• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic related Xmas gifts recieved this year from family or friends
5 5

39 posts in this topic

On 12/25/2018 at 3:36 PM, punksdropdirtysrh said:

Here’s a nice trio of gifts I received from my mother. Wanted the complete Batman Animated series most of all. Then a couple books (without pictures in them!?! lol) from well known collectors. Corey Taylor is a huge comics nerd and one of my favorite people in general. Always enjoy his writing voice. Then I discovered Jeremy Wagner of the band Broken Hope this year, and wanted to give his latest novel a try. 

A79B3DD4-8F23-4F14-A5E3-D331DB5BF5CE.thumb.jpeg.b4277c78ed417bce72ce8ae32dd84681.jpeg

I know you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but both of those look great. Never heard of either author but will check them out based purely on the art aesthetic here.

On 12/25/2018 at 7:31 PM, Bird said:

DvTWms5X4AA_1Gv.jpg

Daughter #1 bought the statue, I told her where to get it and the hours of the store et al. The glasses are from wifey, she promises to hand wash them if I use them as I never use theones Ihave on display in my comic room. The tee shirt is from my mother-in-law, she gave me one last year and I told her to get me another and wifey provided her with choices. She won't get me any with barely dressed ladies so this year was Death Dealer and last year the sled being pulled by polar bears.

It has been years and years since I got so many gifts that I actually like and asked for directly. Dey done good!!!

For some reason I always thought @HollyJollyOne's avatar was that exact Frazetta image, as incongruous as that would have been with the season. lol

I didn't get much for Christmas at all (my choice) and I'm cool with that. But my daughter got me Jamie Newbold's book "The Forensic Comicologist". Very highly recomended. Hard for me to put down. I've known Jamie for probably 40 years. He is a local So CA boy. Lots of stories about guys we knew and places we haunted looking for comics. The Rose Bowl Flea Market, Cherokee and Collector's bookstores in Hollywood and the very early SDCCs at the El Cortez hotel. Been real fun to read. Happy New Year gang!

From my wife,

1 Iron Fist acrylic painting on canvas commissioned from my brother, and inlaid in a plexiglass hanging frame

2 Double page splash/spread featuring the Fantasticar from X4 by Pat Lee

3 Vintage Batman wall light (with original box)

Not pictured USS Enterprise blue tooth speaker, Batman Lego app controlled Batmobile, and Propel x-wing fighter drone (all from my son)

IMG_0149.JPG

IMG_0150.JPG

IMG_0153.JPG

25 minutes ago, jason4 said:

Wife and I agreed to get each other whatever the other person wanted most within 200 dollars as one of the gifts...so I got the X-men 12 in the picture to go with my other raw x and avengers related books as my choice. 

594A7058-5712-498C-87E9-67C2BFD91CC0.jpeg

It's a classic! After I bought it and read it, I wanted #13 as Well

Congrats!

8 hours ago, Pontoon said:

Christmas! Hooray for happy fun! Lots of comic related gifts around the Pontoon household this year.

The missus got me these:

Rich-Xmas-Comics.jpg

And this, a new Treasury Edition!

X-Men-Design.jpg

X-Men-Design-b.jpg

Santa brought cool calenders for the family and for Pontoon the Younger:

Xmas-Calendars-a.jpg

Xmas-Calendars.jpg

The little guy also got some cool books:

Miguel-Xmas-Books.jpg

Wife got me this CD which I’ve been meaning to buy for a long time:

Jonny-Quest-CD.jpg

Junior got me this Star Trek mug; the characters “transport” to the other side when hot liquid is added:

Star-Trek-mug.jpg

Star-Trek-mug-b.jpg

My son added these guys to his crazy kaiju collection:

Kaiju-Guys-2018.jpg

Plus a few shirts:

Ultraman-shirt-2018.jpg

Gargantuas-shirt-2018.jpg

Svengoolie.jpg

I got this for the missus and would like to read it myself:

Green-Hand.jpg

Santa also brought us some Blu-rays:

Xmas-Videos.jpg

You have an awesome family 

23 hours ago, Pontoon said:

Christmas! Hooray for happy fun! Lots of comic related gifts around the Pontoon household this year.

The missus got me these

And this, a new Treasury Edition!

X-Men-Design.jpg

X-Men-Design-b.jpg

whoa-- did Marvel start making hard cover treasuries or is this some sort of omnibus that they made in treasury format?

edit: did some digging on my own to understand what is going with this issue released in April 2018. Though looking at these pictures, it does not seem to be actual treasury size.

Edited by 01TheDude
thanks google

It's treasury sized and not a hardcover, though the cover stock is much sturdier than a standard paperback. The second volume came out a few months ago IIRC, still need to pick that up.

Marvel has been quietly publishing treasury editions the last few years; I was shocked to see them in the LCS. There's Spider-man, Guardians of the Galaxy, The Women of Marvel and a Stan Lee Treasury, which I think is more like an oversized hardcover and huge; I haven't seen it in person. These are pictures I grabbed from the internet:

spidey treasury.jpg

gotg treasury.jpg

women treasury.jpg

stan lee treasury.jpg

Edited by Dick Pontoon

My daughter came through with the annual Dilbert Desk Calendar, and the hardest puzzle I've ever done - 1000 piece DC characters - just finished it today.

DC Puzzle 2019.jpg