Pictures of Highest Graded Comics?
1 1

65 posts in this topic

483 posts
20 minutes ago, namisgr said:

How much is it worth to you? 

Jesus, I'm not understanding the hate here...

I've made clear many times I'm new to this and truly may the least experience comic collector EVER...

If you could just try to understand, Hell  I just found out 3 days ago I could look up comics in CGC's Consensus and find out what the highest grades are, I know this is normal to you guys but its completely new and amazing to me.

I've been a collector for 12 years now, I never talked to a single person about comics other than My dad and grandfather, whom are now both gone.....

I understand my questions may seem odd to you guys, but I'm in no way trying to be mean or troll...

If I'm really bothering you guys, tell me and I wont post anymore...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
483 posts
3 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Let me make this really easy for you:

Pictures of the highest graded Action 1s (9.0) are readily available.  No one has a picture of the best Action 1 (the Mile High copy).

Pictures of the best Marvel Comics 1 (Allentown) and CA 1 (Allentown) are readily available.

I believe that pictures of the highest graded Superman 1 are available, but no one has a picture of the best Superman 1 (same owner as the Mile High Action 1).

I don't think there are pictures of the best Detective 27 (Allentown) (same owner as the Mile High Action 1).  

I do think there are pictures of the highest graded Batman 1.  

I also think there are pictures of the highest graded All Star 3 and 8, Sensation 1, and Wonder Woman 1.  

That pretty much takes care of the biggest books in the hobby (Silver Age books are more plentiful and not as big, and it is likely that more high grade copies are yet to emerge).

Here's a helpful list (and site):

https://itsalljustcomics.com/100000-club/

 

Happy hunting!

 

thank you so much...

I do have a question though...

I was reading yesterday about the Edgar Church/Mile High collection and read what you said about how the owner of the action comics #1 wont take pictures or even have it graded...

and I then read more and found out there are collectors out there that REFUSE to have their comics graded and I was just wondering if you knew if this is common or why certain collectors wont have their comics graded?

do they feel theres a chance even grading them could damage the books ? do they not even want them to ever be touched?

and has the owner of the Edgar Church/Mile High  Action comics #1 ever gave a reason why he wont take pictures of it or have it graded?

thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28,170 posts
36 minutes ago, billbrown7080 said:

Jesus, I'm not understanding the hate here...

I've made clear many times I'm new to this and truly may the least experience comic collector EVER...

If you could just try to understand, Hell  I just found out 3 days ago I could look up comics in CGC's Consensus and find out what the highest grades are, I know this is normal to you guys but its completely new and amazing to me.

I've been a collector for 12 years now, I never talked to a single person about comics other than My dad and grandfather, whom are now both gone.....

I understand my questions may seem odd to you guys, but I'm in no way trying to be mean or troll...

If I'm really bothering you guys, tell me and I wont post anymore...

Relax Bill, he's just teasing you, consider it a bit of new guy hazing.  

And this thread has led to some interesting discussion so glad you started.  And please keep posting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,133 posts
27 minutes ago, billbrown7080 said:

thank you so much...

I do have a question though...

I was reading yesterday about the Edgar Church/Mile High collection and read what you said about how the owner of the action comics #1 wont take pictures or even have it graded...

and I then read more and found out there are collectors out there that REFUSE to have their comics graded and I was just wondering if you knew if this is common or why certain collectors wont have their comics graded?

do they feel theres a chance even grading them could damage the books ? do they not even want them to ever be touched?

and has the owner of the Edgar Church/Mile High  Action comics #1 ever gave a reason why he wont take pictures of it or have it graded?

thanks

Some things that seem so inextricably tied to comic collecting these days - third party grading, eBay, the Internet - are relatively recent phenomena.  Some people just don’t care about them.  Some are just as happy enjoying their hobby in private, and staying anonymous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28,170 posts
32 minutes ago, billbrown7080 said:

thank you so much...

I do have a question though...

I was reading yesterday about the Edgar Church/Mile High collection and read what you said about how the owner of the action comics #1 wont take pictures or even have it graded...

and I then read more and found out there are collectors out there that REFUSE to have their comics graded and I was just wondering if you knew if this is common or why certain collectors wont have their comics graded?

do they feel theres a chance even grading them could damage the books ? do they not even want them to ever be touched?

and has the owner of the Edgar Church/Mile High  Action comics #1 ever gave a reason why he wont take pictures of it or have it graded?

thanks

There's always a concern about getting books graded.  There's risk shipping all the way to Florida, having strangers handle your book, and then shipping it back.  Anything can happen.  We recently sent a box of books to get graded and the approximate value was $20k.  It would have cost a fortune to insure that package for it's value so we went without any additional insurance.

Also, there are guys out there who don't want graded books, or prefer to look at the interior of their actual books, or don't grade books unless they're selling, or don't trust grading companies or possibly don't even know there are grading companies.

I know that in the original art community some collectors feel their pages will have more value when the time comes to sell if nobody has seen them.  Buyers might pay more because they didn't know the page existed or the impact of the page coming to market is stronger if it's unknown.  I think it's likely there are some comic collectors with similar beliefs.  

.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25,266 posts
8 hours ago, billbrown7080 said:

dear lord

do you think it would have been a 9.8 if there "M" wsnt written on the cover?

also is this the highest graded Cap 1?

Hello. The Allentown no longer resides in a 9.6 holder but instead resides in a CGC 9.8 holder and yes it is the single highest graded Captain America Comics #1 issue.

Edited by Gotham Kid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25,266 posts
17 hours ago, namisgr said:
On 12/19/2018 at 9:43 PM, billbrown7080 said:

Ok so I'm new to this...

I just started looking through Heritages Archives....

and what I'm wondering is, Is there A site out there that Has Pictures of The Highest Graded KNOWN Key issuies ?

I Would Love to see Pictures the "The 1" (9.9)Hulk 181

or "The 2" (9.8)Amazing Spider-Man #1

The ASM #1 in cgc 9.8 has been the subject of past discussion here on the boards.  It was in the hands of a private collector and may still be there, hence no pictures are available.

closest you'll get

http://scoop.previewsworld.com/home/4/1/73/1019?articleid=41324

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,966 posts
9 hours ago, kav said:

Off topic but have you ever watched a teenager try to google something?  Hilarious.  Like if they were looking for highest graded Cap #1 it would go something like this:
"Where can I find out what is the captain america comic that has the grade that is the highest.  The first issue of that comic."

I remember, when Google was getting 'big', and I was in 3rd grade. We were taught how to 'accurately' use the Search tool. Most people don't know how to use parentheses and plus-signs to refine their searches. Also, as you say, current youths have no idea to communicate to a search engine (among other things/people).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
147 posts

“CGC's Consensus”:news:

There is a registry on CGC with pictures where you can find some cool stuff.  

 

 

Edited by dfx1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,226 posts
16 hours ago, billbrown7080 said:

 

I was reading yesterday about the Edgar Church/Mile High collection and read what you said about how the owner of the action comics #1 wont take pictures or even have it graded...

and I then read more and found out there are collectors out there that REFUSE to have their comics graded and I was just wondering if you knew if this is common or why certain collectors wont have their comics graded?

 

There is no need to submit a comic to CGC unless you want to sell it.  You have to pay a lot of money for grading, and there is the hassle and worry about getting it there and back.  Plus, you can't read the comic if it is entombed and turned into a baseball card or coin.  And, as noted above, there is a school of thought that if you want max value for a comic, don't grade it until right before you put it up for auction.

Furthermore, many "old school" collectors who started in the 60s and 70s want to keep their collections private.  The owner of the MH Action 1 and Allentown D 27 is one of those.  He also has the best All Star 3 and Superman 1.  There are no pictures.  Don't hold your breath on those books being graded or photographed until he wants to sell them (and since his son is an active comic collector and dealer, it may never happen).  

Comics I personally know to exist which have not yet been graded but may likely top the Census include an Archie 1 and Reform School Girl.  Many other examples exist.  Many may pop out in the coming years as some of these "old school" collectors start liquidating their collections.  A great example of this is the emergence of three high grade Suspense 1s recently.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
483 posts
1 hour ago, sfcityduck said:

There is no need to submit a comic to CGC unless you want to sell it. 

 

Do you think they might also be afraid the comic wont grade as highly as they want?

right now the man who owns the MH Action #1is basically universally recognized as having the greatest comic book of earth as its reported to be a 9.2.

But if he did get it grade and it came back 9.0 or less, It would drastically reduce the value and he would no know longer be recognized as having the greatest book on earth...

it seems this is the rare case, where NOT Grading/Slabbing a book actually adds more value to it.

with the reputation that comic has, If he ever put it up for sale, I bet everyone would bid on it like its a Universal 9.2...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
97,163 posts
21 hours ago, billbrown7080 said:

Jesus, I'm not understanding the hate here...

I've made clear many times I'm new to this and truly may the least experience comic collector EVER...

If you could just try to understand, Hell  I just found out 3 days ago I could look up comics in CGC's Consensus and find out what the highest grades are, I know this is normal to you guys but its completely new and amazing to me.

I've been a collector for 12 years now, I never talked to a single person about comics other than My dad and grandfather, whom are now both gone.....

I understand my questions may seem odd to you guys, but I'm in no way trying to be mean or troll...

If I'm really bothering you guys, tell me and I wont post anymore...

It's just internet humor and people are having fun.

None of it is meant to be malicious.

And the more obvious the answer to someone's question the bigger the hazing.

Anyhow, no harm meant by anyone in this thread that I can see (including my replies).

When I joined here 14 years ago I needed to grow a thicker skin quickly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
483 posts
14 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

It's just internet humor and people are having fun.

None of it is meant to be malicious.

And the more obvious the answer to someone's question the bigger the hazing.

Anyhow, no harm meant by anyone in this thread that I can see (including my replies).

When I joined here 14 years ago I needed to grow a thicker skin quickly.

thanks

I got a odd question...

above my profile picture whenever I reply...it says " Collector is an understatement. " as my boards title....

can that be changed? I dont remember putting that,  i've looked and looked and cant figure out how to change it...other people's dont say that...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
97,163 posts
1 minute ago, billbrown7080 said:

above my profile picture whenever I reply...it says " Collector is an understatement. " as my boards title....

can that be changed? I dont remember putting that,  i've looked and looked and cant figure out how to change it...other people's dont say that...

Look at mine. You are at the mercy of the site. Only the moderators can change it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25,266 posts
12 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

How about pics of hot chicks on a bike instead?

 

IMG_1956.JPG

:takeit: Wrap her up !

Edited by Gotham Kid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,341 posts
14 hours ago, Aliens said:

i am rather fond of these i must say... :cloud9:

 

lf.jpg

steve-ditko-the-amazing-spider-man-3-(marvel,-1963)-cgc-nm+-9.6-off-white-to-white-pages.jpg

Psssshhhhhh 9.8 or bust! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,226 posts
7 hours ago, billbrown7080 said:

Do you think they might also be afraid the comic wont grade as highly as they want?

 

 

 

No.  The very few lucky people to have seen the book confirm it's status, these include Fishler, Borock, and Rozanski.  The only book which might challenge the MH Action 1 for top book is the Allentown D 27 - which he also owns.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
483 posts
33 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

No.  The very few lucky people to have seen the book confirm it's status, these include Fishler, Borock, and Rozanski.  The only book which might challenge the MH Action 1 for top book is the Allentown D 27 - which he also owns.  

what grade is the D 27 reported to be?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1