• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is the grading accurate?
1 1

55 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Earl Yoshihara said:

There is a large discrepancy between some comics though. I have had slabbed 9.8 comics that even I wouldn't consider getting that grade and some lower grade comics that should have been higher. I recently purchased a early graded Fantastic Four #45 Stan Lee autographed book CGC 6.5. I believe it should have been graded higher when compared with other CGC 6.5 comics by far! Will CGC regrade that comics fairly I wonder? Does anyone have any experience with that?

What did the notes say?

On 12/18/2018 at 6:43 AM, RobZe said:

bend top of back cover
crease full left of back cover
crease right top of front cover breaks color
multiple dent

i didn’t scan before sending and don’t have them back yet, so no pictures at the moment

even the ones that came in high (9.0) seem kinda low.  I had multiple copies, one was carefully read, once, bagged and boarded =5.5 The other was never read.  The nicest copy on the news stand 30+ years ago, never even opened, carefully put in in Mylar and that =9.0 ?

meh

Did you see these defects before sending the book in because I guarantee you CGC did not make them up and they do exist?  Grading accurately takes a lot of practice and experience and it takes time to develop the eye for it.  Defects that you couldn't see are suddenly obvious at a glance and you'll wonder how you ever missed them.  And it's very important to develop you grading skills to avoid overpaying for over graded books.

I'm guessing you didn't pay for pressing as bends and dents should press out.

Also be aware that storage often causes damage to comics.  Mint books easily develop bends or ridges from sitting next to other comics in a box, especially if books aren't square to each other in the box.

On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 12:35 PM, Earl Yoshihara said:

There is a large discrepancy between some comics though. I have had slabbed 9.8 comics that even I wouldn't consider getting that grade and some lower grade comics that should have been higher. I recently purchased a early graded Fantastic Four #45 Stan Lee autographed book CGC 6.5. I believe it should have been graded higher when compared with other CGC 6.5 comics by far! Will CGC regrade that comics fairly I wonder? Does anyone have any experience with that?

The first question that comes to my mind is whether your FF #45 is an actual signature series book or if the signature itself was factored into the grade...that certainly would make a difference. 

If your book is a genuine Sig Series book, perhaps it has some handling flaws or other defects that are difficult to see in the holder. For instance, dents and finger bends are tough to see once the book is slabbed. Other flaws such as light stains and small tears can also be difficult to detect. For a small fee, you could acquire the grading notes for your book and see if that sheds any light on the subject.

If you're still convinced CGC made a grading error, you could resubmit the book and have it looked at again. Or you could think about having it pressed if CCS thinks it's worth pressing.

There are always options...you just have to decide if you want to pursue them.   :foryou:   

On 12/22/2018 at 11:35 AM, Earl Yoshihara said:

Yes you grade the whole book. Not just what looks obvious on the cover. Your 6.5 may not look as bad as others but there is probably some detail to the grade that is not seen.

On 12/22/2018 at 9:35 AM, Earl Yoshihara said:

Does it look better than this?

TGe2EIFYSYeZBfp52K1dRw_thumb_72a.jpg.b106e8622e148001c649727feddef9cc.jpg

3 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

Learning all the common defects and how to spot them is key. That will prevent you from owning something like this. No it is not mine its from feebay.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.731b583598849d701608d93d3499ee56.jpg

can't tell anything from that picture.

11 minutes ago, Earl Yoshihara said:

P.S. I did purchase the Grader Notes but as of yet not received them! Must be a holiday delay.

It is VERY nice and I like it.  I don't know if you owned it or bought it or whatever.  I can tell you this, in the future I will be paying strict attention to the staple placement and squareness of books of books I buy.  I would be happy to own your book of the first INHUMANS!

20 hours ago, Ride the Tiger said:

Learning all the common defects and how to spot them is key. That will prevent you from owning something like this. No it is not mine its from feebay.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.731b583598849d701608d93d3499ee56.jpg

20 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

can't tell anything from that picture.

CGC is tough on fuzziness.  

18 hours ago, Earl Yoshihara said:

Here is my copy of the Fantastic Four#45 The only real defect is the bottom right corner. Otherwise it is a great copy. Let me know what you all think.

I see what you mean, nice book. The bottom right crease would push it down to 7.5/8.0 territory but I don't see a 6.5 for that alone. I believe, on the bottom left of the back cover, I see a long diagonal fold/crease. I suspect that's the problem which took it down to 6.5 . 

On 12/18/2018 at 9:00 AM, oldrover said:

I have a gorgeous (restored) AF15 that I thought sure would come back at 8.0. It came back at 6.0. Why?

A long crease on the back cover. That's gonna drop the book down to FN at best.

Here's the back of my book, and let me tell you... just LOOKING at the book (not the scan)... it's VERY difficult to see that crease. Scan your books beforehand and you'll get the most accurate view of what the grade will be. IMHO.

AF15B.JPG.7551154d6c55cb7caf14c85cd85b2b77.JPG

I probably wouldnt have noticed the long crease if you didnt mention it?

did you not notice it at all before sending it in?

or did you just not think it was bad enough to drop it to a 6.0?

those color breaking creases are pretty obvious - if you can't catch that, there's some hard grades ahead

now fingerprints on a white background, that's a whole other thing

and you should look into getting an OttLite - you need something to rake the book with