• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cleaning Comics
2 2

237 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

No. I said practice on comics. My only advice was to try. I never said he would be successful. And both brain surgeons and astronauts at one time had no clue what they were doing. Good thing they didn't give up.

I understand. IMO, whether he is successful or not, does not matter. It's what happens to the books. Will they be discarded ? Will they be sold with dislosure ?  Why encourage anyone who asks to start erasing at will.  Does the world need more comic book cleaners ?  

4 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I understand. IMO, whether he is successful or not, does not matter. It's what happens to the books. Will they be discarded ? Will they be sold with dislosure ?  Why encourage anyone who asks to start erasing at will.  Does the world need more comic book cleaners ?  

Do you think that book I cleaned back cover of is a ruined/not desirable now?

1 minute ago, kav said:

Do you think that book I cleaned back cover of is a ruined/not desirable now?

No, I do not think you ruined the book. However, I don't think you improved the book either. It's just not a good example to show someone that is asking for advice. (shrug)  

2 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

No, I do not think you ruined the book. However, I don't think you improved the book either. It's just not a good example to show someone that is asking for advice. (shrug)  

but isnt it much much cleaner and stuff?

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

ASM #11 may be the most difficult ASM book to find in grade. Thanks for the compliment !  

I know I'm just looking at a smallish scan of only the front cover but that 11 looks way nicer than an 8.0. Really pretty copy! 

Just now, kav said:

but isnt it much much cleaner and stuff?

Yes, I think if you confined your cleaning to the white areas, especially in the Back cover spine area (as you mentioned) it would have been better. The mistake was getting too 'greedy' and going for the color areas also. Much like pressing, I think a good cleaning job is when you can't detect it. For me, the yellow cover color loss just stands out, hits me in the face. It's all I can focus on when looking at the book. 

2 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Yes, I think if you confined your cleaning to the white areas, especially in the Back cover spine area (as you mentioned) it would have been better. The mistake was getting too 'greedy' and going for the color areas also. Much like pressing, I think a good cleaning job is when you can't detect it. For me, the yellow cover color loss just stands out, hits me in the face. It's all I can focus on when looking at the book. 

no no no I'm not talking about the superman book with the yellow-thats a different book entirely.  I just mean the other book-front cover was fine just the back cover was grubby-isnt it better after I cleaned it?

2 minutes ago, LordRahl said:

I know I'm just looking at a smallish scan of only the front cover but that 11 looks way nicer than an 8.0. Really pretty copy! 

Thanks, I agree. I got this on the Boards from the David2000 8.0 collection. As a long time Boardie, you may remember his liquidation sale a number of years back. Like this ASM #11, there were many stunning, undergraded books in his collection. I wish I had bought more. I promised him I was buying it as a true collector and would not CPR the book. I have kept my promise. 

5 minutes ago, kav said:

no no no I'm not talking about the superman book with the yellow-thats a different book entirely.  I just mean the other book-front cover was fine just the back cover was grubby-isnt it better after I cleaned it?

Okay, the 2 minute clean job that apparently got lost in the conversation about the Supes book. Yes, it did look better.

1 minute ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Okay, the 2 minute clean job that apparently got lost in the conversation about the Supes book. Yes, it did look better.

That was my thoughts too.  Yes the Supes book was a disaster I didnt know wtf I was doing 6 years ago.

8 hours ago, moemaya said:

I just ordered the putty and a book dirt eraser from amazon..https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0763JSKMY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not the worst $18 Ive ever spent. I only have Bronze and Silver age, will try it on some low grade books and keep you posted.

The soot sponge (dirt eraser) is the most effective and least damaging.  Its made to remove very fine dust/dirt/grime; even from interior pages (but I don't recommend trying it on interiors) so its good for lifting the aforementioned from whites and colors alike.  Be careful with the Absorene.  Never drag it across the surface because it creates a super thin layer that does not come off.  Its best to use on GA/SA books.  BA books forward can be easily damaged.  The worst thing about Absorene is it can grab the cover enough to tear it.  

Edited by comicquant

22 hours ago, kav said:

@moemaya 2 minute clean with white eraser:

1.thumb.jpg.569af4aa79bfeeb984544a4bc9e35da0.jpg

1.thumb.jpg.eeab594e90da06337343db005b1976c0.jpg

@joeypost can you explain to people why this cleaning is a bad idea/what about the book has been damaged or whatever- I think it would be good info for people tempted to do it yourself.  This is not the superman book we all know that was a bad idea.  Just this particular cleaning of back cover only if you could give your professional thoughts.

45 minutes ago, joeypost said:

i would prefer not to, but a lot is apparent just in the scan. While it is true there is less dirt, that doesn’t always equate to a higher grade as faulty techniques can add other issues. 

can you PM me?  I'm trying to address someone emailed me claiming pros just dont want people cleaning their own books for financial reasons.

Ps as I said loss of gloss wasnt an issue with this book.

Edited by kav