• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

San Diego Comic Con - Kirby & Royer
1 1

12 posts in this topic

Hello all,

Have been meaning to get around to posting this on the boards.  So, here goes...

This is the SD CC 1972 program that is in seemingly unread [relatively] condition - except, of course, to obtain the sigs of Jack Kirby and Mike Royer.  I have carefully opened it, only for the 3rd time since I've had it, to take pics of the pages and the sigs. 

I have only the seller's word that these sigs are the real thing, so putting that out there.  Kirby was part of a panel during the event, but I'm not certain about Royer's involvement.

If anyone has some back history of this Con, would like to hear about it.

Thx!

DSCF2992.JPG

DSCF2993.JPG

DSCF2994.JPG

DSCF2995.JPG

DSCF2996.JPG

Very cool!  But would Kirby have used a fat, felt-tipped marker to sign something back in 1972?  Seems like most, if not all, signatures I see from that era are either in ballpoint pen or a fine-tipped "Bic"-type marker.

You might want to post it here if you haven't already:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/48-the-signature-room/

Edited by jools&jim

Interesting point.  I had considered the same.  The felt tip pen was invented mid 60s tho, and my thought was it could have been available at this convention where artists might have used them for drawing, etc.  Things other than signing specifically.  Could have been used as it was what the fan had on them at the time, or perhaps it was just readily available at a table.hm

Good tip on the sig forum.  I'll try that one too.(thumbsu

There is always a point to counterfeiting: it's variously called "money" or "profit".  :smile:  :foryou:

That said, the signature could certainly be authentic.  I have no idea.  All I'm saying is that, for the era during which it was supposedly signed, a fat-tipped marker sig is at least somewhat atypical, and so seeking out additional opinions from our resident experts in such things is probably not a bad idea.

Edited by jools&jim

1 hour ago, jools&jim said:

There is always a point to counterfeiting: it's variously called "money" or "profit".  :smile:  :foryou:

Yes, that unfortunately goes without saying. I was just looking at the signatures as I am a graphic designer and quite skilled visually to detect autenticity, and the felt-tip marker does not seem strange to me, as maybe they were just doing artwork on larger surfaces (Royer's signature is in a thinner style).

20 hours ago, FoomMember said:

My thoughts exactly.  :headbang:  Seems to me to be an 'of the moment' type sig and who, in their right mind, would ask Jack to use a 'smaller point' pen iff'en you were there, getting the great man's autograph.

Yes, yes, and yes.
It would have been good if he signed with a fork on a piece of wood for me, regardless!

All might be as you say, and I sincerely hope it is!

Still, due diligence calls, especially if the item is at some point offered for sale here or elsewhere.

To my untrained eyes at least, there is enough variance between the 1991 autograph and the presumed early '70s sig, irrespective of the choice of pen, to raise at least a minor red flag.

Once again, I strongly urge the OP to check with our resident experts in the Signature forum:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/48-the-signature-room/ 

Edited by jools&jim