• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fan Expo Canada, August 22-25, 2019
2 2

192 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Krishosein said:

awesome time to crack out my Spawn 1 and get it CGC SS 

I thought Todd was one of the anti-CGC artists?

Maybe a special event ticket will be available for this amazing guest?

1 hour ago, ignimbrite said:

I thought Todd was one of the anti-CGC artists?

Maybe a special event ticket will be available for this amazing guest?

Not to sure but he must of changed his stance then as I see a few CGC SS books on the Bay and I remember one LCS doing a private signing with him and they are a CGC authorised dealer.

21 minutes ago, Kevin Boyd said:

Todd isn't anti-CGC at all, he just prefers to do the graded book signings back at home in his office using a facilitator.

Yes as Kevin mentioned, Todd does private signings once or twice a year. I believe Celestial Comics is the store that handles it, and a bunch of facilitators are involved. At cons, he just does unwitnessed signings, I think only one item per person. I'm sure there'll be a huge line-up for his public signings - Kevin, I'm guessing that's all he'll have right (the public signings), no ticketed event for a guaranteed (unwitnessed) sig?

I need to sort out all of the logistical stuff for his signings, when and where and what with his team and show management --- but I'm under the assumption that he'll just be doing public signings (whether these are ticketed or not is tbd) and some programming. 

So I am guessing he won't do CGC SS witness signings there. Well I'll keep hope that maybe Fan Expo can work something out and do a ticketed event for some CGC SS 

2 hours ago, ignimbrite said:

I am not sure which I check more often, the Fan Expo website waiting for special event tickets or ESPN waiting for Khawi!

both equally lol 

The Jim Lee experience was just announced, which is great, will the others be announced soon? I ask because it would be nice to pick from all of those available instead of missing out on one because it sold out while waiting for something else.

Yes, of course they'll be announced. They started work on the marketing announcements this week so I'd expect to see them in 1-2 weeks..

Edited by Kevin Boyd

The Ultimate Jim Lee Experience is coming to FAN EXPO Canada! Don’t miss out on exclusive autograph sessions with the legendary artist, a signed Limited Edition oversized lithograph and Jim Lee live on stage.

https://www.fanexpocanada.com/en/buy-tickets/special-events/jim-lee-experience-packages.html

ON SALE NOW

The Jim Lee Experience $129 - 3 signatures, selfie, lithograph

The Jim Lee Graded Comics Experience $189 - 3 witnessed signatures, selfie, lithograph (does not including grading and shipping fees)

1551122423883.png

17 minutes ago, Kevin Boyd said:

The Ultimate Jim Lee Experience is coming to FAN EXPO Canada! Don’t miss out on exclusive autograph sessions with the legendary artist, a signed Limited Edition oversized lithograph and Jim Lee live on stage.

https://www.fanexpocanada.com/en/buy-tickets/special-events/jim-lee-experience-packages.html

ON SALE NOW

The Jim Lee Experience $129 - 3 signatures, selfie, lithograph

The Jim Lee Graded Comics Experience $189 - 3 witnessed signatures, selfie, lithograph (does not including grading and shipping fees)

1551122423883.png

question about The Jim Lee Graded comics experience just to make sure I understand it correctly you can get 3 comics CGC SS signed (excluding grading and shipping fees) and he will sign the Lithograph as well so you get 4 signatures 3 of your choice and 1 on the Lithograph?

Kevin this is a question to you. 

Don't see this as a complaint, I am just curious as to why things are the way they are. This year the special event tickets are out quite a bit later than usual and not at once. As a consumer this is difficult as we are not sure the details and/or costs of what is coming. This makes decisions difficult as it becomes difficult to make a decision on Jim Lee without knowing the other options.

Is there a reason why the tickets are announced at different times? Even something like the GO Train combo ticket came out after many of us already bought tickets.

22 minutes ago, ignimbrite said:

Don't see this as a complaint, I am just curious as to why things are the way they are. This year the special event tickets are out quite a bit later than usual and not at once. As a consumer this is difficult as we are not sure the details and/or costs of what is coming. This makes decisions difficult as it becomes difficult to make a decision on Jim Lee without knowing the other options.

Is there a reason why the tickets are announced at different times? Even something like the GO Train combo ticket came out after many of us already bought tickets.

yeah I liked that Go train ticket combo thing as I always take the GO down to FanExpo but already bought my premium pass but I don't know if that ticket combo would of worked with the Premium pass. Maybe something for the future. 

Sometimes some deals are not ready before others, sometimes things happen later than planned, especially when the special events and opportunities are in conjunction or in partnership with something else that relies on their approval process. They may be ready, we may not be. We may be ready, they may not be. It gels and we get it out there as soon as possible.

I can't offer any insight on things like the GO combo because I had no idea it was a thing until it was announced. Next time I go in I can ask about it, but I'm also bound by confidentiality agreements and can't discuss behind the scenes stuff unless they tell me to. 

Finally, I'm sure I've mentioned the other things that are coming: Batman 80 Event, Venom Event, and there's a Tim Sale sketch package. All of those things rely on everything being received, pricing approved, announcement and website stuff prepared by marketing, coordinated with the ticketing department and everything approved by management. They are being worked on and as soon as they can be signed off on they will be announced officially and go on sale. Jim Lee was first done, and management wanted it out and on sale. We all want them to do well and that means getting them out there, but it's not a simple process with so many people involved on various ends.

Edited by Kevin Boyd

1 hour ago, ignimbrite said:

I’m really glad I’m not the only one that’s been thinking this. 43 days till the show and the first comic special ticket was announced yesterday. Previous years they’ve been announced 2-3 months in advance. Plus a third wave of comic creators that hasn’t even been announced yet. This makes it extremely difficult to plan and organize what books to get signed and by who, especially if you have to acquire said books before the show. Some artists commission lists for this show have already been filled. 

I can’t help but feel like they really dropped the ball this year. I’m also curious as to why they moved the dates to an earlier weekend that conflicts with 2 other cons in the US. Considering CGC is doing on-site grading at Keystone I’m seriously doubting they’ll be attending this show, which means those of us who want witnessed signatures will have to use facilitators. 

Todd MacFarlane coming to celebrate Spawn 300 is huge, too bad the book comes out 3 days AFTER the convention has ended. Same with the release of Marvel Comics #1000, 3 days AFTER the convention ends. I know the organizers couldn’t really have anticipated this, but these are still missed opportunities. 

I’m sort of dreading the thought of just how much time I’m going to have to waste this year waiting for artists to arrive for they’re signings. Last time Jim Lee was in attendance he was 2.5 hours late for his public signing. Same with Greg Capullo, always late for his signings. And the staff never have any info as to when they’re going to show up.

1 hour ago, KIL0Graham said:

I’m really glad I’m not the only one that’s been thinking this. 43 days till the show and the first comic special ticket was announced yesterday. Previous years they’ve been announced 2-3 months in advance. Plus a third wave of comic creators that hasn’t even been announced yet. This makes it extremely difficult to plan and organize what books to get signed and by who, especially if you have to acquire said books before the show. Some artists commission lists for this show have already been filled. 

I can’t help but feel like they really dropped the ball this year. I’m also curious as to why they moved the dates to an earlier weekend that conflicts with 2 other cons in the US. Considering CGC is doing on-site grading at Keystone I’m seriously doubting they’ll be attending this show, which means those of us who want witnessed signatures will have to use facilitators

Todd MacFarlane coming to celebrate Spawn 300 is huge, too bad the book comes out 3 days AFTER the convention has ended. Same with the release of Marvel Comics #1000, 3 days AFTER the convention ends. I know the organizers couldn’t really have anticipated this, but these are still missed opportunities. 

I’m sort of dreading the thought of just how much time I’m going to have to waste this year waiting for artists to arrive for they’re signings. Last time Jim Lee was in attendance he was 2.5 hours late for his public signing. Same with Greg Capullo, always late for his signings. And the staff never have any info as to when they’re going to show up.

I've been wondering this exact same thing as I am guessing CGC will not be at the show and will have to use a facilitator, but I was planning on submitting my own books and was going to do a large batch as I signed up for the membership and to get that credit I would have to submit it under my own account. Do facilitators allow you to use your own account for am I stuck using their accounts for submitting books. But also I love running around getting my own signatures and submitting them, myself kind of fun that way. 

1. CGC has said they aren't coming. So the Sig Series stuff will all be handled by facilitators. Comic Sketch Art, Gotham Central, Agent of SLAB and others. Agent of SLAB is selected by Jim as the facilitator for his special graded comics event.

If you aren't happy CGC isn't at the show, tell CGC directly - call them or email them. Ask them what your options are. We talked to them about booking and they chose not to for reasons like staffing, and they are contractually obligated to do ReedPop events - onsite requires lots of staff. I have many friends who work at CGC, I used to work for them years ago as the first SS Director. There's no hard feelings, they made a choice and lots of facilitators at FXC will mean the books will still come to th\em. 

2. Have you looked at the comics guest list? Next week we are announcing the last wave which gives you five weeks to prepare for those final 19 people of a guest list with something like 140 names on it. Its not as good as telling you three months or six months, and sure, I'd love to announce guests earlier but there's an announcement process and we're one aspect of the event of which there are many others all vying for attention and announcements.

https://www.fanexpocanada.com/en/guests/comic-creators.html

3. People have been asking us to move back to the last weekend of August which was our traditional weekend, they've been complaining ever since we moved to Labour Day. People want that weekend to make a last trip to the cottage, to get ready for school, pack and go to college, etc. When we announced the dates Keystone was an event in September that had an inauspicious launch in 2018. Wizard Chicago, is what it is. We've overlapped with DragonCon every year we've been on Labour Day weekend, hasn't had any impact.

Edited by Kevin Boyd