• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Atomic Age Extravaganza - PCH, LB Cole Larson, Spokane etc.
3 3

21 posts in this topic

First   :takeit: in the thread or PM gets the book.
No reserving or taking until after I post the scan and price of a comic.
Enticing offers will be accepted.  
An offer to the seller does not put a book on hold and I don't usually respond to offers while I'm posting in the thread.  If someone else takes it at the stated price or makes a better offer before the first offer is accepted then the seller is free to accept the second offer.

Shipping
USA:  USPS Priority Mail insured $18 for one slabbed book and $10 for one raw book.  Save on shipping by purchasing more than one.
International:  I will estimate shipping based on USPS international rates.  Note that some countries' shipping accords will prevent books from being shipped insured.

Payment
Check or money order is okay but check must clear before shipping.
Paypal is okay for purchases of less than $1k.
Time payments will be considered.

Limitations
No Probies, Shamers or Bronies.

Returns are allowed on all books but notify me within 72 hours of receipt of your intent to return and ship books back within 1 week of receipt.  Buyer pays for return shipping and books must be in same condition as they were received.

Thanks for looking!

Edited by adamstrange

Tales of Horror #6, River City.  For the those who love "girl in test tube" horror covers, and, to be honest, who doesn't, this is the book for you.  It is very difficult to find a copy of this issue, much less one with pretty colors and pages that you would expect of a River City copy.

Census: Highest is 6.5.  This 7.0 with ow/w pages is only $2000.

TalesHorror6rc.jpg

TalesHorror6rc bk.jpg

Adventures Into the Unknown 9 Northford.  These early ACGs from the first continuing horror title are actually pretty good reading with their 52 pages of original horror stories.  The cover is by Edvard Moritz whose career as cover artist was brief and, so far as I can tell, restricted to AGC.  That's sad as I quite like his work.  This dramatic scene grows more appealing the longer I look at it.

Census:  One in 9.6 and then two in  8.5.  This raw copy is a 9.0 due to tanning at the edges.  Cover inks are nicely reflective as would be expected of a North.  Yours for $900.

Note:  There was a thread near the 10cent bubble, that is not a spine stress.  The spine is superb.

AdvIntoUnk9nford.jpg

AdvIntoUnk9nfordbk.jpg

Shocking Mystery #55 Spokane Copy.  The most shocking aspect of this copy is how spectacularly red it looks when viewed out of the mylar.  Interior pages are fresh as snow and the defects are of a type to not interfere with the appeal of this comic.  I'm probably asking a record price for this comic but I doubt there is any copy that will ever glow like this one.

Census:  One in 8.5 and one in 6.5.  This raw 8.5 copy with white pages is $2500.

ShockMys55spk.jpg

ShockMys55spkbk.jpg

Ship Ahoy #1, Vancouver.  LB Cole provided this WWII battleship cover scene and it certainly looks very bright and pretty in this Vancouver copy, known for the superior preservation of cover colors and interior pages.  The back cover and interior match the patriotic front cover and feature the American military on land, sea and in the air.  

Census: Sole second highest.  This de-slabbed cgc9.2 with ow/w pages is only $900.

CGC Label will be shipped with the comic.

ShipAhoynew.jpg

ShipAhoybcnew.jpg

Black Magic 5 Spokane Copy:   Simon & Kirby started the romance boom but as that subsided they created Black Magic to hop on the pre-code horror trend. 

Census:  2 in 7.5  The front cover looks brand new off the newsstand but there is a tiny, tiny chip out LL bk cover (1/8" x 1/16") so it is NM-  with whitey white pages for $1000.

BlackMagic5.jpg

BlackMagic5bk.jpg

*** SOLD ***

Mystery in Space 25: This post-apocalyptic cover is by the great Murphy Anderson.  Julie Schwartz, who edited the title, always decided on the cover image and had it drawn before he worked with the writer on the story so you have a chance to compare what kind of tale you would improvise just like he had to.  Murphy also drew the cover story in an issue that features DC stalwarts Gil Kane and Carmine Infantino. 

Census:  1 in 8.5, 2 in 7.5.  This is a really nice copy from a very difficult time period but it has a very faint water line from a droplet on the back cover.  I'm going to call it an 8.5 which should be similar to what CGC would do but it does seem a bit harsh to me.  Raw copy with ow/w pages for $550.

MIS25new.jpg

MIS28newbk.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

8 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

Mystery in Space 25: This post-apocalyptic cover is by the great Murphy Anderson.  Julie Schwartz, who edited the title, always decided on the cover image and had it drawn before he worked with the writer on the story so you have a chance to compare what kind of tale you would improvise just like he had to.  Murphy also drew the cover story in an issue that features DC stalwarts Gil Kane and Carmine Infantino. 

Census:  1 in 8.5, 2 in 7.5.  This is a really nice copy from a very difficult time period but it has a very faint water line from a droplet on the back cover.  I'm going to call it an 8.5 which should be similar to what CGC would do but it does seem a bit harsh to me.  Raw copy with ow/w pages for $550.

MIS25new.jpg

MIS28newbk.jpg

I'll take it

9 minutes ago, Foolkiller said:

I'll take it

Thanks!  MIS 25

I am done for this evening.  It's possible I will post a couple books tomorrow.

Edited by adamstrange

Jimmy Wakely 10.  One of the highlights of my time collecting comics was an extended dinner with Julie Schwartz and friends.  At some point the conversation drifted to the most challenging assignment he had and he said it was this title.  Whitney Ellsworth went to Hollywood to line up licenses and came back with this singing cowboy "that was sure to be a star."  Ever a trooper, Julie took it and deployed his ace artist Alex Toth.  It took me a while to post this because I had to read it again as Toth drew 3 stories (27 pages total).

When I originally purchased the book the dealer asked if it was a pedigree because it was so nice.  However, the pencil "c" distributor mark with that particular shape is not associated with any known pedigree. 

Census: Two copies, one in 8.5 and one in 8.0.  The colors are lovely and the pages are ow/w and this raw 9.2 is $250.

JimmyWakely10.jpg.10adf54290a2de2fa29764

JimmyWakely10bk.jpg.033a348118005a950d12

*** SOLD ***

Parole Breakers #2 Aurora Copy. Yes, the Veronica Lake look-alike on this painted cover is awfully pretty, but that gun in her right hand says she has a serious side.  Well, my Mama always said you can get more with a kind word and a loaded .22 than with just a kind word alone.

Census:  sole highest.  CGC 9.0 ow/w for $2000.

ParoleBreakers2.jpg.d5bad6f35d0c54a94176

ParoleBreakers2bk.jpg.0bd948185a55732e70

Edited by adamstrange

That will be all for this sales thread.

Thanks for looking!

1 hour ago, adamstrange said:

Parole Breakers #2 Aurora Copy. Yes, the Veronica Lake look-alike on this painted cover is awfully pretty, but that gun in her right hand says she has a serious side.  Well, my Mama always said you can get more with a kind word and a loaded .22 than with just a kind word alone.

Grease pencil is in the perfect spot on this one.

Ken

1 hour ago, Inaflash said:

Perfect color as well for the yellow background.

9 hours ago, Inaflash said:
11 hours ago, adamstrange said:

Ken

This is the one I would want if funds permitted..... what a neat book … someone should take advantage of Alan's moment of weakness.... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu