• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Not sure if storing correctly

25 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

Welcome to the boards and the hobby.  

Reading a comic may cause damage so you'll have to decide what's most important to you or you'll have to buy two copies of everything, one for reading and one for preserving in high grade.  Even if you buy two copies of each book you'll still go nuts as the copy you read may end up higher grade than the copy you don't read as not every book is mint when you buy it.

Thanks for the welcome :)

Don’t have the cash to buy doubles of everything (joys of studying Military History), but there are certain covers i don’t want to risk getting damaged and would buy duplicates for. Not really sure what to do with some of the older stuff I’ve got though; I’ve got stuff I like the cover art of and want to read (specifically the 2006-7 Hawkgirl series), but can’t easily get duplicates of and having been holding off on reading for fear of damaging. Friend suggested maybe getting collected editions to read, then filling in my collection of single issues over time as a solution.

Even if I do go the duplicates/Ebook/collected editions route, I’d still like to be able to handle stuff with confidence. So from what I’ve gathered thus far:

1: Have clean hands (or gloves)

2: Lay the comic on a flat surface or some sort of cradle.

3: Gently lift pages, allow to fall naturally, don’t open the book fully (not quite sure I get this one: seems like it would be hard to read a book half closed).

4: Try not to eat or drink around the books.

So that Justice League I posted: I know it’s unlikely to ever be worth much, but I do like the cover art. Have the pages bended badly enough to warrant getting a duplicate, or is it alright? 

Edited by Hewitt

3 hours ago, Hewitt said:

So that Justice League I posted: I know it’s unlikely to ever be worth much, but I do like the cover art. Have the pages bended badly enough to warrant getting a duplicate, or is it alright? 

Nah, definitely not.  Just store that book normally.  There's little likelihood that you'll be slabbing that book down the road anyways, so it's largely irrelevant.  And even if you do want to slab it, you can just send it in for pressing first if you so choose.

On 1/9/2019 at 1:51 PM, Hewitt said:

Thanks for the welcome :)

Don’t have the cash to buy doubles of everything (joys of studying Military History), but there are certain covers i don’t want to risk getting damaged and would buy duplicates for. Not really sure what to do with some of the older stuff I’ve got though; I’ve got stuff I like the cover art of and want to read (specifically the 2006-7 Hawkgirl series), but can’t easily get duplicates of and having been holding off on reading for fear of damaging. Friend suggested maybe getting collected editions to read, then filling in my collection of single issues over time as a solution.

Even if I do go the duplicates/Ebook/collected editions route, I’d still like to be able to handle stuff with confidence. So from what I’ve gathered thus far:

1: Have clean hands (or gloves)

2: Lay the comic on a flat surface or some sort of cradle.

3: Gently lift pages, allow to fall naturally, don’t open the book fully (not quite sure I get this one: seems like it would be hard to read a book half closed).

4: Try not to eat or drink around the books.Do not eat or drink around your books!

I fixed that for you.  Everything else looks good

4 hours ago, juniorMC said:

Dont belive anyone has mentioned this, but I store my high grade books by using 2 to 4 boards per bag. That makes it sturdy

Good idea. I used to do three board / double Mylite2 for mine - they made the book into a sturdy slab - pictures in this thread here: