• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is the grading accurate?
1 1

55 posts in this topic

On 12/24/2018 at 4:27 PM, Earl Yoshihara said:

Here is my copy of the Fantastic Four#45 The only real defect is the bottom right corner. Otherwise it is a great copy. Let me know what you all think.

IMG_9960.jpg

IMG_9961.jpg

IMG_9962.jpg

IMG_9963.jpg

IMG_9964.jpg

IMG_9965.jpg

Hey Earl. "The only real defect is the bottom right corner"

Not to beat your book up because I really love FF45 and yours is a nice copy with great color but there are a good number of other real defects visible in the your photos.

:small staple tears
:4 or 5 small rips or snags along bottom edge and color loss on bottom left front cover
:looks like a horizontal crease on the Thing's shoulder

That's just what I can see in the photos and there may very well be other defects I can't see.  Get the grader notes, study the book, learn from this book and every book you send in.

On 12/18/2018 at 1:24 AM, RobZe said:

I just got my invoice,

Suffice to say ... I'm disappointed.  I bought these books fresh and bagged and boarded them that day.  That day.  

One scored as low as 5.5.  I get it that mint might not be "mint".  But fresh off the boat and 5.5?  Come on.  I was thinking of slabbing my collection, selling the excess.  Now?  Meh.    Tell me I'm wrong, I bought a comic book 30 years ago, put it in a bag and its a 5.5?  I'm not feeling objective ratings, I'm feeling upsell me high graded book that is no better than my book.  

Convince me.  Cause I think this my last CGC submission

Where is your book?

On 12/26/2018 at 5:28 PM, thehumantorch said:

Hey Earl. "The only real defect is the bottom right corner"

Not to beat your book up because I really love FF45 and yours is a nice copy with great color but there are a good number of other real defects visible in the your photos.

:small staple tears
:4 or 5 small rips or snags along bottom edge and color loss on bottom left front cover
:looks like a horizontal crease on the Thing's shoulder

That's just what I can see in the photos and there may very well be other defects I can't see.  Get the grader notes, study the book, learn from this book and every book you send in.

Not that you can't find 7.5s with a similar amount of defects. There may be other hidden defects that fully justify the 6.5 grade, or it just got graded at the bottom edge of the range. Books have been known to slide around a grade or two on resubmission without any work done, it's not an exact science.   

On 12/29/2018 at 7:31 PM, rjpb said:

Not that you can't find 7.5s with a similar amount of defects. There may be other hidden defects that fully justify the 6.5 grade, or it just got graded at the bottom edge of the range. Books have been known to slide around a grade or two on resubmission without any work done, it's not an exact science.   

Resubmitted the comic and just got the notice that it is getting an upgrade from 6.5 to CGC 7.5!  Will post up the new pictures when I receive the comic!