• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is the grading accurate?
1 1

55 posts in this topic

I just got my invoice,

Suffice to say ... I'm disappointed.  I bought these books fresh and bagged and boarded them that day.  That day.  

One scored as low as 5.5.  I get it that mint might not be "mint".  But fresh off the boat and 5.5?  Come on.  I was thinking of slabbing my collection, selling the excess.  Now?  Meh.    Tell me I'm wrong, I bought a comic book 30 years ago, put it in a bag and its a 5.5?  I'm not feeling objective ratings, I'm feeling upsell me high graded book that is no better than my book.  

Convince me.  Cause I think this my last CGC submission

3 hours ago, RobZe said:

I just got my invoice,

Suffice to say ... I'm disappointed.  I bought these books fresh and bagged and boarded them that day.  That day.  

One scored as low as 5.5.  I get it that mint might not be "mint".  But fresh off the boat and 5.5?  Come on.  I was thinking of slabbing my collection, selling the excess.  Now?  Meh.    Tell me I'm wrong, I bought a comic book 30 years ago, put it in a bag and its a 5.5?  I'm not feeling objective ratings, I'm feeling upsell me high graded book that is no better than my book.  

What do the grader notes say? 

bend top of back cover
crease full left of back cover
crease right top of front cover breaks color
multiple dent

i didn’t scan before sending and don’t have them back yet, so no pictures at the moment

even the ones that came in high (9.0) seem kinda low.  I had multiple copies, one was carefully read, once, bagged and boarded =5.5 The other was never read.  The nicest copy on the news stand 30+ years ago, never even opened, carefully put in in Mylar and that =9.0 ?

meh

6 hours ago, RobZe said:

I just got my invoice,

I've seen this a lot here.  People expect their books to come back high grade but they just aren't.  Showing the graders notes and pics of the books that were slabbed would help.  You never know, there could've been a mistake but my guess is its the usual overly high expectation.

Edited by comicquant

19 minutes ago, RobZe said:

bend top of back cover
crease full left of back cover
crease right top of front cover breaks color
multiple dent

I have a gorgeous (restored) AF15 that I thought sure would come back at 8.0. It came back at 6.0. Why?

A long crease on the back cover. That's gonna drop the book down to FN at best.

Here's the back of my book, and let me tell you... just LOOKING at the book (not the scan)... it's VERY difficult to see that crease. Scan your books beforehand and you'll get the most accurate view of what the grade will be. IMHO.

AF15B.JPG.7551154d6c55cb7caf14c85cd85b2b77.JPG

Edited by oldrover

How many times have we read this story..?

When I first started, I thought that most comics I buy off-the-shelf would just naturally be a 9.8. Do you know how rare that actually is? They're probably 8.5s-9.2s when you buy 'em. I have no problems with this. When you get an actual 9.8, you begin to realize how much small imperfections can rack up to a lower grade.

My coworker recently gifted me some comics he used for drawing-detail purposes. Bought 'em in 1990, bagged and boarded them, and didn't really stress the books out. There's no way any of them are even 8.0s. They're not beat up but they aren't close to mint.

Nobody's perfect, and that includes CGC, but they have a good reputation and I rarely, very rarely, disagree with grades they've (metaphorically) stamped on their slabs.

Does any one watch Pawn Stars on History Channel?

Sometimes the store owners are just too far away on a price and fundamentally disagree on some basic aspect of the item.  At that point, the owners don't even bother countering or trying to explain.  They just shake hands, thank the customer for coming in, and walk away.  I think that's where we are here. 

CGC isn't for everybody, and there plenty of good people that don't really like CGC and make money dealing in comics without CGC, and there's nothing wrong with that.  But learning to grade accurately and price accurately are integral to successful selling, and it sounds like there's room for improvement there.  And certainly the vast vast vast vast majority of books are not worth getting CGC'd, even by people who like CGC.  So maybe more research into some of those topics are warranted, and good luck!

I think the adage you're looking for is "you take the good with the bad".  I've had books that my two year old daughter could recognize as 9.6-9.8 but ultimately came back 9.0-9.2.  On the flipside I've slabbed books that I was almost certain they'd be low 6's high 7's which turned out 8.6-8.8.  I think trusting the process - the educational work that's dedicated to grading - is the best option.  Win some, lose some but almost always we're not the expert graders, they are.

Edited by sagekilz

51 minutes ago, revat said:

Does any one watch Pawn Stars on History Channel?

Sometimes the store owners are just too far away on a price and fundamentally disagree on some basic aspect of the item.  At that point, the owners don't even bother countering or trying to explain.  They just shake hands, thank the customer for coming in, and walk away.  I think that's where we are here. 

CGC isn't for everybody, and there plenty of good people that don't really like CGC and make money dealing in comics without CGC, and there's nothing wrong with that.  But learning to grade accurately and price accurately are integral to successful selling, and it sounds like there's room for improvement there.  And certainly the vast vast vast vast majority of books are not worth getting CGC'd, even by people who like CGC.  So maybe more research into some of those topics are warranted, and good luck!

:golfclap:

Just now, sagekilz said:

I think the adage you're looking for is "you take the good with the bad".  I've had books that my two year old daughter could recognize as 9.6-9.8 but ultimately came back 9.0-9.2.  On the flipside I've slabbed books that I was almost certain they'd be low 6's high 7's which turned out 8.5-8.7.  I think trusting the process - the educational work that's dedicated to grading - is the best option.  Win some, lose some but almost always we're not the expert graders, they are.

wut

There is a large discrepancy between some comics though. I have had slabbed 9.8 comics that even I wouldn't consider getting that grade and some lower grade comics that should have been higher. I recently purchased a early graded Fantastic Four #45 Stan Lee autographed book CGC 6.5. I believe it should have been graded higher when compared with other CGC 6.5 comics by far! Will CGC regrade that comics fairly I wonder? Does anyone have any experience with that?