• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What book do you regret getting slabbed?
2 2

66 posts in this topic

I only have about ten more books I want to slab, so soon it will be a moot point.  The books with back cover stains I kind of regret sending in but they still came back with sufficiently good grades to make it fiscally worthwhile.  I am still waiting to be pleasantly surprised on the upside but it could be a long wait lol.  The books I had slabbed for me with no intention of making a buck I have been most happy with.

Never sending anything in to get slabbed, but there have been several slabbed books that gave me instant buyer's remorse when they arrived.Luckily, I've been able to flip a majority of them and came close to breaking even. But this one, while a great book, is never going to resell for what I paid for it.OTOH, it was less than $70. So it is more of a "I wish I bought this for under $50 " category.

01want4.jpg

On 12/25/2018 at 5:13 PM, Gaard said:

Because of the grades?

No.  Not exactly, anyway.  Mostly because it's all an illusion that people in the market have to share, which creates a differing set of business goals for CGC and its customers, and that doesn't benefit the customers.  Also, I sent mostly low margin comics since most of my more valuable ones were stolen, and my goal of selling them here instead of ebay can't be realized.

ASM 300. Came back a 6.5. I was really bummed so I upgraded by spending $850 to buy a 9.6 on ebay. It doesn't have the same emotional connection since it's not the one I grew up with, and I also feel like I wasted all that money, which I'm currently still paying 19% on my AMEX. 

Edited by SBRobin

This one is by far and away my biggest slabbing regret...although I don't have many. This was early on in my CGC grading experience about a decade ago. I was super pumped to get a Avengers 4 for a nice price on e-Bay and decided to have Stan and Simon sign it...it came back in this sad, sad slab...LESSON LEARNED.

4664387029_fededd5ef2_b.jpg

33 minutes ago, AGGIEZ said:

This one is by far and away my biggest slabbing regret...although I don't have many. This was early on in my CGC grading experience about a decade ago. I was super pumped to get a Avengers 4 for a nice price on e-Bay and decided to have Stan and Simon sign it...it came back in this sad, sad slab...LESSON LEARNED.

4664387029_fededd5ef2_b.jpg

Was that .5 all because of that missing page?

41 minutes ago, AGGIEZ said:

Yep. They may have changed the grading rules over the last decade though.

That stinks! Sorry for you grade loss. The book itself looks amazing for being graded at ".5" (or at least the cover looks pristine for its age). I guess the lesson learned is to check older books for completeness and all pages. For being slabbed and not a book you will be reading (I assume), it is a very decorative piece to own with the two witnessed sigs. Definitely more valuable than the grade gives it credit for. 

On 12/20/2018 at 5:25 PM, sfcityduck said:

I have no regrets about any book I submitted.  

But, I do regret buying a book in a slab that I have not read (and won't unless I pick up a reader because its not been re-printed).  

Same. For some reason, I feel so much more distant to those books than the others I have even though they are equally as nice (if not nicer) and as crucial to my collection.

On 12/22/2018 at 11:33 AM, RockMyAmadeus said:

Anyone who tells you that third party grading as a concept is bad and not to be trusted...? That person is lying to you

I can attest. One of my worst transactions was on e-bay, years ago, where a seller had a decent looking Batman #20 and he stated that he only sold raw because he did not trust slabs, so the point that he would crack all the slabbed books he bought. 

Well turns out that book had a sealed tear. Undisclosed of course. I was able to return it, but the seller never admitted to their mistake. I wonder how many people he scammed with this notion.