• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What tier grading should I use ?

6 posts in this topic

On 12/20/2018 at 3:32 PM, Hughes124 said:

Hi new to the comic world and wondering what tier grading I should use for each age of comics ? 

Thanks 

Greetings. You should really peruse the CGC website yourself, it has all the basics for submitting. The only tier reference to the 'age' of a comic is the 'Modern' tier, which is allowed to be anything 1975 - present.  Otherwise, the tiers are not a reflection of the age of the comic, more a reflection of value. Note the different tiers have have different turnaround times, which are priced accordingly. This was taken from the website, study it on your own !

Screenshot (1394).png

On 12/31/2018 at 9:45 AM, Bomber-Bob said:

Otherwise, the tiers are not a reflection of the age of the comic, more a reflection of value.

Would it not be best for the submittor to simply put everything in at the lowest value tier then and leave it for CGC to raise it to the next level if they deem it appropriate?  hm

Especially since you don't know what the final grade on the book is and whether there is any restoration or not which would significantly decrease the value of the book.

30 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Would it not be best for the submittor to simply put everything in at the lowest value tier then and leave it for CGC to raise it to the next level if they deem it appropriate?  hm

Especially since you don't know what the final grade on the book is and whether there is any restoration or not which would significantly decrease the value of the book.

Well, the lowest level tier has a current TAT of 60 business days, not sure if that is what he wants. SInce I don't know what books he is submitting it's really difficult to say. I understand the concept of when the value is close, put it in the lower tier but simply putting everything into the lowest tier, not sure if that is a good thing. Personally, I always like to get my books back as soon as possible and would rather use a higher tier. Should you get a hamburger or a hot dog ? I have no opinion. 

On 1/6/2019 at 11:08 AM, Bomber-Bob said:
On 1/6/2019 at 10:32 AM, lou_fine said:

Well, the lowest level tier has a current TAT of 60 business days, not sure if that is what he wants. SInce I don't know what books he is submitting it's really difficult to say. I understand the concept of when the value is close, put it in the lower tier but simply putting everything into the lowest tier, not sure if that is a good thing. Personally, I always like to get my books back as soon as possible and would rather use a higher tier. Should you get a hamburger or a hot dog ? I have no opinion. 

Well, I guess it's really to each their own.  (thumbsu

Being a long term collector, any book that's worth slabbing is probably one that I've most likely had in my collection for decades already.  As a result, I certainly wouldn't be willing to pay additional monies simply to try to speed up the grading process.  

Now, if you was a speculator trying to flip the latest hot book that was just released before it loses all of its speculative value, I imagine speed would be much more critical here. Definitely not a game that I would want to be playing though.  

2 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Now, if you was a speculator trying to flip the latest hot book that was just released before it loses all of its speculative value, I imagine speed would be much more critical here. Definitely not a game that I would want to be playing though.  

This statement is absolutely true. The first 9.8's on the block usually get the most money.  The OP didn't really give us much information to give him a good answer. It would be helpful to know what kind of books he is submitting.