• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What book do you regret getting slabbed?
2 2

66 posts in this topic

For some reason - I must have been drunk - I got an Alpha-Flight (1st run) #13 slabbed and it came back a 9.0.  No clue what-so-ever why I sent the book in; it must have gotten lost in the shuffle of other books.  But to this day I regret the money spent getting it slabbed for obvious reasons.

So...what 's your true CGC regret?

I made the mistake about 3 to 4 years ago to have pgx slab most of my books (roughly around 100 books), I was being cheap and at that point. I wanted my books asap. Well, over the last couple years I have been breaking out and resubmiting to cgc along with new books.  About 3 months ago I got fed up with looking at 2 labels and broke out final 37 books. And this was about a month before they offered the cross over service lol. My ocd couldn't handle 2 companies anymore.  I had a handful of books that were very overgraded. But most came back the same, a grade less or more. I was original submitter so I knew there would be no surprises on resubmission to cgc. 

Sent in an Amazing Spider-man 50 years ago.  It came back 9.4 restored with trimming and color touch.  At the time, I hated restored books and was quite upset with it being restored.  Sold it and actually made a tiny bit of money on it but Oh man if that book had not come back restored it would still be in my collection.  

2 hours ago, picon3 said:

Early on in my submissions.  I think I was enamored with a pedigree book.  Not sure now, but it was a dud. hm

RADDF19B2016913_93225.jpg

I do the same... if like having the Pedigrees slabbed even though doing so lately has really shaking my faith in the accuracy of CGC Pedigree labels... 

Regardless, *thumbs up* to this one! No regrets! :)

I'm get tired of looking on facebook and see the books that people are getting back.  No wonder TAT's are slow.  Seems most of the flows through voldy, but my god there are bad bad bad books out there.  

Edited by Pirate

2 hours ago, Schmakt said:

I don't know what I missed. Metropolis had this graded as 9.4 when I bought it, and I figured I'd get at least 9.0 as a place-holder until I could upgrade...

"moderate tanning on interior front cover spine stress lines breaks color"

*sad trombone*

7-CGCVF-.thumb.jpg.16e4ac64f3995773e110a13e51eeff35.jpg

You need to get your $2 plus shipping back from Metro

5 minutes ago, Pirate said:

I'm get tired of looking on facebook and see the books that people are getting back.  No wonder TAT's are slow.  Seems most of the flows through voldy, but my god there are bad bad bad books out there.  

I think some collectors who have the CGC bug send anything and everything in, regardless of the worth.  It's absolutely their right to do that but sometimes it's just like, "why did you send that completely random ASM issue in to get slabbed?" and then sell it on eBay for $39.99 plus $15 shipping when that's barely worth what it cost to get slabbed?

Edited by sagekilz

I would say that I regret my very first sub (I believe it was a set of Frank Miller's 300 and a copy of Batman The Man Who Laughs) because I was waaaaay off, but in the end it was a very valuable lesson. I didn't know how much I didn't know about grading at that time. It helped me level up really quickly!

I think my first sub was only 1 book a New mutants #98 came back a 7.0... I'll likely keep that book forever... it only cost $152 purchasing the book and grading, but I only sent in the one at a time doh! so I didn't cut down on costs... I probably could have made a $20-30 profit there for a while, but it was my first ever!!!

2nd sub was a FF #48 and something else pre-1975, so I only sent in 2 books, didn't learn my lesson. lol 

#48 came back 3.5

And I thought, at the time, that was EXPENSIVE!!! 

I haven't got much better to be honest, it's only 15 book modern subs, and 6-8 book pre1975... make hay while the sun shines (thumbsu

Edited by ADAMANTIUM