• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ultimate Fallout #4: Where Are The Newsstands?
3 3

90 posts in this topic

On 1/23/2023 at 8:07 AM, valiantman said:

CGC 9.2 Ultimate Fallout #4 Newsstand sold for $3,651.  Not much to D'oh! about, since the book was $3.99 when it came out and required no retailer ratio incentive returns/orders/premiums to be purchased, and it's just a CGC 9.2.

Artificial scarcity is the "QVC" of the industry... anyone can make something scarce on purpose, and they'll never stop doing it. Publishers can even make books that are limited to 25, 10, 5, or unique, causing the earlier "big money" variants with a few dozen graded to look almost common... so it's only a matter of time before the comics with a lack of meaningful content are forgotten. First appearance of Miles Morales isn't a lack of content, and this book wasn't printed just to be a ratio incentive. It's an important book during the remnant of the end of an era, not a big name artist wrapping pretty colors around pages no one wants.

Most Valuable Modern Variants is a list of several books where "the pages inside don't matter" and there are dozens already in CGC slabs. That's a dangerous combo. Be sure to keep that topic going so we'll know who else to laugh at.  The NFTs of the comic industry (where the pages don't matter) aren't as safe as you think they are. lol

Just wondering if you realize how absolutely ridiculous this post sounds, on the one hand trying, quite badly I might add, to denigrate what many if not most modern collectors collect (variants) based on a "lack of content" (gee it's almost like collectors haven't highly valued comics based on cover art alone going back to the GA) while simultaneously trying to pump up the imagined ",value" of a book that's based on nothing more than the type of bar code it has on the front cover.  :eyeroll:

FYI, if somebody wanted the first appearance of morales, there's hundreds of copies always readily available and can be had for a few hundred dollars.  No one need spend "thousands" of dollars to get that, if they do it's because they want something that's "rarer", which, along with demand, drives the value of these things, be it based on beautiful cover art by a generational artist, or the first appearance of a movie spec character.  

Muh capitalism. 

-J.

I'm satisfied that I don't have to spend all my time on this board propping up $10,000+ books from the past couple decades which contain nothing special inside. You keep on keepin' on with those variant condos built on sand. The storm's coming.

Edited by valiantman