AC. Temperatures inside will range from 30 degrees in winter to 90+ in summer..

6-12 months of short term storage in a 30 to 90 degree temp range, gradual rise of temp followed by a gradual cooling, or vice-versa = not a problem. Water might be though, in a coastal area. Make sure you store well off the ground/floor, and that your roof is sound.

Also, if the garage is detached, keep any type of food out of the area altogether to assure that varmints don't get in and eat the comics along with the food.

2 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

6-12 months of short term storage in a 30 to 90 degree temp range, gradual rise of temp followed by a gradual cooling, or vice-versa = not a problem. Water might be though, in a coastal area. Make sure you store well off the ground/floor, and that your roof is sound.

Also, if the garage is detached, keep any type of food out of the area altogether to assure that varmints don't get in and eat the comics along with the food.

Yes it would be a gradual change if youre familiar with NY temps..and as I mentioned garage is solid, meaning no leaks or openings whatsoever, I took care of that last year when I actually had squirrels, but nothing since then. Im still on the fence if Im going to purchase this but doing my homework just in case. Additionally I would store them within a tall metal office cabinet like the kind you see in office depot.

3 minutes ago, moemaya said:

Additionally I would store them within a tall metal office cabinet like the kind you see in office depot.

Only 6 to 12 months of storage? The cabinets may be an unnecessary expense if the garage is kept secure (locks on all windows and doors) with shelving and comic boxes, one industrial sized metal unit should do it, 4 shelves high, 4 boxes wide, and a small ladder. You can probably pick up that type of unit on Craigslist for under $100, adequate storage for 5000 comics, much less expensive than file cabinets. Make sure you get a unit with side braces and a back X brace!

Won't take up much room and if and when you're done using it, simply dismantle and place it in a corner until needed again. Sets up and breaks down quickly.

metal-shelving-parts-industrial-metal-shelving-industrial-metal-shelving-parts-industrial-metal-shelving-for-sale-industrial-metal-shelving.jpg

5 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Only 6 to 12 months of storage? The cabinets may be an unnecessary expense if the garage is kept secure (locks on all windows and doors) with shelving and comic boxes, one industrial sized metal unit should do it, 4 shelves high, 4 boxes wide, and a small ladder. You can probably pick up that type of unit on Craigslist for under $100, adequate storage for 5000 comics, much less expensive than file cabinets. Make sure you get a unit with side braces and a back X brace!

Won't take up much room and if and when you're done using it, simply dismantle and place it in a corner until needed again. Sets up and breaks down quickly. 

I have the cabinet sitting there already - its a few years old, had some tools in there which Ive since moved, its basically empty but thanks for the advice.

3 hours ago, moemaya said:

Yes it would be a gradual change if youre familiar with NY temps..and as I mentioned garage is solid, meaning no leaks or openings whatsoever, I took care of that last year when I actually had squirrels, but nothing since then. Im still on the fence if Im going to purchase this but doing my homework just in case. Additionally I would store them within a tall metal office cabinet like the kind you see in office depot.

Downstate is more humid than upstate, you don't say WHERE in NY? I agree with Shadroch, if you are going to put them in a garage I'd put a dehumidifier in there, and a thermometer so you can see if it's getting too hot.

Can you just get big blanket storage boxes at Bed Bath and Beyond and lie them in flat stacks and put them under your bed? It would be safer.

17 minutes ago, Phicks said:

Is this New York City proper, or somewhere else in NY state?  The amount of profanity and attitude in NYC will quickly degrade your books. 

HahaHahaHaha

I live in New York and have moved a few times with collection in tow. For 3 years I had boxes in an attic that had extreme hot/cold swings from season to season. All my books are bagged and boarded and are exactly the same as far as I can tell. Common sense would tell you to not store raw books in that garage during the extreme seasons. I did have a storage unit that was climate controlled( I doubt it really was) and left many longs of raw books and those fared fine as well.

I have comics in the garage. Nothing I care much about, but there have been comics out there for years, boxed, in bags. Frankly, I can't see anything different about them or any damage due to humidity, etc. and I live in NYC. I wouldn't do it for good stuff, but dollar box type books...

21 hours ago, moemaya said:

Your books are doomed. 

21 hours ago, Phicks said:

Is this New York City proper, or somewhere else in NY state?  The amount of profanity and attitude in NYC will quickly degrade your books. 

Brooklyn here with a big f-u to yoos