• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Other Larson Collection -- Got Beverly?
1 1

21 posts in this topic

I traded for these two early Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies recently and the original owner's initialing of the upper right fc and signing, with address, of the inside front cover, struck me. The dealer had two other early Looney Tunes from her -- same thing. All were/are very well-preserved books. Anyone else got any books from the collection of Beverly Larson? I'm curious what else is out there, given the shape of the four I have seen. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I have a "Beverly D".  A whole group of romance books with her name.  Pretty fun to find a big group of books that stayed together over the years.  And now I am obligated to keep them that way!  You better go get the rest of those Looney Tunes!

_love romances 37.JPG

3 minutes ago, Yorick said:

I have a "Beverly D".  A whole group of romance books with her name.  Pretty fun to find a big group of books that stayed together over the years.  And now I am obligated to keep them that way!  You better go get the rest of those Looney Tunes!

_love romances 37.JPG

There's only 1 left with the dealer I know, but I am searching for the others! I am convinced they are out there. Do "Beverly D" books have inside markings as well?

6 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

There's only 1 left with the dealer I know, but I am searching for the others! I am convinced they are out there. Do "Beverly D" books have inside markings as well?

No.  Just the name on the covers.  She may have sold these to another lady collector though (who also kept them together) because there are the "T.R." on several of the other Beverly copies.  Maybe I need to add my initials!!!

1 minute ago, Yorick said:

No.  Just the name on the covers.  She may have sold these to another lady collector though (who also kept them together) because there are the "T.R." on several of the other Beverly copies.  Maybe I need to add my initials!!!

Seems like that might be a thing! I like it.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for these too. We should have our own cable show, "In search of Beverly's Books"!

1 minute ago, Readcomix said:

Seems like that might be a thing! I like it.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for these too. We should have our own cable show, "In search of Beverly's Books"!

The cursive writing is actually pretty close between yours and mine.  Maybe she married the comic-collector/pedigree Larson and then had to write that on her books instead of the "D"?  :banana:

On 12/18/2018 at 8:04 PM, Readcomix said:

I traded for these two early Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies recently and the original owner's initialing of the upper right fc and signing, with address, of the inside front cover, struck me. The dealer had two other early Looney Tunes from her -- same thing. All were/are very well-preserved books. Anyone else got any books from the collection of Beverly Larson? I'm curious what else is out there, given the shape of the four I have seen. 

image.jpeg

(swoon) Those are some really beautiful, early Looney Tunes!! Beverley or not, congratulations of the awesome pick-ups!!  :x

19 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

Thanks Don! I was pretty happy to find them. I just cannot believe there were only four that she saved like this.

The covers are so charmingly rudimentary - not so much in the general cartooning, but the appearance of Bugs and Porky compared to their later incarnations. I always prefer early Bugs to Space Jam Bugs; same for Mickey and Donald. 

Add to that the color gradations and that classic filmstrip title and you've got some very pleasing covers.  :cloud9:

Edited by PopKulture

Here's Beverly in the 1940 census and in her high school yearbook.   She was born in 1931 and married in 1957.  Her dad was a machinist at a carpet mill.

Screen-Shot-2019-01-31-at-2-27-03-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2019-01-31-at-2-38-28-PM.png

Edited by nearmint

5 hours ago, nearmint said:

Sadly, she passed away in 2015...

FA8456-DA-61-B0-4-F63-9707-739343-F21513

@nearmint Thanks for popping these into the thread! I had read her obit before but not the other stuff. Looks like she spent much of her life in the area of NYS just west of the capital region. But her books (if I'm right that there are more than four) could be dispersed anywhere by now. That said, I intend to check with a few "usual suspects" among dealers and collectors in that area. Odds are good one of them took the collection in if there was one. 

The guy I got my three from is primarily a stamp dealer who dabbles in comics because he enjoys them and keeps a personal collection. He could not recall acquiring them, or whether he had more. I went carefully through his other higher-grade funny animals but no "B.L." Cover markings. I checked a few interiors thinking maybe she was inconsistent (which I doubt) but no markings at all. I guess her behavior could have changed as she got older; she was 11 or 12 when she bought these.

:news: Earlier today, I visited the same dealer the LTMM's came from and unearthed another Beverly Larson that I missed: this beauty from Nov. 1940, Ace Comics #44. I had combed his golden age funny animals for her books, but not his other golden age. The "B.L." Jumped out at me as I was flipping through his misc. GA box. Glad I noticed!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

21 hours ago, Readcomix said:

:news: Earlier today, I visited the same dealer the LTMM's came from and unearthed another Beverly Larson that I missed: this beauty from Nov. 1940, Ace Comics #44. I had combed his golden age funny animals for her books, but not his other golden age. The "B.L." Jumped out at me as I was flipping through his misc. GA box. Glad I noticed!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Congrats! You are rebuilding her legacy book by book!