• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ultimate Fallout #4: Where Are The Newsstands?
3 3

90 posts in this topic

Anyone else seen the 9.8 Newsstand on ebay? I don’t even collect moderns anymore but given the recent hype (it’s also been in my saved searches for YEARS) I made a ridiculous offer and was politely told they were getting offers for thousands more. People are losing their minds for Directs, Variants, and 2nd Printings but this is the one true king. I’m so intrigued. Obviously 6K (starting bid!?) is bonkers but is it bonkers?  

Edited by chasehasadog82

6 hours ago, chasehasadog82 said:

Anyone else seen the 9.8 Newsstand on ebay? I don’t even collect moderns anymore but given the recent hype (it’s also been in my saved searches for YEARS) I made a ridiculous offer and was politely told they were getting offers for thousands more. People are losing their minds for Directs, Variants, and 2nd Printings but this is the one true king. I’m so intrigued. Obviously 6K (starting bid!?) is bonkers but is it bonkers?  

surprised he got a 9.8... the back four corners don't look sharp

On 6/24/2020 at 6:42 AM, chasehasadog82 said:

Since the direct editions are going for $1,200 and the newsstands are easily 20 or 50 times rarer, a premium of 5x on the $1,200 ($6,000 is five times $1,200) seems like a bargain... if you're in the market for either book and have $6,000.  I'm not.  I'd definitely rather have the one CGC 9.8 newsstand than five copies of CGC 9.8 direct edition.

Imagine if CGC 9.8 Star Wars #1 (1977) were going for $1,200.  How much would the 35-cent variant cost? lol

Edited by valiantman

42 minutes ago, littledoom said:
45 minutes ago, Broke as a Joke said:

Did the newsstand version come polybagged?  

probably not

According to the guy who paid $960 for a raw copy a few weeks ago, he believes it had a bag crease on the back even though he bought it unbagged.

Edited by valiantman

2 hours ago, chasehasadog82 said:

The auction for the 9.8 newsstand just ended at $8,100. WOW

What will the next one sell for now that one of the two suckers bidders has a copy? hm

49 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:
3 hours ago, chasehasadog82 said:

The auction for the 9.8 newsstand just ended at $8,100. WOW

What will the next one sell for now that one of the two suckers bidders has a copy? hm

But, wouldn't this sale awaken the horde of $5,000+ modern comic buyers to the next copy, or is the fact that the content of the book actually matters a turnoff to the big money variant cult?

6 hours ago, Subby1938 said:

People need to realize this character is huge . High prices are being realized for special books that one day years from now will be some kids AF15. Bottom line. Prices will not come down on rarer versions . 

I agree with the bolded statement for sure but can't say we know for sure if "prices will not come down on rarer versions".  As hard as we try, none of us have a comic price prediction magic ball.

True but his use in movies ( live action or animated, gaming ) and comic story arch’s has not even begun. This ball just started rolling imo and I watched an auction last night 9.4 1:25 sold for 3K Canadian . WTF! No shortage of bidders.

i can tell you it’s not kids or teenagers bidding on these books. It’s dealers and deep pockets buying them up

Edited by Subby1938

6 hours ago, Subby1938 said:

i can tell you it’s not kids or teenagers bidding on these books. It’s dealers and deep pockets buying them up

And you don't understand how this is actually a negative?

It’s been a negative since 2008. Comic pricing has bubbled to a point out of reach for new collectors and fans. It’s dealers and flippers killing this hobby. With pressing and repressing and trying to squeeze every last dime out of this . 

I do understand so much so I sold off most of my expensive comics I feel like it’s too risky to keep imaginary money parked in this . At the end of the day only people buying comic collections are same people you bought them from . Dealers and shops . Offering you 60% if your lucky on current market . Then the cycle starts again by selling at full price all over again.Feel like it’s one of oldest triangle schemes ever devised lol.

1 hour ago, Subby1938 said:

It’s been a negative since 2008. Comic pricing has bubbled to a point out of reach for new collectors and fans. It’s dealers and flippers killing this hobby. With pressing and repressing and trying to squeeze every last dime out of this . 

I do understand so much so I sold off most of my expensive comics I feel like it’s too risky to keep imaginary money parked in this . At the end of the day only people buying comic collections are same people you bought them from . Dealers and shops . Offering you 60% if your lucky on current market . Then the cycle starts again by selling at full price all over again.Feel like it’s one of oldest triangle schemes ever devised lol.

hot potato. the guy left with the potato last looses 

On 6/29/2020 at 5:10 PM, littledoom said:

Buy cold potatoes. Resist temptation to buy sizzling hot baked potatoes with butter and sour cream. 

33 minutes ago, Joosh said:
On 6/29/2020 at 4:10 PM, littledoom said:

Buy cold potatoes. Resist temptation to buy sizzling hot baked potatoes with butter and sour cream. 

That's true.  Eat them cold, too.  That heat and butter and sour cream may make you happy, but worthless comics read just as well. hm