• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is there a Captain Marvel trade/story that would be appropriate for a kid?

7 posts in this topic

Hey all -

With only a couple of exceptions, I haven't read a Marvel book in several years. My 10 year old niece is now excited about the Captain Marvel movie (or as she calls her, "Marvel Woman") and is interested in the comics. So, I thought I'd pick up a trade for her for Xmas. But I am instantly lost. There are so many Captain Marvel trades marked Volume 1, I have no idea which is which, and the biggest question: are any of them not appropriate for a 10 year old, in both the "age appropriate material" sense as well as the "not bogged down in continuity" sense? She's into the Justice League Unlimited comics and Archies, but that's all she has read. I've done some poking around on Google but am not finding anything very helpful. Thought about posting this in CG, but figured I'd start here. Thanks. TO ME, MY BOARDIES!
""

Edited by F For Fake

My 12 year old daughter recently started reading the Kamala Khan Ms. Marvel series and loves it. I know she's not the one from the movie, but Carol Danvers is the one who inspires Kamala to be a superhero. Since she's a new character, she can jump right into the books with little knowledge of continuity.

7 hours ago, lightninglad said:

My 12 year old daughter recently started reading the Kamala Khan Ms. Marvel series and loves it. I know she's not the one from the movie, but Carol Danvers is the one who inspires Kamala to be a superhero. Since she's a new character, she can jump right into the books with little knowledge of continuity.

Thanks, I was actually giving that some thought, but now I think you've helped me make up my mind. Thanks again!

9 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Thanks, I was actually giving that some thought, but now I think you've helped me make up my mind. Thanks again!

I haven’t read any of the Captain Marvel books either, but I’ll second the Kamala Khan Ms. Marvel as being age appropriate. There’s a lot of similarities between her and the classic portrayal of Peter Parker/Spider-man – geeky kid trying to figure out powers while navigating high school pressure and parents expectations (in Kamala’s case, religion and ethnicity are part of the equation in addition to the typical parent gripes), making super-hero mistakes along the way with local politicians and news media branding her either a hero or menace. Some stories are a tad nonsensical (hey, it’s a comic book!) but overall it’s well done I won’t be surprised if this character shows up in a movie or as a TV show on Disney’s streaming service in a few years.

Edited by Hekla
grammer

1 hour ago, F For Fake said:
9 hours ago, lightninglad said:

Captain Marvel and/or her likeness makes appearances in the Ms Marvel Kamala Khan series at a decent (but not overwhelming) clip. 

I've read most of the Captain Marvel titles, they're all Teen+ I think.  Not especially gratuitous, but I think the Teen+ rating is appropriate, she gets in some violent and brutal fights, people get murdered (mostly aliens) or die, there's some sophomoric jokes (thought I don't think a pre-teen would get them all) by people like Spiderman or Starlord, and she gets it IN on occasion, though its all PG-13 or less, and generally not drawn in a sexy way.    But I also don't know how much 10 year olds are exposed to in general these days.  Are they watching Stranger Things? Game of Thrones?  Politics? Do they watch most of the Marvel movies?  Do they play fortnite? Smash Brothers?

I think to some extent, we as a society still view violence towards women (I don't mean domestic violence, I mean like war or even superhero stuff) and women in violent situations as somewhat more 'mature' or 'extreme' than the same situation for men.  I'm not saying if that's wrong or right, just that it IS.  So that might be a factor. 

P.S.  I would say watching the Knicks is more offensive than anything on HBO at this point.  That is truly some stuff you don't want your teenagers emulating. (yes I get that there are teams with worse records, and yes their best player is out, but MAN.)

So in summary, the Knicks are terrible.

16 hours ago, revat said:

Captain Marvel and/or her likeness makes appearances in the Ms Marvel Kamala Khan series at a decent (but not overwhelming) clip. 

I've read most of the Captain Marvel titles, they're all Teen+ I think.  Not especially gratuitous, but I think the Teen+ rating is appropriate, she gets in some violent and brutal fights, people get murdered (mostly aliens) or die, there's some sophomoric jokes (thought I don't think a pre-teen would get them all) by people like Spiderman or Starlord, and she gets it IN on occasion, though its all PG-13 or less, and generally not drawn in a sexy way.    But I also don't know how much 10 year olds are exposed to in general these days.  Are they watching Stranger Things? Game of Thrones?  Politics? Do they watch most of the Marvel movies?  Do they play fortnite? Smash Brothers?

I think to some extent, we as a society still view violence towards women (I don't mean domestic violence, I mean like war or even superhero stuff) and women in violent situations as somewhat more 'mature' or 'extreme' than the same situation for men.  I'm not saying if that's wrong or right, just that it IS.  So that might be a factor. 

P.S.  I would say watching the Knicks is more offensive than anything on HBO at this point.  That is truly some stuff you don't want your teenagers emulating. (yes I get that there are teams with worse records, and yes their best player is out, but MAN.)

So in summary, the Knicks are terrible.

Ok, keeping my niece away from the Knicks for sure.

Thanks for the clarification on the Captain Marvel book, that is sorta the vibe I got, and I believe that would definitely be a little too much for her right now. She's a sharp kid, but she's also very innocent. She'll be 11 in a couple of months, but while most of her peers are all about clothes and cell phones, she still likes playing with little toys and stuff like that. Great imagination. Still believes in Santa Claus (though I expect this will be the last year we get to enjoy that.) So it sounds like the Ms Marvel books may be more her speed right now, and maybe she can get into Captain Marvel in a couple of years, if she's still interested at all.

Thanks everyone for the input, much appreciated!