• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fan Expo Canada, August 22-25, 2019
2 2

192 posts in this topic

We have zero control over scheduling when publishers print their books. ZERO. Yes. missed opportunities for sure.

In 2017 when Jim was here last his Package signings went way too long, and it was the first show he'd done something like that so in the subsequent two years and a half dozen other events where Jim has had these events with our team we know what to expect, how long they can run and have taken all of that into account so I don't anticipate what happened with his public signing in 2017 happening in 2019. 

19 hours ago, KIL0Graham said:

I’m sort of dreading the thought of just how much time I’m going to have to waste this year waiting for artists to arrive for they’re signings. Last time Jim Lee was in attendance he was 2.5 hours late for his public signing. Same with Greg Capullo, always late for his signings. And the staff never have any info as to when they’re going to show up.

I can give you some first hand experience from the Jim Lee Experience.  I did it at Fan Expo Dallas last May.  It was a 1hr time slot for each, the line started well before 3 it seemed but I showed up around 3:30 for the 4pm Ultimate experience.  Jim came out around 4:05 or so and jumped right into signing and selfies.  He spent a little time with each person.  It was a really great interaction imo and well worth the money spent.  I can tell you expect a crowd, there was a TON of people waiting for the unwitnessed slot.

Those other two shows won't have anything even remotely like the comics talent we have at Fan Expo Canada 2019. 

Here's a guest from next week's announcement that Jim Lee fans will appreciate: Alex Sinclair will be a guest at the event. So many opportunities for triples as Scott Williams inks and Alex colors Jim's art. 

20 minutes ago, Kevin Boyd said:

Sci-fi queen and star of Firefly, Arrow and Terminator: The Sarah Chronicles, Summer Glau is coming to FAN EXPO Canada. 

66395137_2452190148165894_3482921686225911808_n.jpg

nice I loved her in Sarah Conner Chronicles.

13 minutes ago, Kevin Boyd said:

Why quote me? I posted in the wrong thread. Super excited! 

Fan Expo Canada - we're getting an incredible round of new guests tomorrow!

Damn I thought you just accidentally put Boston instead of Toronto lol still looking forward to the new guest announcements.

8 hours ago, Kevin Boyd said:

DC is back at FAN EXPO Canada! Check out our big booth experience with DC collectibles on display, exclusive comics for sale, tons of giveaways, portfolio reviews, and more! Swing by Booth #838 

66588652_2457560547628854_6480287565768294400_n.png

Will there be signings at the DC booth?

ADDED THIS WEEK:

STEVE MCNIVEN

HUMBERTO RAMOS

JUANJO GUARNIDO (FR/SA) 

NEAL ADAMS

MIRKA ANDOLFO

MIKE GRELL

KLAUS JANSON

KEN LASHLEY

ALEX SINCLAIR

BRIAN STELFREEZE

JOEL ADAMS

FRANCINE DELGADO

FRANCISCO HERRERA

RICARDO LOPEZ ORTIZ

ALEX MILNE

STEPHANIE PHILLIPS

STEPHANE ROUX

JOE RUBINSTEIN

STEVE SADOWSKI

EVAN ‘DOC’ SHANER

GERARDO ZAFFINO

JOHN HEBERT

JOE NG

https://www.fanexpocanada.com/en/guests/comic-creators.html

67111139_2459191530799089_6168088677944655872_n.jpg

Edited by Kevin Boyd

Will Jim be doing any public signings this year or only at his experience? Do you also know which days he will be attending? Same with McFarlane?

As well, will last years issues with public signings be resolved this year? The public signing area on the comic side was cut in half last year and most signings occurred at the artists booths, which resulted in major confusion on where pass holders stand and congestion. VIP pass holders seemed to be an afterthought last year and had to jump through hoops or hunt for event organizers to get front of the line privileges. Will VIP pass holders be able to get front of the line access at public signings in the comic area and does that also apply to the mass signings at the artists booths?

Thank you Kevin for all of your hard work!

On 6/18/2019 at 10:20 AM, Kevin Boyd said:

Special ticketed events are yet be formally announced (sorry I have not been given an exact date yet). But here's what to expect:

- Jim Lee Ultimate Experience - 2 package types - 1) Regular and 2) Graded Comics (aka a Witness present and Jim Lee's per book fee built into the price) - prices and final details pending 

- 80 Years of Batman VIP Event - similar to Dallas and Orlando, but the participants will be based around the creators appearing at the show price and details pending

- a Tim Sale Sketch Package - sketch and roundtable discussion for a limited number of people, price and details pending

- Venom VIP - similar to Dallas and Orlando, participants based around the creators appearing at the show price and details pending

That's all I'm aware of at the moment. Details for these will be announced first to VIPs and then to everyone else very soon. 

Will the 80 Years of Batman be a ticketed only event or will there also be a public event? Same thing with Jim Lee, will he be having any public events or panels or just the ticketed Experience?

10 hours ago, Captain Canuck said:

Will Jim be doing any public signings this year or only at his experience? Do you also know which days he will be attending? Same with McFarlane?

As well, will last years issues with public signings be resolved this year? The public signing area on the comic side was cut in half last year and most signings occurred at the artists booths, which resulted in major confusion on where pass holders stand and congestion. VIP pass holders seemed to be an afterthought last year and had to jump through hoops or hunt for event organizers to get front of the line privileges. Will VIP pass holders be able to get front of the line access at public signings in the comic area and does that also apply to the mass signings at the artists booths?

Thank you Kevin for all of your hard work!

1. Will Jim Lee be doing a public signing? Yes.

2. Do I know what days he'll be attending? Sort of. Definitely Saturday, possibly more.

3. Do I know what days Todd will be attending? No, I don't yet know what days he will be attending. 

4. Very dramatic. No, it was not cut in half last year. In 2017 the area was reduced to two signing areas, in 2018 it was restored to 3. What disappeared was the curtaining on the right side and instead the area was left open so that space could be used for lines at the Comic Sketch Art tables since the CSA creator signings take place at their booths and many are big name creators like Capulo, Finch, etc.

5. Signings at the Comic Sketch Art table are run by CSA. If the queues in the signing area are available, we have used them to line people up for a big signing in their area so as not to clog the aisles and we do our best to ensure VIPs are respected at the biggest signings.

That being said, there was an idea for 2019 that is still being developed I'm not at liberty to discuss yet.

Also, I understand the frustrations, but anyone who threatens a volunteer or staff member loses their line privileges.

10 hours ago, Captain Canuck said:

Will the 80 Years of Batman be a ticketed only event or will there also be a public event? Same thing with Jim Lee, will he be having any public events or panels or just the ticketed Experience?

1. Both.

A) "Celebrate 80 Years of Batman" will be a private, ticketed event with a Q and A and signings.

B) DC has been holding "80 Years of Batman" public panels at the event, which are free with admission in one of the panel rooms. It isn't a signing event.

2. Jim Lee: see previous answers. 2 experience packages, a public panel and a limited public signing of 1 item per person, no items for grading --- If he only does the one day he's scheduled for. He may do more, which is why his days are not specified yet.